Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where to get GPS that will only lead to safe roads?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 3:32 pm
Renting a car while on vacation in Israel. Where can I borrow/ rent a GPS so I wont end up in unsafe areas?
Can I bring my GPS from USA and plug in or load on some kind of Israeli card?

I am getting the car at the airport

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 3:56 pm
Try waze. Saved us last week when our cars GPS tried navigating us through compromised roads.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 4:20 pm
Heyaaa wrote:
Try waze. Saved us last week when our cars GPS tried navigating us through compromised roads.
I just searched google and it looks like you need a fancy phone for this... I need a GPS, not a phone

rae gi

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 4:25 pm
WAZE

hila

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 2:21 am
Do not rely on Israel GPS. It sees no difference in me driving home to Efrat, and diving in to El Hader or Hussan(Arab towns one would want to avoid).

As the others said WAZE is wonderful.. maybe you can rent a phone for the trip and get some data minutes.

Or us a map book !

Liba

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 2:56 am
Google maps, figure out the routes you want to take and print them out.

sara_s

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 3:03 am
Waze sent us through Arab villages up north. Since they are not over the green line, Waze didn't see them as different

RachelB

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 4:08 am
Waze sent us through a hostile arab village on the way to Kiryat Arba - it was quite scary. I think all GPS can be configured to avoid certain roads. When you rent a car in Israel, many companies do not allow traveling "over the green line" You can rent a GPS with you car.

Liba

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 5:05 am
If you set it not to go over the green line you won't be able to go to the Kosel, kever Rochel, Efrat, Beitar, Kiryat Sefer, or the majority of the country. It isn't guaranteed to keep you out of hostile Arab cities either.

hila

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 5:37 am
RachelB wrote:
Waze sent us through a hostile arab village on the way to Kiryat Arba - it was quite scary. I think all GPS can be configured to avoid certain roads. When you rent a car in Israel, many companies do not allow traveling "over the green line" You can rent a GPS with you car.

Actually you do have to go through an Arab village or two to get to K4. Why do you think it was hostile ?
And did you not see any of our chaylim around ?

Liba

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 5:47 am
RachelB wrote:

Most companies in Israel are operating over the green line.

What companies don't allow traveling over the green line? I have never heard of such a thing!

kalsee

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 6:57 am
I think people may be confusing "over the green line" with "area A". I do know some car companies don't let you drive the car into area A, because in case it's stolen or some other issue they can't go get it back.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 11:59 am
I know I can rent a GPS with the car but I was wondering if there was a program so I can stay on safe roads.

I need to get from airport to yerushalayim. And then I need RT 1 and RT 6 to get up north. Visiting a friend in Karmiel for the afternoon and overnight at the Kinneret. Then back to Yerushalayim where we return the car and take local public transportation the rest of the trip.

We will not be touring with the car, just visiting a few people. It comes out much cheaper to rent a car for those few days than to use buses/ trains.

Are any of these roads unsafe?

Liba

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 12:00 pm
I would do any of the above without worry.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 12:12 pm
Liba wrote:
I would do any of the above without worry.
Do you think I need to look at google maps or can I just depend on any GPS from the rental place?

Liba

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 1:06 pm
Print out some google maps.

I have a GPS which likes to send me places that make no sense.

Print out the maps and compare what have mapped out with what the GPS is suggesting.

You already know where you plan on going, it is worth some paper and printer ink to make sure things go as smoothly and safely as possible.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 1:17 pm
kalsee wrote:
I think people may be confusing "over the green line" with "area A". I do know some car companies don't let you drive the car into area A, because in case it's stolen or some other issue they can't go get it back.
Nope, there are definitely car rental companies at the airport who do not wish their clients to drive past the green line. I do not remember which company it was, but my mother had to switch car rental places because myself and my sister both, who she came to visit, live over the green line, so there are definitely companies like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions