Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How to become a social worker?
Previous  1  2

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 5:01 pm
My child sees a fantastic therapist who is masters level but not social worker (LMFT). He charges $95 an hour. If you work 30 hours a week which is not even full time that is a very decent salary. He works mostly nights and weekends which women may not want to do but a man who does not have the same child care obligations is a totally different story. I would not write off the profession at all. Just be smart about it.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 6:28 pm
Social workers charge a lot more than $95, but you have to take into consideration that you may not find enough clients to fill a 30/40 hour work week.

saralem

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:58 pm
Sorry-I’m not at all a fan of advanced standing one year masters programs in social work. The BSW does not compensate for a year of grad school. Not enough experience, time for growth, self-exploration etc. I’ve worked with plenty of these grads and it’s discouraging. My very strong recommendation for someone committed to the field is to do the 2 year masters in the best school possible. Short cuts really don’t work for this profession.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 9:08 pm
One thing to note is that an MSW program involves two years of interning. Most likely unpaid. The only way to get around that is to have a BSW, and that will shave off a year of interning, possibly less than that. It's a real commitment. And with the internship comes a lot of paperwork, and MSW programs in general involve a lot of academic papers.

Having had a Bachelor's in Psychology, I found that I knew was a little bit ahead knowledge wise than some of my classmates. Much of the more tedious parts of the schooling, such as research, were easier on me because I had the psychology background. But most humanities type degrees should be fine. Not sure about a BTL.

That said, Touro has a decent MSW program. I am a graduate, and you are welcome to PM me for details.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries