Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Who does one turn to?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 2:39 pm
I think OP mentioned somewhere that DH is a good typist. There are many work from home jobs available in transcription. Would he go for that? It's freelance and work your own hours. It's at home, not dealing with customers, so he might find that less embarrassing. Companies might have positions open up in operations, and if he has that type of experience, he could move up the ladder.
It's not so high paying, but if he's not having to commute and has a flexible schedule to help out with the kids/housework when you are out of the house that's a plus. I know of a transcription company in the US owned by a frum Jew that allows for on the job training. You could pm me for more details. If he already types well, knows how to use Word, and do basic Internet searches, he already has the basic skills. If $1,000 a month would help, at least short term, it might be worth considering.

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 10:18 pm
For those that said Abt contacting temp agencies... He never did that. In the past it was word of mouth, friends relatives knew he was looking for a job and happened to have needed to hire for things they were working with.
None of the past temp jobs have current positions.

As for the dreamland that someone can step in and help... Sometimes when u have nowhere to turn or hitting brickwalls dreaming is the survival tactic and G-d has many messengers.
But the point of the dream is that he IS NOT the only one who needs something like this and it would be beneficial if every single kehilla would have a set up of ppl that just as if someone in kehilla had a sick kid ppl go out of way to help, so to when someone has a sick Parnassah situation ppl in kehilla can go out of way to help by stepping in and getting the psn out of rut and starting off!

He isn't looking for a high high paying job. I repeat. It seems that ppl think he wants to get a job as CEO... He just has anxiety issues with certain types of work and he needs to find something where not only will he function but he will feel like a mentch about himself and be able to bring in a decent (not $10 per hour) living.

I wish I knew how to say it all in 5/sentences yet somehow my posts are like 3 pages long.

SRS

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 6:52 am
So will he be trying the temp agency route?
I really can't say enough good about going in that direction, but to be on the call list, he will want to accept jobs even if some of them only pay $10/hr.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 7:08 am
$10/hour is a pretty good wage in Israel. I don't understand why bringing in 0 is better than $10.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 7:17 am
10$ /hr full time is like 20k a year. sometimes the only way to get past 10$ is to start at it. my dh started there. book keeping for 10$/hour. Now he's at 22$/hr with a steady rise in the future.

I'm sorry op. No ones gonna come rescue him besides himself. I am so impressed with your patience and concern for him. Maybe get on bc till things sort out some more?

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 7:28 am
I do understand the spiraling depression of job seekers as it is hard to put oneself on the line continually.

I think your husband might benefit from a group to learn basic job search skills. It seems from what you are saying that he is somewhat passive about the search. It is not enough to wait for somebody who knows him to think of him. He has to be constantly working a network.

In addition as others have said, he should be signed up with every temp agency in the city and willing to accept any reasonable job because some money is better than nothing and you never know what contacts you will find when you are actually in the workforce.

There are support groups that teach job training skills and also enable the participants to support each other. IMHO I think based on what you have written that he might find it helpful.

I don't think anyone is trying to be cruel. However objectively, your husband needs to start taking even the smallest steps towards getting a job and bringing in money. I think that he has it a little backwards because not working is more of a cause for his depression and anxiety and just getting into the workforce and seeing that he can be productive will help boost him.

As others have posted, since he has good office skills, he should register with temp agencies.

Of course one should dream but people also have to take reasonable steps to help themselves. There are job programs that offer help in terms of teaching people how to job search effectively but a person needs to also take personal responsibility and do the hard work of job searching and networking. It is very very hard and unfortunately no fairy godfather is going to magically appear and make his problems disappear.

What is realistic is if he puts himself out there and does the kind of job search that is necessary and that many people have to do, he will ultimately get a job that he feels more or less comfortable with.

SRS

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 2:42 pm
A note about beginning as a freelancer (extending the definition to substitute teaching, temp work, projects as a contractor), you must say "yes, when should I be there?" Remember that the person who is trying to book a person to do filing, work the phone, do data entry, or whatever wants to use his or her time as effectively as possible and will stop calling if he thinks the answer will be no.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics