Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Anyone teach for misrad hachinuch?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:35 pm
My husband is in the process of getting a teudat hora'a and he's been offered a job teaching english 3 times a week to 4th grade for 30 shekels an hour - about 360 shekels a month.

how much would he get paid if he had a degree already? does this make any sense or are they totally taking advantage?

Karnash

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 3:37 pm
If the job is in an accredited school thru misrad hachinuch, he should be getting paid according to the official pay scale. Salary is dependent on experience and qualifications. That being said, I can't see why he would tie himself down to a job that's only 3 hours a week. There is a demand for English teachers and a shortage of male teachers who can teach in boys' schools. If he wants to teach English there will probably be better opportunities available. Believe it or not, sometimes jobs open up in September or even later.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
My husband is in the process of getting a teudat hora'a and he's been offered a job teaching english 3 times a week to 4th grade for 30 shekels an hour - about 360 shekels a month.

how much would he get paid if he had a degree already? does this make any sense or are they totally taking advantage?

It's not a real job. Schools often try to get people to work as 'extras' by hour. A real teacher (and not only from misrad hachinuch, there are other organizations that pay teachers, like bnei akiva I think) gets paid by month, not by hour. S/he gets paid transportation, vacation (including summer), etc.

However, it's not rare that schools try to do this. If your husband is a native English speaker and has a BA, he can do much much better than that even before he has his teudat hora'a, definitely in areas with less English speakers.

It is a bit late to find 'real' teaching positions, although some schools are desperately looking. At this point, though, it's mainly by word of mouth. Ask other English teachers in your area if any schools are looking. Go to each school and give them your cv, in English AND Hebrew. And here's a site that many schools use to find English teachers: http://www.etni.org/phpbb_new/.....46969

amother

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 12:42 am
He was not looking for a job at all yet -he is very bust with school and with another job at this point, and was only considering this because it fell into his lap and seemed like a possible foot in the door for future oppurtunities. My question is if he can ask for more money or not per hour should he decided to take it - at this point we are not sure if its worth his time...

Karnash

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 1:01 am
If it is per hour and not per month including vacation, sick leave etc., I would definitely ask for more. Again, reconsider being tied down to a specific inflexible schedule for 3 hours a week. If he is qualifying as an English teacher he will not have a problem getting a job.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 3:26 am
amother wrote:
He was not looking for a job at all yet -he is very bust with school and with another job at this point, and was only considering this because it fell into his lap and seemed like a possible foot in the door for future oppurtunities. My question is if he can ask for more money or not per hour should he decided to take it - at this point we are not sure if its worth his time...

I don't know if they will give more money, but I can't see how it's worth his time. It's practically minimum wage. Will they expect him to do work at home too, like mark exams and prepare lessons? Well then, it's less than minimum wage.
I don't think it's really a foot in the door, unless he's desperate for teaching experience on his resume.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 3:30 am
Karnash wrote:
If it is per hour and not per month including vacation, sick leave etc., I would definitely ask for more. Again, reconsider being tied down to a specific inflexible schedule for 3 hours a week. If he is qualifying as an English teacher he will not have a problem getting a job.

I understood it's 3 times a week, not 3 hrs a week. So maybe 6 hours? 7,8 hours? I agree, it's still very limiting in terms of schedule.

catonmylap

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 7:43 am
my husband gave up on teaching since it was so hard to get enough hours and they were spread across different schools... we did find that the teaching jobs paid into kupot gemel/histalmut very well despite not paying well in general.

Karnash

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 12:08 pm
It can be difficult for a beginning teacher to get enough hours in one or two schools - depending on where you live and the demand in the area. But - after a few years a good English teacher is often offered more hours than they know what to do with.

BlueEyes125

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 5:47 am
Like previous posters have said-- first question is, is this a misrad hachinuch recognized school? It can be mukar rishmi (all new teachers go in under an hours/pay scale known as ofek chadash, if it's an elementary school-- which 4th grade is) OR mukar she'ayno rishmi (new teachers may be under ofek chadash or the old pay scale). Is this general ed or special ed?
If it's a misrad hachinuch school, there is a pay scale that your husband has no control over-- it includes a base salary which is based on your degree, years of experience (may include army service), continuing ed, and I think that's it. There are also various "tosafot" (may include special ed, being in 3 or more classes, tosafot called by years, and more). The final salary comes out to be more than just the base (s'char meshulav).

If it's a private school that has nothing to do with misrad hachinuch, then he can ask for t'naei misrad hachinuch. Pay-- also not great, but should be more than 30/hour.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 6:44 am
He can make more tutoring privately.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions