Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How Are You Able to Afford Succos?
Previous  1  2

Barbara

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 1:08 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I don't understand this whole new clothes thing, or guests inviting themselves without bringing food.

a: no new clothes. b: I've love for you to come, why don't you be in charge of xxx salad!

that's more than half your budget right there.

Its much easier now that DS is a teen, but remember that most women here have small children who grow quickly, AND we're heading into a new season. That sundress that worked all summer is too light for evening meals in the sukkah, and those pants that looked great at Pesach are now 2 inches too short and can barely be buttoned.

We are sukkah-less, and at the mercy of our friends for the chag. But no matter how many times I offer, no one is ever willing to say "yeah, bring a brisket." And I'd feel really strange arriving with one without telling them in advance (especially at the vegan home we'll be at one day).

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 2:49 pm
The frum lifestyle is very expensive. I think that a lot of ppl go into debt for the Yomim tovim.

We still go away to in-laws/ parents...

Lady A

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 3:27 pm
We got a grant from our local tzedakah organization and also our local shul. Even though dh and I work full-time, finances are tight. I really don't like it, but otherwise we would not have enough money for lulav/esrog set, dry cleaning dh's suit, buying poultry and fish.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics