Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Shofar blowing during shmone esrei

yo'ma

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 4:11 am
This is kind of a spinoff of my thread with musaf. If you daven nusach sefard, does your shul blow the shofar during musaf shmone esrei? I don't know what other davening do, but I know nusach ashkenaz doesn't.

The shul I went last year, they do, but not this year. When I was davening, I waited a bit to see if they would. My sil told me in her shul before she got married, she davens ashkenaz now, didn't either.

Smile1234

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 4:20 am
AFAIK in nusach ashkenaz they do not blow during shmoneh esrei, but nusach sfard does.

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 4:33 am
I grew up in an ashkenaz shul that had this sefardi minhag. It was not weird for me because that's what I grew up with. I missed it for a very long time afterwards until I got used to it. I imagine it's frustrating for moms who want to catch a whole set of tekiyos at the end of shul, because there's only ten, so the only full block is the first set.

I liked the tekiyos during silent. They helped if I started drifting in he middle of the longness. If I was waiting, I used the time to stop myself to think about what I had said, and maybe read over the English. If not, it sort of woke me up and boosted my kavanah.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 4:59 am
Since this is a spinoff I'm just posting what I posted there

we also daven Nussach sfard now (in America davened Nussach Ashkenaz) and I hate the shofar blowing in the middle of Shmoneh Esreh. You're either standing there waiting for them to catch up to you or rushing to get to the next blowing. It takes away your control of your silent tefilla

LEsheva

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 5:03 am
My Shul davens nusach Ashkanaz but still has this minhag and I love it! It only adds to my shemona esrei kavanah. You don't need to try to time yourself to match the chazzan, you go at your own pace and then pause when the shofar blasts starts. It helps you refocus and reenergize for the long shemonah esrei. And honestly, I also find it hard to maintain kavanah when all 40 blasts are done together after shemona esrai

grace413

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 5:38 am
Really difficult for old ladies like me to stand up that long. Otherwise it's fine.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 6:08 am
My Shul blows Shofar during Shmoneh Esrai.

Is it an Aveirah if I go through the whole Shmoneh Esrai, and I dont stop to wait for the Tekiyos, and I stand at my place, until all the Tekiyos are completed, if Im finished with Shmoneh Esrai before the Shul is?

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
My Shul blows Shofar during Shmoneh Esrai.

Is it an Aveirah if I go through the whole Shmoneh Esrai, and I dont stop to wait for the Tekiyos, and I stand at my place, until all the Tekiyos are completed, if Im finished with Shmoneh Esrai before the Shul is?

No problem. Especially if it's your shul's minhag and not yours. Either way, many people I know daven through, stop wherever they are for the tekios, sit down , and then listen to the rest as they come.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur