Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
One thing you remembered from school?
Previous  1  2  3  4

deweybyrd

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 10:48 am
I remember being bullied for litte or no good reason by teachers and students. Many have grown up and apologized but there are a few teachers and students who I remember as being incredibly cruel and cannot forgive unless they ask and give me a REASON to forgive. Lesson is don't be a bully. I spent many years believing those lies convinced I was repulsive and stupid and incurably awful.

Shuly

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 12:42 pm
I loved my 7th grade teacher A"H who taught us Lamed Tes melachos and had us make scrapbooks about it.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 2:25 pm
I'm not a math lover but I loved my HS math teacher. He was so funny and would give math problems like this: Beryl and Channie decide to elope. Beryl brings a 16-foot ladder and leans it at precisely a 45-degree angle to the ground. Just as Beryl reaches Channie's window, the ladder slides out from under him. How far does Beryl fall to the ground?

My ninth-grade math teacher taught us how to convert any unit to any other unit by setting up an equation without cross-multiplying. I used this method in college and grad school chemistry, physics, statistics, etc. and still use it today, sometimes at work and all the time at home. I've never seen anyone else use this method and don't understand why, it's so direct, logical and easy.

ludicrous

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:

My ninth-grade math teacher taught us how to convert any unit to any other unit by setting up an equation without cross-multiplying. I used this method in college and grad school chemistry, physics, statistics, etc. and still use it today, sometimes at work and all the time at home. I've never seen anyone else use this method and don't understand why, it's so direct, logical and easy.

sorry to highjack, but can you share the method?

keym

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:34 pm
I had a teacher in 5th or 6th grade whose motto was "if you're going to do something, do it right and take pride in your work." She was a kodesh teacher who would correct and make us correct our English spelling, grammar, and handwriting.
We considered her a "murder" teacher, but as an adult, I really appreciate the lessons?

amother
White

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:52 pm
amother wrote:
I also went to BY of Monsey and memorized all those things.

Don't remember a word except that when the text said "Da" (as in hebrew for you should know) we had da*n well better switch it to "Aleinu Ldaas" or we wouldn't get any credit for the paragraph.

It didn't give me ANY basics in faith. It just highlighted the idiocy of some school protocols tbh.

Sort of reminds me of this clip I watched. Where 2 grown men are rattling off what they memorized for their Bar Mitzvah but say they have no idea what it means. (contains offensive word)

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
Chava had relations with the snake. After that all humans were born with a Zuhama, a spiritual impurity on them. By Matan Torah, the Zuhama (spiritual impurity) was removed from all Jewish people. The reason that gentiles want to marry Jews is because they sense that Zuhama is missing from the Jewish people. Actually I was told this by my Rav.

Did not know this.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
Did not know this.

I think most of us haven't, it's not mainstream thought and actually I think it's just beyond...

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:
I think most of us haven't, it's not mainstream thought and actually I think it's just beyond...

Rashi says the snake coveted Chava, and expected that she would tell Adam about the fruit. Adam would eat and die and Chava would be with the serpent. But Adam didn’t die then and Chava did not have relations with the snake. The Chumash states very clearly that Adam knew Chava his wife and she conceived and bore Kayin and then Hevel. )And then later Adam sired lots of other offspring.)

Zuhama theory sounds an awful lot like the Christian concept of original sin ( what original? I have no imagination, all my sins are copied from other people LOL) I haven’t heard that Original sin is a Jewish concept. If the Zuhama theory were true, that would mean that the Avot and the Imahot were also thus tainted, something that defies both logic and faith. Isaac, for one, who was bound on the altar as a sacrifice, had to be without blemish.

goodmorning

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 6:34 pm
Rashi elewhere (Shabbos 146a) explains the words of Chava הַנָּחָ֥שׁ הִשִּׁיאַ֖נִי וָאֹכֵֽל as from the language of nisuin -- I.e. the snake "married" me and I ate. כשנתן לה עצה לאכול מן העץ בא עליה דכתיב (בראשית ג) הנחש השיאני לשון נשואין:

That Rashi is found in a discussion of the Gemara of zuhama, which is what the PP was referencing:
שבשעה שבא נחש על חוה הטיל בה זוהמא ישראל שעמדו על הר סיני פסקה זוהמתן גוים שלא עמדו על הר סיני לא פסקה זוהמתן

Also found in Avoda Zara 22b and Yevamos 103b.

If anyone has a grasp on what it's really supposed to mean, it's not me.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 6:56 pm
ludicrous wrote:
sorry to highjack, but can you share the method?

Not sure I can do this clearly typing on a phone but I’ll give an example: If there are 120 calories in a cup of yogurt, how many calories in a tablespoon?

Use as your numerator the units you want, which is calories.

[120 calories / 1cup] times [1cup/ 8 ounces ] times [1ounce/2Tablespoons] =

The cups and ounces cancel out leaving you with 7.5 calories / tablespoon. Of course if you already know that there are 16 Tablespoons in a cup, you just divide 120 by 16.

So now let’s say you want to convert from English to metric. If there are 8 grams of protein in 6 ounces yogurt, how much protein in 50 grams of yogurt?

Put your desired unit in the numerator:
8 grams protein/6 ounces yogurt
times 1ounce/28 grams
times 50 grams =2.38 grams protein

Of course you have to know that one ounce = 28 grams. Suppose you don’t know that, but you know that a kilogram is 2.2 lbs. Then

8 grams protein/6 ounces yogurt
times 16 ounces/pound
times 2.2 pounds/ kilogram
times 1kilogram/ 1000 grams
times 50 grams =2.35 grams protein

The discrepancy between the two calculations is because a kilo isn’t exactly 2.2 pounds. How much is it?

1000 grams per kilo times 1 ounce per 28 grams times 1pound per 16 ounces = 35.7 ounces.

1 kilo per 2.2 pounds times 16 ounces per pound = 35.2 ounces

The units are all rounded off so you get slight discrepancies. Discrepancies in the second decimal place will make no difference in your cooking or diet, though they will if you are calculating, say, the volume of fuel needed to send a rocket to the moon or square yardage needed to carpet all of Buckingham Palace.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Oct 08 2018, 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 6:58 pm
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational