Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tell boss about coworker's premature labor?
Previous  1  2

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:05 pm
If she's choosing not to tell the boss, there's probably a good reason that you don't know about. Maybe there's no hope for the baby or she lost the baby already? Maybe the baby has medical issues that she'd rather not deal with?? You can never know, you just know what she told you. It's private information that she obviously trusts you with. So don't break your trust by disclosing.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:09 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not sure if it can be saved at this point- she is Hispanic and English is her second language so I think there is a bit of a language barrier between her and her doctor.

If I knew 100% that the pregnancy could be saved with bed rest, I would tell. But it might be too late at this point honestly.
as long as the baby is still in her there's hope. My doctor said to me that I won't be able to carry any longer he even said that he was 100 percent sure about it. But I went on complete bedrest (the doctor hoped to keep the pregnancy some more days and it turned in months!) and I b''h carried much longer than anyone thought.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:25 pm
Did she tell you why she doesn't want to tell the boss? It sounds like you're speculating, but you may be better able to help her work out a solution if you can get a clearer understanding of her concerns. Hopefully you can have an open conversation with her, btainstorm solutions, and encourage her to work something out.

If after you speak with her, you feel there is a good solution that would address her concerns, but something is still holding her back, perhaps you can speak to the boss without disclosing her personal information. Perhaps you can mention that she's had a lot of medical appointments recently and you think it may be something serious, and maybe he could try to speak with her and offer to work something out with her if needed because you're worried about her health and think she may be hesitant to ask for accommodations.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 7:26 pm
zaq wrote:
OP, you mean well, but details of a pregnancy are confidential medical information that you have no right to reveal to another party without the woman’s consent. You would be legally in the wrong if you told your bosses anything, even if your coworker didn’t tell you not to.?

Just wanted to point out that this isn't true - violating a confidence is not illegal. There would be legal repercussions for a healthcare worker to share confidential health information that they were privy to on the job, this doesn't apply to just anything anyone tells anyone that happens to relate to health information
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics