Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Anyone an english teacher who reads novels with class?

mommy#1

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 8:53 pm
I need any novel, with at least 10 quotes from the novel, 5 of which are flashbacks and 5 that aren't
its for a government test, so it must be accurate. I tried searching online and cant find anything that helps me. it has to all be from the same novel, it doesn't matter which novel
thanks!!!

Reality

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 8:55 pm
What grade level?

Reality

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 8:58 pm
Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. Excellent book. Won the Newberry Award. Upper elementary grade level.

mommy#1

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 9:05 pm
it doesn't matter what grade level. the students do not know the novel, nor will they read it. its a standardized government test that we have to revise for the students because they are special ed. so basically im making up the test based on government guidelines. it can be a novel on a 3rd grade level, or 12th grade level. I need the quotes; I don't need to know what the story is about. thanks a lot

Reality

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 9:27 pm
Well I am not an english teacher so I don't have the book anymore. I borrowed it from the library. I doubt that anyone is going to type out all those quotes that you need. That is asking alot. My suggestion is go to the library and take it out. It's a great book and fits your criteria to a tee... I don't really understand how you can make up a test or report or whatever using a book you haven't read.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 9:36 pm
This sounds unethical-its as though you are scamming the govt. Is there a reason why the kids can't read the book and take a test afterwards based on what they have read?

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 10:05 pm
I am confused. Who is taking the test? You or the students? Are you their teacher? Are they supposed to have read the book first (if you weren't making modifications), or do you just need to use the quotes to illustrate something to them?

mommy#1

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 4:07 am
Thanks for your book recommendation, I think I will get it. I didnt mean to be asking a lot; I really meant it for a teacher who knows the novel well and who it wouldnt be hard for to just type some quotes she knows by heart.
As for the rest of you, no, I am not scamming the government. This is for really really low functioning students. I am not their teacher, I am just in charge of making up the test. The idea for this link to the test is just that the students know what flashback is (which they dont, so they all score 0, but the government says this is the most far link they can give; this is already special ed) the board of ed does not want the students to read the book, they only want them to choose from a field of 2 or 3 which is the quote that contains flashback. First my friend made up a bunch of quotes herself, some which contain flashback and some which dont, but the board of ed said it has to be real quotes from a novel.
And now I must get ready for work, I just had to type this out before so no one thinks im cheating the government

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 4:23 am
How can the students know which sequences are flashbacks unless they read the book? Unless the flashbacks contain historical clues.

BTW, if you google "children's literature flashbacks" you can get some ideas of appropriate books.

mommy#1

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 9:21 pm
I found quotes, thanks a lot
drmom, the government doesn't want the students to read the book. the point is to have one quote from the book that says something like "I remember that day, when my mom took me..." and another quote that says "I am so excited to go..." and they have to choose the first one as a sentence with flashback. that is why my friend first made up her own sentences; she thought its fine, because the students don't have to read anything, they just have to read the sentences. but for some odd reason the board of ed said it has to come from a novel

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 12:54 am
mommy#1 wrote:
I found quotes, thanks a lot
drmom, the government doesn't want the students to read the book. the point is to have one quote from the book that says something like "I remember that day, when my mom took me..." and another quote that says "I am so excited to go..." and they have to choose the first one as a sentence with flashback. that is why my friend first made up her own sentences; she thought its fine, because the students don't have to read anything, they just have to read the sentences. but for some odd reason the board of ed said it has to come from a novel

You should gather all the paragraphs the other teacher wrote and publish them (lots of self-publishing sites to be found on the internet). Then they will be from a novel. The you can use them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics