Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
5T shuls

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 1:08 pm
moving to cedarhurst. want to find out a bit about some of the shuls before we get there. obviously we will have a trial period of shtiebel hopping, but maybe there are minyanim or shuls that I haven't heard of yet and wouldn't know to go to.
we would prefer something on the smaller side, if there is such a thing.
we are moving from a much more low key/quiet neighborhood, so it will be a big change. I'm happy to try something new, but I dont think that young israel will be the first place we will WANT to try.
we are frum, somewhere between modern and yeshivish. my husband wears a hat but we get along with all crowds. would love to hear about places with a shabbos morning program for my 2 year old, and maybe even smaller 'house' minyans for my husband for friday night / shabbos day.

oh, and any other recommendations of how to NOT awkwardly meet new friends in the area would be great too. I'm home for the summer (I'm a teacher), so suggestions of shiurim etc. would be great!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 12:22 pm
bump

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 1:00 pm
I don't know about shuls, but the best place to make friends over the summer is at Cedarhurst Park.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 3:30 pm
well that is VERY close to where we are moving to. are people friendly enough to recognize that I'm new, and they might approach me? or do I literally have to go up to random people to introduce myself?
I'm coming from a much smaller community where we had a welcome committee. they would ask people in the community to welcome the new family by inviting to meals, calling them up to say hello, etc. anything like that in the 5T?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
well that is VERY close to where we are moving to. are people friendly enough to recognize that I'm new, and they might approach me? or do I literally have to go up to random people to introduce myself?
I'm coming from a much smaller community where we had a welcome committee. they would ask people in the community to welcome the new family by inviting to meals, calling them up to say hello, etc. anything like that in the 5T?

I've lived here for almost 10 years (from out of town) - it's not that way at all, at least from my experience.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:

The 5 Towns are too large for a community welcome committee, but many of the shuls do something similar and some of the schools have a new parents event as well.

If you go to a small shul then people will likely approach you there. In the park, you would most likely have to do the approaching. Having a kid helps a lot to break the ice.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 7:35 pm
What age group are you? If you daven in the red shul ,shteibel ,freidman or Kay there's welcoming committees on each. Summer not an easy time though tons of people are away

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 10:39 pm
Could u say be actual names of the smaller shuls mentioned above?
We are 30s couple with a toddler

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 11:22 pm
Red shul - kehilas Bais yehuda tzvi
Rabbi friedman-kehilas Bais yisroel
Kay- kehilas Ahavas yisroel
Rabbi spiegel- the shteibel

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 11:25 pm
Are you moving close to the young Israel I see you mentioned that above? That area is not the same area of the shuls I mentioned above. It's more cedarhurst close to lawrence. Also I believe that none of the shuls I mentioned above have a program in shul for a 2 year old. Since that's quite young I am not sure you will find such a thing in existence

amother

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 12:11 am
Yes close to young Israel. I believe I read the aguda has a 2 yr old program

How far is normal to walk to shul In the suburbs? We r used to nyc, where our shul is just 2 city blocks away!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating