Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Shots- vaccination
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 11:43 pm
In our Pittsburgh Jewish community,
there are 3 children who have suppressed
immune systems since they are either on
organ rejection drugs (from a transplant)
or on Chemo.

They could die from getting chicken pox.

I'd rather not give my children the chicken pox
vaccince - and, yes, now, the booster, but it will
help save a life !

Estee2

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 11:46 pm
Quote:
e don't give antibiotics to get rid of it and you will get better from it if you don't take antibiotics, right?

WOW !

I truly did not know that - I've always thought strep can turn into a staph infection
and spread throughout the body.... Interesting - really Scratching Head

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 12:25 am
Strep and staff are two different organisms. Strep can infect other parts of the body, but it doesn't have to do with whether you treat a strep throat or not!

deedee

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 12:26 am
"If the risks are clearly spelled out in advance to the best of our scientific knowledge, and there is no reasonable way to reduce the risk without compromising the vaccine, then the drug manufacturer and the person giving the injection are free of liability under Jewish law. "
yeah its called find other ways, other then government controlled substances that are the topic of such controversary, to build up ur childs immune system against illness. rather then G-d forbid things happening from vaccines then saying its ok cause I'm free of liablity!

Last edited by deedee on Wed, Sep 05 2007, 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total

deedee

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 12:27 am
chavamom wrote:
Actually, the pp is correct about how some of the vaccines are developed and made.

As for strep, you know we don't give antibiotics to get rid of it and you will get better from it if you don't take antibiotics, right? (check it out - I'm right on this one Wink ). We give antibiotics to prevent rheumatic fever and other (rare) complications.

hey chavamom what do u do for strep cause I get it about once a year (since childhood) and would LOVE not to have to take anitbotics!

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 12:29 am
Here is a bit from a website I googled:
Quote:
Untreated strep throat can cause rheumatic fever. This is a serious illness, although it occurs rarely. The most recent outbreak appeared in the United States in the mid-1980s. Rheumatic fever occurs most often in children between the ages of five and 15, and may have a genetic component, since it seems to run in families. Although the strep throat that causes rheumatic fever is contagious, rheumatic fever itself is not.

Rheumatic fever begins one to six weeks after an untreated streptococcal infection. The joints, especially the wrists, elbows, knees, and ankles become red, sore, and swollen. The infected person develops a high fever, and possibly a rapid heartbeat when lying down, paleness, shortness of breath, and fluid retention. A red rash over the trunk may come and go for weeks or months. An acute attack of rheumatic fever lasts about three months.

Rheumatic fever can cause permanent damage to the heart and heart valves. It can be prevented by promptly treating streptococcal infections with antibiotics. It does not occur if all the streptococcus bacteria are killed within the first 10-12 days after infection.

In the 1990s, outbreaks of a virulent strain of group A Streptococcus were reported to cause a toxic-shock-like illness and a severe invasive infection called necrotizing fasciitis, which destroys skin and muscle tissue. Although these diseases are caused by group A Streptococci, they rarely begin with strep throat. Usually the streptococcus bacteria enters the body through a skin wound. These complications are rare. However, since the death rate in necrotizing fasciitis is 30-50%, it is wise to seek prompt treatment for any streptococcal infection.

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 12:32 am
deedee wrote:

hey chavamom what do u do for strep cause I get it about once a year (since childhood) and would LOVE not to have to take anitbotics!

I do goldenseal and garlic and wait it out a few days. If I'm not getting better after a few days and have a high fever, then I go for antibiotics. I usually avoid it.

deedee

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 12:33 am
do u notice if it makes a diffrence to start that regime the second u feel a twinge in ur throat or till u are sure its red and swollen to start then u end up needing anitbotics?

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 9:31 am
deedee wrote:
I dont know what u think is a lie but I believe everything I posted is true and does go against my religion. did u even read this?

"Q: What constitutes a religious conflict with vaccination?
All vaccines are made in violation of God's Word. Vaccines are made with toxic chemicals that are injected into the bloodstream by vaccination. All vaccines are made with foreign proteins (viruses and bacteria), and some vaccines are made with genetically engineered viral and bacterial materials.

A conflict arises if you believe that man is made in God's image and the injection of toxic chemicals and foreign proteins into the bloodstream is a violation of God's directive to keep the body/temple holy and free from impurities.

A conflict arises if you accept God's warning not to mix the blood of man with the blood of animals. Vaccines are produced in animal tissues, and some vaccines are produced in aborted fetal tissue.

I don't think this 'conflict' overrides pikuach nefesh.

chanab

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 10:22 am
Deedee, try an infusion of ginger (grated ginger covered with boiling water for ten minutes) and honey with a few drops of propolis . Drink frequently in small amounts. Its like magic!

Jo

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 10:22 am
We actually have a BIG measles outbreak in the Jewish community in Stamford Hill (North London)at the moment - and everyone is now rushing to get MMR for their unimmunised children...funny how it takes an outbreak to get people running for the vaccine which they would normally say no to!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 10:39 am
How is it against Judaism to vaccinate your child?

I can understand that people might be afraid of possible side-affects, but using Judaism as an excuse just isn't true.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 11:33 am
From yeshivaworld.com, bolding is my own:

Quote:
London: Vaccinate Your Kids For Measles Outbreak
September 3, 2007

A British tourist in Israel sparked a health scare after being diagnosed with measles. The man, in his early 20s and from the Satmar community in London, arrived in Yerushalayim for a Chasunah. Although feeling unwell, he attended the simcha along with 2,000 others. He was diagnosed four days later.

According to the Ministry of Health in Israel, two further cases of measles have since been reported — both involving tourists from Britain.

Parents are being urged to get their children vaccinated following an outbreak 11 suspected cases of measles this month and all are centred around the Higher Broughton area.

The infection first came to light after three London children contracted measles after a visit to the area and there are fears, left unchecked, the problem could develop into an localised epidemic.

Health workers are concerned the disease is spreading quickly through the area because many members of the Orthodox Jewish community have not had their children vaccinated with the MMR jab which protects against measles, mumps and rubella.

Ruth Philp, nurse consultant in health protection, said: “The Jewish community historically doesn’t have a high level of uptake. It’s hard to say why that is. Sometimes it’s just historical factors but also the fact that the Orthodox community is quite a closed community.

Rabbi Yehunda Brodie, at Manchester Beth Din, does not believe it is a deliberate decision by Jewish parents not to have vaccinations.

He said: “There is no religious reason why a person who is an Orthodox Jew should not have the immunisation. On the contrary protection from disease is a religious duty.

“A lot of Jewish people are sheltered from the media, many homes do not have a TV or radio and people may not necessarily read the general press. It may well be that a more carefully targeted manner of encouraging people to take up vaccinations maybe more appropriate for that community.”

These are at Higher Broughton Clinic on Tuesday, August 28, from 3pm until 5.30pm and at the Agunda Centre, in Northumberland Street, on the same day from 9.30am to 5pm.

(Sources: The JC & Salford Advertiser)

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 12:11 pm
I have heard rabbis say that it depends on how you see your histadlus. A mainstream person who sees their "histadlus" in modern medicine should have their child vaccinated. Those who live their entire life with their hishtadlus in terms of "promoting health" to be strengthening their immune system, herbs, etc, then it is perfectly consistent to say "my religious belief is to not vaccinate". (and I'm not saying that I hold by this, just this is what I heard from a respected rav). Most people I know who vaccinate really aren't sitting around afraid that their child will get measles or mumps. And none of this takes into account the vaccinations they keep piling on that are made for public health reasons that really aren't good policy - I.e. hepatitis B, chicken pox; or that are not so relevant to the frum community, I.e. HSV vaccine.

deedee

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 2:40 pm
well said chavamom
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics