Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
At my wits end

Jewishmofm

Post Fri, Jul 12 2013, 5:51 pm
I know that the best way to instill values or patterns of behavior is as a role model. My issue is that when I am pregnant (like now for example) I really can't/don't care to do much beyond turning over in bed. the only thing medically that we can come up with is anemia, and I'm popping iron/vitamin c/multivitamins like there's no tomorrow. So to my question: How do I get my kids (10,8,6 and even the younger ones a bit) to help out around the house? For example, when I want the kitchen cleaned, I usually do the lions share, and have them pitch in appropriately (one will empty the dishwasher, one will do a basic sweep, one will work with me putting things away, etc) but now . . . they won't even do those things. I'm getting soooo frustrated and tired of being sick and tired, and I can't help directing some of that angst at them when I ask/tell them to pitch in and get nothing. And the mess grows bigger every single day . . . I guess this is turning into more of a vent less of a question . . . How do we teach our children when we can't model for them!?!

happybeingamom

Post Fri, Jul 12 2013, 6:00 pm
Charts for chores and rewards for doing them on a weekly/monthly basis.

Kids need to be motivated, house work is not fun so they need incentives. I don't consider this bribery, we all work better if our boss gives us bonuses. I love to be appreciated for the work I do.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jul 12 2013, 6:01 pm
My kids help out much better if I let them play music they like.

momX4

Post Fri, Jul 12 2013, 6:15 pm
Charts for cleaning didn't work for me. My kids wanted prizes right away.

Every friday each dc gets 2 jobs to do. When the house is ready for shabbos they can pick a prize. I have really great stuff like gedolim cards, duct tape, punching ballons. Sometimes they will offer to help more or to watch the baby so that the house get cleaned faster. I also don't fight when someone doesn't want to help-they don't get to pick a prize.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics