Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary guest brings down atmosphere in my home
Previous  1  2  3  4

freidasima

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 6:35 am
It's very common in certain European circles to ask to remove shoes, also in almost all far east asian cultures that I know of. You don't track in dirt from the outside into the inside, it isn't healthy. Same way that you don't put your bag that you have put on the floor outside on a table that people eat on.

Have you ever thought what your bag absorbs (also bottom of shoes) being put on surfaces outside the house? Dog feces, filth, people's sputum etc. and let's not get graphic, right? And now, think of that going on your dining room table when you put your bag down, or your kitchen counters...and then think of those things being trransferred there and then to an apple that you put down after washing on that counter. Lovely isn't it?

Which is why we are totally makpid around here that nothing that was on the floor will ever go on the dining room table and why I never put my handbag down on the floor outside anywhere and either will hold it or put it on the back of a chair.

Shoes - think of what you are tracking in. Why do it? Take them off at the entrance and change into house shoes or slippers. Unless you have a full time maid who goes around mopping the floors from the debris five times a day, it's something to think about at least for family. Shoes off at the front door.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 6:40 am
Unless it is wet outside, I seriously do not see debris or black etc and I am not the type to clean the floors every day, very far from it Wink

imaima

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 7:31 am
ChossidMom wrote:
Well, don't get me started. I am of the humble opinion that people are more important than floors and that it would be prudent to have floors that wouldn't get ruined by getting wet. Sheesh. Besides, it's not always raining. I understand that those people who make you take off your shoes do this even on sunny days, n'est pas?
Sorry for the hijack.

In the culture where people take of their shoes, it is obvious for everyone and no one is offended. It is done not to track dirt inside and also, to wear more comfortable shoes. I would hate to wear my outside shoes for the whole day, in and out of the house.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 7:32 am
imaima wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
Well, don't get me started. I am of the humble opinion that people are more important than floors and that it would be prudent to have floors that wouldn't get ruined by getting wet. Sheesh. Besides, it's not always raining. I understand that those people who make you take off your shoes do this even on sunny days, n'est pas?
Sorry for the hijack.

In the culture where people take of their shoes, it is obvious for everyone and no one is offended. It is done not to track dirt inside and also, to wear more comfortable shoes. I would hate to wear my outside shoes for the whole day, in and out of the house.

Certainly where it is normal, it is normal.

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 10:20 am
ChossidMom wrote:
Green - Don't you know that the immigrants to the U.S. in the early 20th century were call "Greenhorns"?

I'm not good with history & my grandparents won't answer me ...
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics