Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Speech therapist not honest?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 9:58 am
ok, I have a speech therapist for my ds, (he's 2 and half) and lately when it comes for me to sign the paper when she finishes with the session, she tells me that she left her paper "at home". and then she does this for 2 sessions, and then the third time (usually at the end of the month) she'll ask me to sign the paper and she put four sessions for me to sign.

so basically she's adding a session so she can claim more money, am I supposed to do anything? I don't feel comfortable saying anything to her, and she's already done this twice.

btw, she's a schvartze, so its not about massering a yid.

any suggestions, I guess I feel like I've been fooled or cheated

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:09 am
can you speak to a supervisor? it's a tough call beause I'm sure you want good care.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:13 am
I probably could, but there is a shortage of speech therapists so I'm not sure how they are going to react,

it doesn't really affect me so much....its just that now I feel like I can't really trust her

I stay with her of course for all the sessions...I just have that feeling

rosehill

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:32 am
What she is doing is not honest and is illegal. Sha can lose her license, and maybe could even be arrested.
If this happens again, if I were you, I would say "This is for Monday, Wednesday, and when was the other time you came?" She will either make something up, or pretend she made a mistake. But she will know you are onto her, and she probably won't do it again.
Remeber, if you have problems with her later on, you will be on shaky ground, because your signature verifies that you agree she was there.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:42 am
Just tell her you would feel more comfortable if she would bring the paper each time. Otherwise refuse to sign. I have done this on more then one occasion.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:54 am
amother wrote:

btw, she's a schvartze, so its not about massering a yid.

I'm sorry, I just have to say that I find this language absolutely disgusting! You couldn't right that she is not Jewish...Not to mention that it would be even worse if she was Jewish because than you would be accessorizing a chilul Hashem.

As far as what you should do, I think that the last poster who said to tell her you won't sign for more than one session at a time is appropriate or when she shows you four sessions just say, you know I think it was only four... You need to be honest.

Cinderella

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:57 am
I agree with Rosehill. Tell her that you only remember three sessions this month, and ask where does she get the fourth one from. <in>. If she says its a mistake, or whatever then fine. If she makes something up, REFUSE to sign it, thats all, and tell her that you need to speak with the supervisor to clarify the situation.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 11:02 am
op here
thanx everyone for the advice
next time I will say something if she gives me all these signatures to sign,
and hopefully she may get scared and not ask me again

previous amother,
why is it "disgusting" to say that she is a scvartze instead of not jewish? I was stating that detail to prove that she's not a yid that would result in massering and should consult a Rav.
why get so defensive?!!?!?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 11:14 am
Schvartze is an extremely deragatory term. It may not have been when it was originally used in Yiddish, but it certainly is in this day and age. I just find the racism in certain parts of the frum community to be a bit repulsive...

Besides from that, someone being black does not exclude them from being frum as I have actually met numerous gerim from other races and it is becoming more and more common...

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 11:35 am
ok, I don't think the term Schvartze is a derogatory term, its a fact of life. if she was jewish, I obviously would have said she is jewish....

I didn't add any other terms to the word schvartze to make it sound "disgusting"

maybe you want to to start a poll to see other people's thoughts about encontering a "schvatze" and saying that outright???

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 12:33 pm
My DS also has speech therapist - frum lady. She also forgets her papers many times, and then after I give her a few at a time.
But she knows that I'm onest with her, and so is she with me. In fact, just this week, I reminded her that I didn't sign for her last week, and she was thankful. When she thought I owed her, and I thought not, I'd tell her "I don't mind signing, but I think I already signed for that session" She'd say, she'll see by the end of the month when she sees how many signatures she has, compared to how many she should have. I know she comes once a week. she can't get more signatures than the amount allotted, or they won't pay anyways. So she can only have 4 per month.
How often is she supposed to come to you? If she is supposed to come 4x a month, and only comes 3, then your DS is being cheated! If she's getting an extra signature, shouldn't the authorities be catching on???
I would definitely confront her next time in a nice way, but that she understands that you're ontop of her.
Good Luck!

gryp

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 12:37 pm
amother, I've seen therapists do that many many times. and yes, you should confront her about it.

(On this board people aren't used to hearing the word black used neutrally, it is assumed tgo be automatically derogatory. I use it the same way you do though, but we're outnumbered, what can I say. Smile )

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 12:48 pm
op here,
well the speech therapist comes once a week and she started in april
this "cheating" thing started in June,
last week she called to cancel cuz she was sick, and the week before that she "forgot" her papers. so this time she asked me to sign for this session and the two previous ones, (not the one she skipped) but since she skipped a week, so now she'll claim for 4 sessions,
not sure how she'll do it...
but I won't let her do this to me again, I will not sign anything past 1 week.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 12:55 pm
yes indeed the first thing I noticed was the derrogatory description ...

aside from that you are helping her lie by signing for sessions that she is not giving you ...

keep your own sign in sheet for her to sign each time she comes ... and compare with hers for proof ...

mumsy23

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 1:52 pm
You could have just said she was a non-Jew, why is it relevant that she is black?

redhot

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 2:04 pm
it is possible that the therapist is seeing your child for longer sessoins to make up for the mandated amount of sessions. I.e. 2 sessoins of 45 minutes instead of 3 for 30 minutes. That is a common practice but typically the parents are consulted first....

Otherwise you should ask her about it...She will get uncomfortable and not do it again in my opinon.

Also- where do u live that there is sucha shortage of therapists?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:43 pm
aren't u alloted a specific # of sessions until services need to be reevaluated? by letting the therapist get away with this, you're cheating your child out of what they are entitled to.

mumoo

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 10:19 am
greenfire wrote:

keep your own sign in sheet for her to sign each time she comes ... and compare with hers for proof ...

I was going to say that- and in addition, when she forgets hers, say 'that's ok, I'll keep one' and have her sign that one. if the official sheet shows up, they can be compared

amother

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 10:50 am
how about the otherway around the speech therapist shows up once a week, and your child is not available. It is not fair to the therapist, because this her parnessah. I know a therapist, that asks the mothers to sign if the cancel more the 2 sessions with her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics