Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you notice themed MM?

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 11:12 pm
We take ours apart pretty quickly, and kids will grab for anything.

I like to do a theme, but tie it together with a poem that includes a list of the items enclosed. That way, hopefully, people can take it apart, and still enjoy the humor.

What do you do on the receiving end? On yhe giving end?

Petra

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 11:30 pm
I notice them briefly and think "wow, they put a lot of thought into this! They must be really organized". And a few seconds later the kids try to dismantle it looking for the good stuff while I am trying to "save" it a little longer.

Milky

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 11:46 pm
Themes are usually noticed, especially if the theme is Chocolate. Smile

If it's too involved, some might go over people's heads. Also, not everyone shares the same humor.

Overall, I think people appreciate it IF there's something GOOD inside.

(I'll never forget the Home Depot themed MM that had nothing edible inside. There were uncooked spiral noodle "screws" and the like. Not too popular in this household, but still noticed nonetheless.)

bigsis144

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 1:38 am
I definitely notice themes, but whether I appreciate them or not depends on what's inside. Very Happy

I would much rather get yummy food with no theme than the not-quite-food items that are ungracefully shoved into themed MM.

Also, most themes are REALLY NOT THAT CLEVER. Clumsy rhymes and forced puns don't particularly add to my enjoyment of your theme. A simple "Happy Purim from the Greenbergs" is all I need.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 1:57 am
I definitely notice them, especially if there is I find it particularly cute.

I personally send the same basic homemade chocolate cake every year but decorate/ package it differently according to a different Purim related theme each year. I write a poem explaining the connection. I always get great feedback -- many people have told me they look forward every year to reading my new poem, and I have even had people call me after Purim to tell me they liked it. I think people appreciate that my "theme" is not in finding strange candies to stick in but coming up with a concept. (For example I have done Kabblas Hatorah by making my cakes into mini Har-Sinai's and making Torah's out of winkies for the second item, "layehudim haysa Orah" with a white frosting on top of the cake and black and white chocolate for the second item, putting a face on the cake with a green tinted frosting and doing an Ester/ Hadassah poem, etc.)

amother so as not to "out" my screen name to anyone who has gotten MM from me!

imasoftov

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 8:48 am
I have never come across a theme except on this site. Or I'm really oblivious, which is probably what I would pretend to be if themes caught on among my friends.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 8:54 am
imasoftov wrote:
I have never come across a theme except on this site. Or I'm really oblivious, which is probably what I would pretend to be if themes caught on among my friends.
Same here, except one couple who gave a few foods with the same letter as the first letter of their last name, but other than that, I also have never seen it other than on threads here.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:02 am
We do get a few themed. Some are just matching the family costume which is cute but get taken apart right away.
The ones that are really gorgeous and time spent I hate opening because they look almost fake.

willow

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 10:45 am
I love getting themes and appreciate the creativity. That being said real food trumps all junk.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:58 am
I always like receiving themed MM. They're fun!

As for me, I do the same pretty mini bundt cake every year but I buy boxes that coordinate with the kids' costumes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics