Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Honey vs. Corn Syrup

myself

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 11:07 am
Is Honey a 'healthier' option or are they technically the same?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 5:45 pm
Honey is very healthy (though high in calories and usually not safe for diabetics).

Corn syrup is the worst garbage out there.

They are not interchangeable in all recipes though.

Happy 2B

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Honey is very healthy (though high in calories and usually not safe for diabetics).

Corn syrup is the worst garbage out there.

They are not interchangeable in all recipes though.

I'm not the op but I was wondering about honey.

Honey is healthy just not dietetic so if not on a diet per se it's one of the better things to sweeten cake with?

Are there other sweetners you recommend in addition or instead?

Thanx!

Last edited by Happy 2B on Tue, Jan 07 2014, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 8:05 pm
Happy 2B wrote:
I'm not the op but I was wondering about honey.

Honey is healthy just not dietetic so if not on a diet per se it's one of the better things to sweeten cake with?
Yes and no Smile
I hear that when heated, honey loses some of its properties and breaks down to regular sugar. So obviously, honey that it not heated is better. But even so, cake sweetened with honey is better than cake sweetened with cane sugar.

In terms of taste, at least when starting off, always better to find a tried recipe than experiment because honey has a distinct taste and the fact that it's liquid changes things in the cake.

Happy 2B

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 8:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yes and no Smile
I hear that when heated, honey loses some of its properties and breaks down to regular sugar. So obviously, honey that it not heated is better. But even so, cake sweetened with honey is better than cake sweetened with cane sugar.

In terms of taste, at least when starting off, always better to find a tried recipe than experiment because honey has a distinct taste and the fact that it's liquid changes things in the cake.

Yes I noticed this. I made butternut squash muffins and used honey instead of sugar they came out delicious but taste like honey cake Smile Hubby didn't mind though!

imeinu

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 8:58 pm
I don't know all the benefits, but I started using agave - which is a syrup from the agave plant. It has a lower glycymic index so it is healthier for diabetics and probably for the rest of us as well. it is also sweeter than sugar so you can use 25% less. I put it in my daily coffee, but hope to start experimenting with it in baked goods soon.
Anyone with experience in this?

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 9:16 pm
I like Agave syrup too. It seems to bake fine.

Happy 2B

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 9:16 pm
imeinu wrote:
I don't know all the benefits, but I started using agave - which is a syrup from the agave plant. It has a lower glycymic index so it is healthier for diabetics and probably for the rest of us as well. it is also sweeter than sugar so you can use 25% less. I put it in my daily coffee, but hope to start experimenting with it in baked goods soon.
Anyone with experience in this?

I've used it and found it's less strong a taste than honey so doesn't give a distinct flavor which is good. I knew it was healthy but don't know much about it.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 10:32 pm
Agave is certainly as fattening as any other sweetener. However, it's virtue is that it doesn't cause an insulin spike, or sugar rush, in the blood. Scads of people are addicted to that insulin rush. An insulin spike is normal and not the end of the world, but it isn't the greatest thing to have all the time.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 10:48 pm
Agave is not healthy for other reasons, and has potentially serious side affects.

Honey is excellent.

Corn syrup is pure cr@p.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics