Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Office politics and I am in the middle

amother

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 2:49 am
I was recently hired as a saleswoman in a clothing store. There is the owner who doesnt have much to do in the store. the manager and two other sales women. The manager is an interesting person and the customers dont really like her and will try to come in to the store when she is not there, The other two works have complained to me about her and they do have valid complainants bec. I feel the same way. It is very hard to work with her bec. of her personality, My co workers and I have been trying to figure out how to get her another job so she will leave. Now one co worker is out bec she is sick and not sure if she is coming back and my other co worker went to the owner to complain about our manager and I am not sure if it got back to my manager but she told me that my co worker is not coming back. So that leaves me and the manager to run the store. I really cant work with her. Now what do I do? The owner likes her and I dont think will firer her. Do I go to the owner and tell her that the co worker is correct and risk my job or just live with it and try to work with a manager that is hard to deal with?

shalhevet

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 2:55 am
I would stay out of it, unless the owner asks you. The owner knows you are there and knows to ask your opinion if they want to. There are also halachic issues of lashon hara etc., if this involves Jewish people - you need to ask a rav whether to say something and what to say if you are asked.

I would also start looking for another job if you feel you can't work in this set-up.

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 3:10 am
It's an interesting question. While I hear Shalhevet's point, at the same time, if the owner is losing business because of this woman, I'd think she has the right to know. Maybe ask your LOR for the exact laws of Lashon Hara in this case.

I used to own a store that employed several workers throughout the week. A woman called me up and told me something that had happened while she was in the store. Subsequently, I let one of my workers go. I'm very thankful she told me as I could have potentially lost a lot of money due to this worker. Again, I'm no LH expert, but there's definitely an argument for both sides here.

(If you do end up saying something, it's best to leave yourself out of it. You can say what the customer's opinions are but don't mention your own. That way, if the boss doesn't fire her but just asks her to do things differently, things won't be uncomfortable between the two of you.)

imasinger

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 6:53 am
Probably the most effective strategy at this point would be to find another job, ask for an exit interview, and tell the owner why you are leaving.

The other strategy might have been if all 3 of you had gone to the owner together with your concerns.

I agree that you should also consult a rav.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 7:21 am
I like Mrs. K's advice. If I were the store owner, I would certainly want to know if an employee was driving my business away.

On the other hand, how desperately do you need this job, and what are your prospects of finding another one that would be more suitable?

If you'll starve without the income, I'd say keep your mouth shut and deal with it. The economy is horrible (no news there) and many people are looking for work. If there are other stores in your area that are hiring, then start making discreet inquiries. If the chance of finding another job is pretty remote, then again, just deal with it until you hear of something better. Your family has to come first.

If you can afford the possibility of everything backfiring and you getting let go, then definitely go to a rav and find out how you can talk to the owner.

I HATE office politics! This is why I work for myself. Mad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics