Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Highland Park/Edison questions

amother

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 1:34 pm
We are considering a move to HP/Edison and we have some specific questions

A.
It seems to me that there are 5 neighborhoods were frum people live.
1. North Side
2. South Side
3. Triangle
4. Crossways
5. apple and cherry area

Is this correct?
And if so, can someone help me please to give me street names for each of these areas so I can see on a google map which streets are ones that frum people live on?

B.
Is the preschool at Yeshivat Shaarei Tzion a warm and loving enviornment? Are the staff and directors warm and loving?

C. How is the mikva?

D. What hospitals are in the area? Where do people go for ER visits or labor or anything else?

E. Are there houses for sale or rent in the frum areas? Can anyone recommend any frum realtors?

Please help!
Thanks!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 2:06 pm
I can try to answer a few of your questions:
amother wrote:

C. How is the mikva?

There is a nice mikvah in town. The only problem is the hours. Because its not such a big community the mikvah is only open 2 hours a night. But there is not usually a wait. And you can always pay extra to go out of hours.
amother wrote:

D. What hospitals are in the area? Where do people go for ER visits or labor or anything else?
Robert Wood Johnson and St Peters are both in New Brunswick (15min drive) Many women from Lakewood come to give birth here. Also RWJ has a top childrens hospital and rehab
amother wrote:

E. Are there houses for sale or rent in the frum areas? Can anyone recommend any frum realtors?
Juliet Krumholtz
MWL Preferred Properties, LLC
822 Raritan Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
Cell:(732)762-6543/Tel:(732)985-5484x23/Fax:(732)985-5276

amother

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 3:36 pm
search "highland park, NJ" in google maps.

SOUTH SIDE: from the raritan river up to raritan ave (magnolia, benner, felton, valentine, donaldson)

NORTH SIDE: above raritan ave (ex: harrison, lincoln, lawrence, abbot, wayne, south park)

TRIANGLE: where raritan splits into raritan and woodbridge- between the two, which make a triangle. (barnard, columbia, exeter)
cherry is in the trinagle, and apple is too, I guess. I didn't know frum people lived that far out, but the community has grown since I left 5 years ago.

CROSSWAYS: (This is kinda an estimate) The north side basically ends after Highland, Washington and Lexington ave.s Crossways are basically between Brookhill and Plainfield, and between Raritan (which I think it's called Lincoln HWY on the map at that point.) and Central, or Price Dr.)

amother

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 3:39 pm
Sorry- that was supposed to be: A., not 1.

Also, some major frum streets were/are: Harrison, Edgemount, North 8th, marshall dr, brookfall, fairhill
I am sure many more now.

more when the kids are in bed. Smile

amother

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 3:48 pm
Lots of people moving to the Crossways, cheaper housing. But its not waking distance to the mikvah (for Friday night)

amother

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 4:23 pm
B.
If the same teachers are at Yeshiva Shaarei Tzion preschool as were there a few years ago, they are wonderful. Its a great school, boys, girls and preschool.

C. The mikvah is sweet and simple, clean. limited hours, but I think you can pay more to get it opened just for you. its on south 1st I think, which is quite a walk on shabbos for many parts of highland park/edison.

D.
Robert Wood Johnson is a great hospital, and its just over the bridge from HP to new brunswick, just across the raritan river. A 15 minute walk from the closest houses in Highland Park. Many come from lakewood to deliver there. For OB/GYN, Dr. Segal and Dr. Rathouser's group are excellent.

hatzlacha!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 5:33 pm
There is also a chabad mikva in new brunswick which is very clean, beautiful and private. It is much quieter then the one in town and the plus side is that its by appointment only - so the hours are more flexible and its arranged with the mikva lady on duty that night.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 6:12 pm
amother wrote:
There is also a chabad mikva in new brunswick which is very clean, beautiful and private. It is much quieter then the one in town and the plus side is that its by appointment only - so the hours are more flexible and its arranged with the mikva lady on duty that night.
I've been there a few times. Gorgeous place! My only problem is I always have trouble turning on the shower...

amother

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 6:47 pm
Thank you - that was so helpful! I sat down with a google map and saw the areas for myself.

Now my question is how do I know what each of the 4 neighborhoods are like - in terms of ages of families, and religious spectrum and just in general?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 6:59 am
I am not the OP but I'm also interested in HP/Edison (not the OP). Can anyone give an idea of what tuition is like at Shaarei Tzion?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 9:34 am
amother wrote:
Thank you - that was so helpful! I sat down with a google map and saw the areas for myself.

Now my question is how do I know what each of the 4 neighborhoods are like - in terms of ages of families, and religious spectrum and just in general?
I think you should pick a shul you would feel comfortable davening at and live around there. How important is it for you to live close to a shul? There are many small minyanim Friday night and its normal for people to walk 15/ 20 minutes to shul on Shabbos morning. During the week you can drive, there is always parking. Are you ok with a long walk to shul?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 8:15 am
amother wrote:
I am not the OP but I'm also interested in HP/Edison (not the OP). Can anyone give an idea of what tuition is like at Shaarei Tzion?

Bump

fromnj

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:09 am
This is a map from the OE web site. It shows the entire eruv and the shuls. http://www.hperuv.org/

I haven't lived there in a while, but I think the North side, especially near RPRY, is most expensive. Probably the triangle and south side are tied, although the houses near Donaldson Park can be quite expensive. The triangle has a few newer houses that might be a little more expensive. Now that the Crossways is part of the eruv, the prices there are pretty comparable to the triangle, although I think the lots there are bigger and you pay Edison taxes which are cheaper. Many people shul hop or end up switching based on many factors (quiet, leadership, neighbors, friends, school mates, politics, etc.) so I wouldn't necessarily buy a house to be close to a shul. Rather, I'd buy a house you like, with the features you want.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating