Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do I know if she's getting her period
Previous  1  2  3

Pineapple

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 1:37 pm
didn't read all the responses

make sure she knows she can come to you with any questions or any time she needs help

amother

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 6:18 pm
I still vividly recall the girl who fainted in school aged 11, and woke up to tell us she was dying, as she was bleeding from inside. She had never been told about periods, and was forever after mortified and known as the girl who didn't know Crying

amother as I want to protect her anonymity.

mommymaven

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 6:19 pm
I have B"H 6 girls, 2 yet to get their period, and you need to relax and take a positive attitude, you can make this a positive or negative/shameful/scary thing for her, it's up to you. Start the talk now. Explain it in the context of, it's so exciting, your body is changing so that you will IY"H be able to be a mother. This is normal, happens to every woman, sometimes uncomfortable, but a sign that you are growing up, etc . Try to see it as a time of special woman bonding, not a big busha, and she will relax more with it too. Get her supplies, keep up with her bra changes and needs, and be quietly available for all her questions.

Another talk I have at a similar time is about how it's natural to start to feel attracted to boys, this is good and normal and how H' made us, in the right time, you will marry, IY"H , but the Torah way is to wait until you are ready and will forma life together, but she needs to know the feelings are not bad, just we have a derech and direction to express them in kedusha, you don't need to go into details.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 10:15 am
malky800 wrote:
What symptoms would a girl have before getting her first period?

Is it going to sprout on her all of a sudden? Will I have warning.

My daughter is only 9 and very developed already. My husbands sisters who have her build had their period around 10.

I'm just worried she'll get it before the nurse in school talks to the class.
On the other hand I feel funny telling her the facts of her body when she is still so immature. I want to wait as long as I could without missing it and scaring the wits out of her.

we're no longer living in the times of hush & denial ... girls need to know what a period is regardless of when they get it ... normal is anywhere between 8 & 17 - therefore with a developing body - she has the right to know & you as the mother should not befall this task onto the school nurse - her classmates or anybody else ...

immaturity has nothing to do with it ... our bodies tell us otherwise ... or else we'd all reach our menarche at 15 - wouldn't that be convenient

keep in mind as well - that even when one does know about a period - we don't always know what it entails if nobody has given details or a caring guide ... I thought the use of terming it 'period' meant it was a drop of blood - similar to that at the end of a sentence ... I had no idea it was a flow - go know - having many older sisters and a mother who said nada ... not to mention getting it early - you could still freak out & be too shy or embarrassed to ask anyone for help other than the good ole' trustee roll of toilet paper

so my mother still never told me & 4 kids later - believe me I was telling my kids as early as 7 or 8

[should I have it out with my mama ~ I'd like to hear her reaction] Twisted Evil
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children