Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My ds Won't Stop Climbing!

mimivan

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 9:32 pm
My ds is `15 months old and bli ayin hara is cheerful and has a lot of energy.
He seems like he is training for the Baby Everest, because he climbs on everything and anything EVERY CHANCE HE GETS!

We have a playpen, and sometimes he will sit there if he is given something really yummy or fun, but will only stay there for about 15 to 20 minutes (and who could blame him?)

Basically, I have to turn my chairs upside down on the floor to keep him from climbing...

Yes, I know he is probably begging for attention, but he climbs even when I give him my full attention and sometimes I do need to attend to his older brother.

Anybody have advice? I just accepted this as a fact of life with my oldest, but with more than one, I feel that something should be done, because it makes life very difficult, all this climbing...(he doesn't really seem into obeying, at least not at this age...is this the nature of 15 year olds or something I am doing?>)

Helani

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 10:06 pm
If you figure out what to do about it let me know. Smile My almost three year old climbed on the kitchen table before he could even walk (I think at around 10 months). Just today he managed to get down a bunch of games from the highest shelf of the bookshelf (probable at least 6 if not 7 feet high).

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 6:28 am
Do the best you can to distract him to do something else when you catch him in the act.

Maybe you can also try buying a child-friendly climbing toy for in the house - like a small slide or child-sized table that he would be permitted to climb on.

Also, climb-proof your house as well as you can - the "climbing toddler stage" is a difficult one that many of us have to endure. Hatzlacha!

mimivan

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 7:08 am
I'm seriously considering moving into a padded cell...with padded cell furniture! LOL

Tamiri

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 7:48 am
Very Happy

Last edited by Tamiri on Tue, Oct 09 2007, 7:50 am; edited 2 times in total

Tamiri

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 7:49 am
I have five boys. The eight year old and the almost three year old think we live in a gym. The eight year old uses every available floor tile tp practice cartwheels and doing handstands and walking on his hands. He can switch off lights (gets to the switch) while standing on his hands. He knocked a plate of goodies from the Simchat Torah kiddush right out of my hands and into the sand on the way home from shul. The three year old climbs on everything that can be climbed and has been this way since he could walk. I once found wrappers from FOUR packages of gum.... you don't want to know where the gum was (hint: not all over the place). he shlepped a chair over to the granite counter-top, hauled himself up and opened the upper cabinet where he knew the gum was. All very quietly, of course. This little one has been climbing up and down the stairs since he was around 8 months old. He has been jumping off the last few steps for quite a while. I am fortunate to live in a house where most of this doesn't matter. My house is boy friendly. Let them climb, as long as they adhere to the cardinal rule of NO climbing on the top bunk bed, which is off limits. I also am home so I know that if it's too quiet I need to check up on where the little one is climbing.
This is how (some) boys are. My eldest was like this too. Amazingly or not, these three active climbing boys have lean, lithe bodies and muscle definition too... can there be a correlation?
Question
Just relax and keep them safe. Climbing is a great body builder and an outlet for energy.

red sea

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 12:06 pm
http://www.robertmunsch.com/pl.....id=68

very intelligent addition to this thread, click any one of the 3 choices to listen Smile

su7kids

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 12:36 pm
YOu definitely have to make the area safe as you can. Also, keep taking him down, without discussion. Just take him down. If he wants attention, give it to him in other ways. But every time you see him climbing, take him down and put him back on the floor and take away the thing he's using to climb on.

If you don't mind that he climbs, then don't do anything.

Can you take him to a park or somewhere safe to climb?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 1:51 pm
He's much too old for a playpen, Mimivan! That's for a really young baby !

RedVines

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 2:36 pm
In my opinion he really isnt that young for a playpen it is just that he has so much energy and curiosity that when he is done, he is done! my 15 month old would take naps in them!

I understand you completly!!!my 19 month old climbs like it is the only activity in the world! All I can say is it stops when they turn 3!

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 11:33 pm
mazel tov! you have a boy.

on a side note. I have two pipes on the wall in my sons room, he likes to climb to the ceiling with them,,,,oy. Todat he somehow managed to get his arm stuck between the pipe and the wall.

RedVines

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 12:14 am
no no it is not just boys...mine is a girl!!!!!

Tefila

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 12:34 am
I have the same just so u should know 4 the future........... you have an athlete, a mover and shaker on your hands Tongue Out

Tamiri

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 6:53 am
Um.. hanging my head here... I did post about my climbing almost 3 year old whom I have to watch to make sure he doesn't get into anything I don't want him in... well, today, quicker than you can say 1-2-3 he climbed onto the counter (again) - we had JUST come into the house and he saw a bag of sesame treats that his big brother had left on a high shelf and... CRASH, he knocked over our blender jar, made of glass, which we had gotten not three months ago after DH broke the last one which we had for 20 years. Uch, now it means a shlep into Tel Aviv to get yet another one, and it ain't cheap, like 120 shekels.
The good news is that the blender jar broke, and not CV"C anything on my little one's body. The counters and floors here are just plain unforgiving.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 10:51 am
Mimivan, were you talking about MY 15 month old? Wink
He keeps me on my toes 24/7, cant have him out of sight for a minute! B"H
But he doesn't really do it for attention, just that he has to get to everywhere, see everything, touch everything, and break everything!!
And yes, I also 'dump' him into the playpen for 15-20 minutes here and there, to get a little break! Twisted Evil

mimivan

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 10:59 am
Tamiri wrote:
Um.. hanging my head here... I did post about my climbing almost 3 year old whom I have to watch to make sure he doesn't get into anything I don't want him in... well, today, quicker than you can say 1-2-3 he climbed onto the counter (again) - we had JUST come into the house and he saw a bag of sesame treats that his big brother had left on a high shelf and... CRASH, he knocked over our blender jar, made of glass, which we had gotten not three months ago after DH broke the last one which we had for 20 years. Uch, now it means a shlep into Tel Aviv to get yet another one, and it ain't cheap, like 120 shekels.
The good news is that the blender jar broke, and not CV"C anything on my little one's body. The counters and floors here are just plain unforgiving.

Tamiri:
Good thing you are taking it well. After 5 years of marriage and ba'h 2 boy climbers, most of my plates and bowls are smashed! Either from little ones crashing them onto the floor, or my nerves when I accidentally drop something on the way to retrieve a climber. I need to find new to match with our dinner plates, and I can't find the same pattern! My babysitter says it is good when kids break things--she's Breslov--and she says they believe it is a kappora for the kids. Wish my MIL who bought the set had the Breslov outlook in this respect embarrassed LOL

Anyway, from the majority of the posts, I gather that this is something to cope with...no miracle cure..although there have been many good suggestions...

One annoying individual once said to a friend "Why is it that I can get my dog to sit by just saying "Sit" but you can't get your baby to stop climbing??" (this was the kind of person who loves animals more than people, )

My friend answered, "Because unlike my son, your dog has a brain the size of a walnut."

Tamiri

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 11:08 am
Mimi, I keep reminding myself that I have FIVE boys, so nothing is a big deal, unless they start wanting to wear dresses. My house is a clean nothing, there is barely anything to break (except my stunning candelabra, go read my post on that one) and nothing I really care about except they should not break their bones or teeth or anything. So - whatever,no big deal. As far as dishes: we have no bowls left from the Milchig every day and shabbat ones (Correlle, nothing too pricey) and very very few plates. Our best plates we got in Shuk HaCarmel on one of our visits to Israel when we still lived in the States. We got these cheap plates that are almost disposable to use on our trip - and none of them has broken or chipped yet!!! For Fleishigs we are still pretty okay. I always wanted to start replenishing, get a good set for dairy but who am I kidding: why invite heartache. We'll get nice dishes when we are too old to appreciate them! I don't spend money on the house, what can I tell you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics