Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is this a bad word, your opinion please
Previous  1  2

losingweight

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 3:43 pm
I don't find shoot offensive at all. WT* is worse.

hotmom

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 3:48 pm
I see what your dd means. It's not a bad word at all but has become associated with using the bad word in a kosher/nice way. It's how you look at it and what you make of it. But definitely not a bad word.

Orchid

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 10:03 pm
Fox wrote:
Am I the only one who detects a whiff of passive-aggressiveness when someone is a little too bothered by borderline "bad" words?

Yeah, I get it. Some things just sound worse than others, and a lot of things have an etymology associated with other religions. But that's true for all kinds of words we use on a daily basis -- such as "a capella" or "noon" -- not just exclamations of anger or frustration.

Let's just say I'm not so impressed by the piety of people who track down the origins of every mild exclamation yet still use CallingPost to announce that their DD is engaged. Wink

Wait! Now I'm curious. What does the use of CallingPost signify??

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 11:17 pm
don't screw around with shrek ... just because he's green

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 11:38 pm
Fox wrote:
Am I the only one who detects a whiff of passive-aggressiveness when someone is a little too bothered by borderline "bad" words?

Yeah, I get it. Some things just sound worse than others, and a lot of things have an etymology associated with other religions. But that's true for all kinds of words we use on a daily basis -- such as "a capella" or "noon" -- not just exclamations of anger or frustration.

Let's just say I'm not so impressed by the piety of people who track down the origins of every mild exclamation yet still use CallingPost to announce that their DD is engaged. Wink

um, yeah. bench = benedicte

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 1:02 am
I'm curious what happens for DD when she hears ''shoot''. Does she get scared? Does she worry about ______? What is the meaning of all of this to her?

chani8

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 1:13 am
Here in Israel, the kids are going around saying, "Sheet." Now that is funny. Of course here we dont want them saying, 'shoot'. Apparently they cannot correctly pronounce the poop word. I dont allow the 'sheet' word, obviously, because it's directly meant to be poop. But 'shoot' is totally acceptable.

I do understand your DD though. I once went to a shmiras haloshen kennis, after years of learning two halachos a day and being meticulous in my speech....only to be shocked when the speaker, a rav, used the word 'stupid' several times. I couldn't believe it. Clearly he hadn't been learning his two-a-day.

While 'stupid' is not acceptable, I do think 'shoot' is fine. It would be a 'higher level' for you to learn to not say any unnecessary exclamation. Although I believe 'oy' is rabbinically approved.

heidi

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 2:09 am
chani8 wrote:
Here in Israel, the kids are going around saying, "Sheet." Now that is funny. Of course here we dont want them saying, 'shoot'. Apparently they cannot correctly pronounce the poop word. I dont allow the 'sheet' word, obviously, because it's directly meant to be poop. But 'shoot' is totally acceptable.

I do understand your DD though. I once went to a shmiras haloshen kennis, after years of learning two halachos a day and being meticulous in my speech....only to be shocked when the speaker, a rav, used the word 'stupid' several times. I couldn't believe it. Clearly he hadn't been learning his two-a-day.

While 'stupid' is not acceptable, I do think 'shoot' is fine. It would be a 'higher level' for you to learn to not say any unnecessary exclamation. Although I believe 'oy' is rabbinically approved.

Here in Israel, the word for a very bad mistake is a "f**k". I was at a meeting of very high level government workers and one of the big wigs says, "there was a f**k". I literally almost fell off my chair. I consciously had to close my mouth after it gaped open in shock.
But that's the point. Words are not intrinsically good or bad. It's the context and the subcontent associated with them.
My cousin's children don't use the word "hate"-- as in I hate this food or this school or whatever cause in their home it's a bad word.
When I'm in their home I respect their wishes. Or when they are visiting me. Otherwise, I can hate as much as I want.
So it doesn't really matter if shoot is a bad word or not. It's a word that is not acceptable to your daughter.
I sincerely hope she was asking you not to use it in front of her children, and not just giving you mussar. If she was just being holier than thou she has a lot more to work on than the word shoot.

chani8

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 3:51 am
My mouth is hanging open now, Heidi. Really, f**k. How coarse.

I still cringe when people shout, Oh My God!!

I've had to teach my very Israeli but very English speaking adult children which words are 'bad words' (and not just slang).

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 7:05 am
Reminds me of this thread: http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ative

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 8:00 am
Op here
The thing is I'm usually the one that is sensitive to not nice speech.
Stupid
Shut up
And the one that erks me the most when young people use
That s**ks.
In my generation that was really bad like the f word.

I use shoot like oy vay.

The conversation came about because, we think, my MIL, thinks I'm saying the "S" word, for the past 30 yrs. She does not speak English.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 9:39 am
From what I know the word shoots comes from the yiddish word shood which means a pity. I think it just became the English word for that.
Like when something doesn't work out we say "Oy, shoots"

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:37 am
Shucks,
shoot,
freaking

All replacements. So whilst not really foul language, it kinda hints at it.

That said I would rather remember to use those words than the ones I most often replace them with :-/

farm

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:58 am
(Am I now totally outing myself to anyone who's been to my house?)
Our go to word to express strong feelings is, "argh!" I even heard the 2 year old say it when he couldn't get his socks on!

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 1:13 pm
h*ck no!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics