Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
ATTN: Sheitel mavens and professionals Need Info

cbg

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 9:54 am
Warning: long post.

My first 2 sheitels that I bought was over 25 years ago.
They were Jacquelyn and my mom paid $200 each (a fortune back then)
One was straight and I wore it in a French braid (which was very stylish back then).
The other was curly and more elegant.
These 2 sheitels lasted me 8 years.
I hadn't have an excellent quality Sheitel since.
From then on I usually bought the 2 for 1 sheitels. Ranging from $150- $500 (depending how much I could afford at the time) for 2.
These usually lasted me 1 1/2 years before they started looking ratty, but I wore them any way.
The last 2 sheitels (the ones I'm wearing now) I splurged ( I badly needed sheitels) and bought 2 identical sheitels for $600 each. I had each styled differently.
I have them for 2 1/2 years. They are ok. One is still in good condition and can probably give me another year of life. The one I wear everyday has a bald spot (???), and the skin top is coming loose. I noticed this one day and still have no idea what happened to it. The Sheitel macher said its not worth fixing, and just covers it by parting it to the side.
(Note: I did not buy the Sheitel from her, I only use her for styling).
Also I dyed these sheitels twice, but the color doesn't stay for long.

Now, I am ready to graduate to a good quality Sheitel. I am stuck with too many options
Virgin/European/WithCuticle/Unprocessed/Remy, Density(80-180), silky/straight/wavy/curly. Weight (120- 200 grams), cap, hand knotting. I'm so confused

Also, what can I expect to pay for a top quality Sheitel. I want one that will last me at least 5 years (if that exists) and is versatile, meaning I can wear it straight or curly, elegant or simple. I want something easy to care for and I look great even if I didn't have time to get it fixed professionally.

FYI I love to do research, but this is probably the problem.

If any Ima mavens can give some advice that would be great.

I warned you, the post is long.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 10:14 am
You won't get everything from one wig. If you want to be able to wear the Shaitel straight or curly, your best bet is a virgin hair wig with a natural soft wave, this means it will hold a pencil set, but not for more then a few Weeks, it can also be done straight, but if you get it wet it will behave like natural hair, and possibly frizz and curl a bit.

I have a a few Claire wigs that are this type of hair, all h have lasted a minimum of 5 years. But these are high quality hand touted weeds, if they are not treated properly they will not last. They have to be washed a certain way, and will lose hair if they are not done correctly. They start under 1000, for ready made shorter pieces. Depending on length the price goes up.

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 10:14 am
You say your ready to get top quality. Do you realize that means spending thousands?

Try searching this forum for shevy, tori, clary. Those are considered top, and youll see that people have very mixed reviews. I think its best to ask around where you live for the name of a reputable sheitel maher and ask her for advice.

cbg

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 3:45 pm
OP here

I was thinking of spending around $2,000 for a long sheitel (a bit pass the shoulder is what I call long)
which is what I have been saving up for?

I wanted info. On types of hair, caps, density, weight, etc. what should I look for when it comes to these things?

What does remy mean?

Also, how can I find what type of hair my original Jacquelyns were. Those sheitels really lasted me.
The lady I bought them from is no longer in business. She took a Sheitel that literally went down to my waist (including the front) and then started cutting and working her magic. She permed the curly one, and even put in some highlights.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 3:49 pm
Why don't you shop around a little? Go to a few salons, feel different pieces and try them on. Ask questions. See for yourself what your preferences are.

cbg

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:44 pm
Mabelle great suggestion the only problem is that there not too many choices
to go to where I live so I ve been looking more on line.
In the past I just waited for a yaffa 2 for 1 sale and just picked from the six they offered.
Had it shipped to me, but I want something more special.

Any one know something about caps, density, weight, etc?

cbg

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:48 pm
Code:
[color=darkred][size=18]quality hand tou[/color]ted weeds[/size]
[quote]

What does this mean?

sima

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:50 pm
maybe take a look at Milano website, you can even order online from them if you are not near any location.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:53 pm
cbg wrote:
Mabelle great suggestion the only problem is that there not too many choices
to go to where I live so I ve been looking more on line.
In the past I just waited for a yaffa 2 for 1 sale and just picked from the six they offered.
Had it shipped to me, but I want something more special.

Any one know something about caps, density, weight, etc?

You don't need to visit ten salons to get an idea Smile You can even just go to one, and work with what they have. You will get a much better idea what each factors entails if you actually experience it... Versus just reading about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels