Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Shaitel with nits

amother

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 7:50 am
I just bought a shaitel, that I ofund to have nits. I was told it is totaly dead the nits, but to be 100 percent sure put it in the freezer. It creeps me out to wear it, event hough supposingly theya re dead. Is there anything to be worried about if my shaitel has nits after it had been processed.......... the lady who sold it to me said it is impossible to be alive through all thos eprocessess. Has anyone ever experienced this?? what would u do??

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 7:57 am
If it’s pure human, it most likely has nits. However after about 36 hours, they cannot be alive. They feed off the blood vessels in the scalp. So if the hair is no longer on the head of the person that it grew on (yuck) then it is dead.

You should find out of there’s someone locally who cleans out nits for people. They usually charge about $75 per hour and if it really grosses you out, consider dropping it off and picking it up. Good Luck!

supermom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 10:28 am
May I ask why did you buy it in the first place?

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 10:30 am
You can’t see it just by buying it. You discover it in after you wear it once or twice, by accident and then SHOCK / GROSS!

Every wig has some, so don’t get nit-picky with amother!

baseballmom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 10:47 am
withhumor wrote:
You can’t see it just by buying it. You discover it in after you wear it once or twice, by accident and then SHOCK / GROSS!

Every wig has some, so don’t get nit-picky with amother!

What do youmean every wig has one? I have never seen this on any of my sheitals?

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 10:50 am
Only those that are made from pure hair that is from certain countries. What happens is, the hair sits in the store room with hairs from all over, and it’s bound to happen. I’ve found a few nits in some wigs in the past, just take it out!

baseballmom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 10:55 am
dare I ask how to check if mine has nits?

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 11:01 am
Do you know what nits look like? My daughter has golden blond hair and every now and then, I catch a glint of sunlight and my heart lurches, I have such a strong phobia of nits, I go into a panic. Basically, if I have my facts right – a mother louse will lay up to 80 eggs (nits) per day. In only 18 hours they hatch and each one can lay up to 80 eggs themselves, which proves why you should remove it the second you see it.

HOWEVER in a wig, they are dead since they are no longer biting your scalp to feed off it (hence the terrible itching, after a bite). So don’t panic, and take your time. You should be able to see these teeny tiny lumps along the hairs, usually towards the top of the hairs.

How to spot it – see this link http://www.kidshealth.org/pare......html

P.S. – I have become quite efficient in calming children to clean them out, and I’m considering doing it for money on the side. Any takers? GROSS!

chavamom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 11:35 am
withhumor wrote:
Basically, if I have my facts right – a mother louse will lay up to 80 eggs (nits) per day.

I thought I remembered that it was 3 - 5, but I looked it up and this is what I found
Quote:
An adult female can lay 6 eggs per day on an average.
. No where near 80. But yes, you want to get rid of it before you have a hatchery going on in there.

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 12:04 pm
I thought nits were the eggs. Lice are when they are hatched. I think the eggs stay in the hair even after the lice have gone.

chavamom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 12:17 pm
BTW - my 'hatchery' quote was about someone with nits on their head, NOT on a sheitel. On a sheitel, they are long dead.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
I just bought a shaitel, that I ofund to have nits. I was told it is totaly dead the nits, but to be 100 percent sure put it in the freezer. It creeps me out to wear it, event hough supposingly theya re dead. Is there anything to be worried about if my shaitel has nits after it had been processed.......... the lady who sold it to me said it is impossible to be alive through all thos eprocessess. Has anyone ever experienced this?? what would u do??

I think the lady who sold it to you should clean it for you.

If she doesn't think so, she should know that her reputation for customer service will plummet. If anybody asks you about her, according to the laws of shemiras ha'lashon you are allowed to relate your experience.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 3:01 pm
Yikes are they alive?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 3:12 pm
I would also want a wash and set, unless you think her salon is infested . . .

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 4:05 pm
Why couldn't you simply return it.
Also the nits is more to about 8 per day not 80 and if each of those mature in couple of days then each 8 could have 8 so if my math is correct 8x8 = 64 so in other words they spread quite quickly indeed just not as quickly as withhumor thought. And they are definately not multiplying in sheitel.

faigie

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 5:29 pm
bah in 26 years ive never found a shaitel of mine to have nits
bring it back and have her clean her buggy product!

doublemother

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 5:34 pm
my sister just had this with her shaitel. she had to sit down and pull them all out by hand without using a comb or pulling the hair out . good luck and ask the women who sold you the wig what you should about it or witch product you should use.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 6:07 pm
How can I wash it ?and how can I dry it?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 6:54 pm
Quote:
I think the lady who sold it to you should clean it for you.

Yes, once when I was by the shaitel macher, her helper was busy picking nits out of a very expensive shaitel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels