Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Crustless quiche recipes

amother

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 4:08 pm
looking for tried and true crustless milichig quiche recipes for Chanuka. Please share. Thanks so much!!!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 6:40 pm
This can be made with cheese for milky version, but also goes nicely without cheese as parve.

Crustless courgette (zucchini) quiche

3 large, or 4 medium courgettes, scrubbed, topped and tailed
1 medium onion, finely chopped
salt & pepper
5-6 eggs (depending on the egg size)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (kashkaval is the best but cheddar, feta, gouda etc will do)

Shred courgettes coarsely using a grater or a food processor. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan, add onions and sautee first for 5-10min till slightly browned. Add courgettes, season with salt & pepper, and sautee over high flame for about 10minutes till cooked. Turn off heat and let cool. Squeeze as much liquid as possible (save the liquid and use it for soup). Beat eggs with fork in a bowl, tip in sauteed vegetables and all but a few tbsp of cheese. Check seasoning. Spray oil in a 18cm diameter deep round foil pan. Tip egg/courgette/cheese mix. Sprinkle remainder of cheese on top. Bake in 180C oven for about 30-40min till the top is brown and puffy and centre is set.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 7:17 pm
You don't need a special "crustless" recipe. Use any old recipe, leave out the crust and bake in a Pyrex or Corningware pan.

Teacup9

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 11:27 pm
Thank you Mrs Bissli!

I know it is not the same as a quiche but I tried my basic parve pumpkin pie recipe without a crust recently and it failed. I too am interested in more crustless recipes.

mandksima

Post Fri, Dec 07 2012, 2:54 am
Teacup9 wrote:
Thank you Mrs Bissli!

I know it is not the same as a quiche but I tried my basic parve pumpkin pie recipe without a crust recently and it failed. I too am interested in more crustless recipes.

How did it fail? I make it all of the time crustless. Sometimes it still lifts out of the dish as a slice, sometimes not, I don't consider that failing. Crustless quiches are always more fragile. Make in individual ramekins if you don't want to worry about falling apart or treat it more like a pudding and serve with a spoon.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Dec 08 2012, 3:14 pm
I think some quiche/pie recipes are meant to be "structurally supported" by shells/crusts. Without these, they may wobble/fail a bit. If the recipe calls for cream or liquid you can cut back. Also maybe add another egg and a tablespoon or so of matza meal to thicken the mix.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics