Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Looks like DH may be out of a job... AGAIN!!

amother

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 6:11 pm
I thought the recession was supposed to be over!! This is the 5th job he has been fired from in 2 yearws! No job has ever lasted longer than 6 months! We are depending on his salary and the insurance from his employer. I work part-time. It doesn't pay for me to work full-time because then I have to pay for extra childcare.

Not sure what to do. He is so down about it and so am I, but of course I can't show him because I have to be the strong one...

Crying Crying Crying

happyone

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 6:23 pm
I am so sorry for you... . Job hunting is difficult. I would question if he's exploring the right job for himself if it's the fifth job. Maybe he should see what went wrong in each case and figure out if he should perhaps be looking at different options which he is more likely to be successful in.

Hang in there. It's a tough one!

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 6:28 pm
IMO you can't blame this on the recession. Something is making DH not employable. He landed five jobs during hard times. He is having trouble keeping them. This is not normal even during hard economic times.

Perhaps there is something in his work ethic or his personality that is clashing with his professional environment.

You don't have to be down about it. You can be the strong one and be pro-active so you can help figure out the problem and move toward a solution. Perhaps you can consider working temporarily.

mirror

Post Sat, Jul 20 2013, 10:24 pm
Does he have marketable job skills?

amother

Post Sat, Jul 20 2013, 10:42 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
Does he have marketable job skills?

OP here,

Yes, he has a masters degree and got some good experience working at his previous jobs.

groisamomma

Post Sat, Jul 20 2013, 11:04 pm
What reasons are his employers giving for firing him?

amother

Post Sat, Jul 20 2013, 11:49 pm
groisamomma wrote:
What reasons are his employers giving for firing him?

The first company said because of "sloppy work." DH admits when he took that job he expected to be trained in and he wasn't, therefore it took him a while to learn the company software. No job after that gave him a reason.

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Jul 20 2013, 11:54 pm
ITA - this doesn't sound like it's an economic down pull if it's been 5 jobs in 2 years.

Something is going on and dh has to be proactive. Have him call the HR people at his last jobs and ask why he was let go? Tell them that he's looking to improve his skills, etc. and what should he work on?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 12:00 am
Squishy wrote:
IMO you can't blame this on the recession. Something is making DH not employable. He landed five jobs during hard times. He is having trouble keeping them. This is not normal even during hard economic times.

Perhaps there is something in his work ethic or his personality that is clashing with his professional environment.

You don't have to be down about it. You can be the strong one and be pro-active so you can help figure out the problem and move toward a solution. Perhaps you can consider working temporarily.

I don't know if this is true for the OP or not, but my husband has been repeatedly laid off, never for cause in his career. He has stellar references from any job he leaves. The last time it happened, two months before he was put in charge of a third of the agency he worked for and given a 45K (yes, you read it right) raise. He went through weeks of trying to figure out how to lay people off effectively and in the end, he went to work on the day after sukkot expecting to have to lay people off and instead, he was laid off. The Friday before, his immediate boss, who he reported to told him he was safe, that everyone loved working with him. She was one of his references for the next job he got. Her boses, picked his name off the salary spread sheet. Interestingly its a small world in his field and he is now seeing that it was for the best. The time before, the american owners of the company closed the canadian office. Who even remembers the time before that.

He is always very hard on himself when this happens, and he tries so hard to figure out what it is that went wrong. I think personally he has just been working in a field that has big ups and downs. I have learned to live with it and don't actually think that any job he gets is one that will last. Expectations breed disappointments for me.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 6:53 am
chanamiriam wrote:
Squishy wrote:

I don't know if this is true for the OP or not, but my husband has been repeatedly laid off, never for cause in his career. He has stellar references from any job he leaves. The last time it happened, two months before he was put in charge of a third of the agency he worked for and given a 45K (yes, you read it right) raise. He went through weeks of trying to figure out how to lay people off effectively and in the end, he went to work on the day after sukkot expecting to have to lay people off and instead, he was laid off. The Friday before, his immediate boss, who he reported to told him he was safe, that everyone loved working with him. She was one of his references for the next job he got. Her boses, picked his name off the salary spread sheet. Interestingly its a small world in his field and he is now seeing that it was for the best. The time before, the american owners of the company closed the canadian office. Who even remembers the time before that.

He is always very hard on himself when this happens, and he tries so hard to figure out what it is that went wrong. I think personally he has just been working in a field that has big ups and downs. I have learned to live with it and don't actually think that any job he gets is one that will last. Expectations breed disappointments for me.

That's what I was wondering. Was OP's husband "fired" or "laid off"? Two VERY different things!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 5:10 pm
OP here,

he was FIRED. not laid off because of company downsizing. All times they said "it's not working out." One time he got told off for coming late, and then got fired shortly afterwards. One time his work got a bad review (that was the time they told him it was sloppy work).

Peanut2

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 6:26 pm
If DH isn't working right now can't you get a full time job (or try) and have the burden of childcare fall on him?

Would that work for you two?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 7:08 pm
If he's lost his job for cause 5 times in 2 years it would seem he is not in the right industry. My ex worked in law and kept losing jobs because of his inability to stay organized and say no to people. I tried to get him to consider chinuch, but he had this idea that he should be a lawyer.

If your DH is going to remain the breadwinner, he is going to need to find a job he can keep. I agree with the other poster who asked if you can take a full time job while he figures out what is going on. There is a great book on finding a career called "What Color is Your Parachute" that I highly recommend.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 9:09 pm
To get hired 5 times, have a Master's and have "good experience", he has smarts.

He will tutor, and get a teaching gig, perhaps.

But he will be self-employed as a Tech expert, perhaps with a partner who has schmoozier interpersonal skills than he has. He wil be a consultant. You may end up his business manager, filing receipts.

Not everybody is cut out for office routines, and office chain of command.

Let him design software in the middle of the night, when it's quiet and he can think.

But he has to get busy right away. There is no time for moping.

He isn't unemployed, he's self-employed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics