Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Wwyd your boss owes you $7k?
Previous  1  2

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 1:31 am
amother wrote:
I would demand my money. He manages to pay literally everyone but you? Then he can make it work for you to.
Off topic, but isn't this site for married women only?

or divorced or widowed.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 3:07 am
amother wrote:
or divorced or widowed.

And occasional exceptions with special permission from Yael.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 6:08 am
amother wrote:
He knows he owes it to me. He is a crook.
Looking for another job isn't that easy. I keep looking

So you're working for nothing because it's hard to find a job. You realize as you let the balance grow, he's less likely to be able to come up with so much money and you're liable to get nothing.

Stay home and put your full time and effort into reading newspapers, online listings, calling agencies, and going on interviews.

8 years ago my (previous) boss tried this with me one week and said he'd pay me Monday. And when I got in on Monday and he said he needed more time, I warned him that I would not be taken advantage of. When I wasn't paid the next Friday, I just stayed home the following week. I didn't call in to tell him, just stayed home. After 2 days he called me in a panic. He never tried this again with me. But years later I met someone who worked for him and he owed her thousands of dollars. How can one let it get to that point? Look how he managed to pay on time when he realized an employee wouldn't allow herself to be taken advantage of.

Ma3

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 6:08 am
You have a choice of leaving while he owes you 7000 or you can leave when he'll owe you a lot more. If he's not paying and you keep coming to work, things won't change. You have to stand up for your rights, say you can't work without getting paid and leave if you don't get $$. Get someone to support you in your decision. The right job will come along once you know that that job isn't for you. If there's something that you like there and that isn't letting you leave, decide if you want to stay there as a volunteer Bec you won't see your $ if you don't take action. Also, you might or might not ever see the $ owed to you, so don't let the 7000 become 70000!! On Mordechai Weinberger's (LCSW) hotline someone asked this question about two months ago. His answer was brilliant. If I can track down the exact session number on his recordings, I'll post it here iyh

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 6:39 am
Why is op’s boss’s character or financial situation taken into consideration here??? shock

Op worked; she gets paid.

He shouldn’t hire anyone if he can’t pay them. Or if he can’t pay them due to his financial situation, he should find a way!

& b/c op is single, She gets paid last? That’s just disgusting.

I say do whatever u have to do
In order to get the money owed u.
Court, din Torah, etc

This frum way of thinking, being dan l’caf zechus this time Just wrong.
He is taking advantage of her big time.

Anon b/c I don’t agree with the frum way of thinking a lot of the time
embarrassed

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 8:03 am
Miri7 wrote:
If I heard that a single woman had stood up to her boss and advocated for herself I’d think that she was very well equipped to look after her future family.

But I’m MO and not in shidduch dating circles.

I stood up to him many times.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 8:04 am
amother wrote:
Why is op’s boss’s character or financial situation taken into consideration here??? shock

Op worked; she gets paid.

He shouldn’t hire anyone if he can’t pay them. Or if he can’t pay them due to his financial situation, he should find a way!

& b/c op is single, She gets paid last? That’s just disgusting.

I say do whatever u have to do
In order to get the money owed u.
Court, din Torah, etc

This frum way of thinking, being dan l’caf zechus this time Just wrong.
He is taking advantage of her big time.

Anon b/c I don’t agree with the frum way of thinking a lot of the time
embarrassed

It doesn't have to do with frum. It has to do with the type of guy my boss is and HIS background.

watergirl

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 8:21 am
amother wrote:
It doesn't have to do with frum. It has to do with the type of guy my boss is and HIS background.

Yes, it does have to do with frum. Kind of. This type of thing doesnt often happen in non heimish work environments. And when it does, there are steps that you can take to stop it. Notice I say “heimish”, not “frum”. There are a million threads on here started by a poster asking how much a married man/woman with x amount of kids can be paid. I or another poster point out how illegal and discriminatory that is, and many others insist that its a chessed, the bosses choice, etc. Well friends, this is the flip side of that “chessed”.

Op, in a non frum/non heimish work place, you can report him to multiple agencies and get him to pay you. He knows you wont do that to him. He gets away with it.

Please, know your worth! Get a job where you will be respected.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 8:21 am
amother wrote:
I stood up to him many times.

Yet you're still there, being taken advance of.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 8:25 am
Miri7 wrote:
If I heard that a single woman had stood up to her boss and advocated for herself I’d think that she was very well equipped to look after her future family.

But I’m MO and not in shidduch dating circles.
im yeshivish, and still, a woman owed $7,000. And taking her boss to beis din over it wouldn’t be looked down on at all. If she took him to secular court maybe. (Could be chasidish is different than yeshivish in this case)

simcha2

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 8:26 am
He is not frum. There is clear halacha about paying your workers on time. If he is choosing not to and actively choosing to violate halacha, he is not frum.

That being said, I would tell him that he can choose a beit din or the state, but either way, you are taking him to a court unless you are paid in the next 3 business days. I works also do this in writing do you have a written record.

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:22 am
You don't have to take him to court. You report him to the Department of Labor.

Ask me how I know. I worked for a temp agency many many years ago and they sent me on assignment where I was shown to a desk and given very menial office tasks. First they told me that I couldn't have a soda or cup of coffee at my desk - mind you this was not a front desk position or fancy office - frankly it was a bit of a dump. But okay, that's their prerogative for any reason. However, they gave me mail to open which I did and then just before lunch one of the other workers came over and asked me if I had been instructed on how to look for letter bombs before opening - well that was the corker. I called the agency and told them I was not going back after lunch and the agency refused to pay me for the morning.

So I reported to the Department of Labor and a few months later got my check. It was a minimal amount of course and not $7000 but to me it was totally the principle that no one should be exploited.

http://employment.findlaw.com/......html

The OP should make sure she has all proper proof that she worked and what she is owed. Perhaps before she walks out she can sweetly get him to provide something indicating amount owed. And then, as others state, QUIT. Why work when you aren't getting paid. As long as you are working, you are not as free to devote necessary time to looking for jobs and job interviews.

Also you can collect unemployment under the circumstances. If an employer isn't paying you, they have effectively fired you and therefore you would be entitled to unemployment benefits. Again this is assuming you have proof you worked - did he actually submit required taxes and unemployment statements? If he didn't he is also liable for Federal and State tax fraud as well as probably issues with Unemployment and Workman's Compensation. You could remind him of all this and I think he would fork over the amount AND provide you with a flowing letter of recommendation and a statement that he will not say anything other than you were an exemplary employee to any prospective employer who contacts him.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Mar 18 2018, 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ma3

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:32 am
I think that fighting for the $$ should be done with a Rav's guidance. That should really be step 2, since you said you already asked for payment more than once. First step, is to leave and not go back to work, starting RIGHT NOW!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics