Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Safety during the Solar Eclipse
Previous  1  2

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 4:59 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:
I don't live in NY or any place that hits a total eclipse. We are getting a partial but it looks to be less than half.

How dark will it get?

Like a storm coming up or a cloudy sky.
It will be clearly daylight, but more like a cloudy day.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:30 am
amother Lilac wrote:
The eclipse is only a few minutes long. If you are really concerned, then maybe pick your children up early that day and keep them inside for the duration, but there's no need for them to miss a whole day of school because of it. It's definitely worth an email or phone call to the school to ask how they plan to deal with it before you make any decisions.

Personally, I've already bought eclipse glasses for my family because I think it's a really cool experience for everyone. We're not chasing totality like some people I know who are traveling to be in the eclipse path, but it should be interesting to watch even from the NYC area. I missed the last eclipse in NY because I was really sick at the time, so I'm looking forward to this one.

It last a couple hours in the afternoon. I will probably pick the kids up after lunch unless the school announces safety measures.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:14 am
The part where the sky will visibly darken is only a few minutes. It will not last hours. I understand wanting to keep kids inside if they can't keep the glasses on, but otherwise this really is much ado about nothing.

jeg

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 10:58 am
ad removed. If you want to sell for profit, please contact Yael for permission -mod

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi, does anyone know what the safety guidelines are for the solar eclipse when you are not in the path of totality?

basically, will people have the ability to look at the sun not realizing they are hurting their eyes.

I know better than to look but my young children may not know and if I cant guarantee safety, I will keep them home from school.

Same as any other time as looking at the sun! Being in the path of totality only helps at the split moment when there is total eclipse. All other times need to take proper precautions. I think wearing polarized sun glasses; seeing the reflection on a paper/card through a pin hole camera etc.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:23 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Same as any other time as looking at the sun! Being in the path of totality only helps at the split moment when there is total eclipse. All other times need to take proper precautions. I think wearing polarized sun glasses; seeing the reflection on a paper/card through a pin hole camera etc.

Right. I think the difference is someone can damage their eyes without realizing it because its easier to look at the sun. Usually its impossible.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:46 pm
I think the ones frm American paper optics are supposed to be good.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:47 pm
These are safe and reliable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N17N0MO/

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:42 pm
I found these glasses for cheap and I trust B&H doesn't have knockoffs.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c......html
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics