Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Sniffles and MMR vax

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 10:12 pm
DD is due for MMR and of course it's more pressing now that it's going around. She's had a cold. I'm worried about keeping on putting it off but I don't want to put her at risk. How long should I wait? How clear does it have to be?

I already waited longer than I should have because she had a reaction to her 1-year-old MMR shot. Not the kind of reaction that doctors would take seriously enough to not give the next shot, but she was acting a little crazy and really not like herself for a couple of weeks and I was really worried that maybe she was one of those few people who really does change after the shot. But BH BH BH she recovered from that.

I am still nervous from that but I also don't want to get or spread measles! It hasn't spread where I live yet but I'm not far from those places and people visit back and forth.

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 12:36 pm
I would call the doctor and ask. I’m sure they’ve had such a situation lots of times.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 1:24 pm
That was my first thought but I think the doctors are so worried about the outbreak that they will push everyone to get the shot right away even if it's not in that person's best interest.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 1:45 pm
deleted

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 28 2022, 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 1:51 pm
I am asking if anyone has information about what level of sickness makes it unsafe to give the shot. What are the risks of giving it when a child is not feeling 100% and how long after being sick do you need to wait until it's safe.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 1:52 pm
newbie wrote:
I would call the doctor and ask. I’m sure they’ve had such a situation lots of times.

Um, no
Medicine is very polarized about this and unfortunately you can't rely on your Dr to take into account the other side of the story unless you know he is one of the few who venture out of the box. And there is another side to the story. No one wants to deal with measles but if your child reacted previously and recovered, I would say be so thankful that you were forwarned that she is vulnerable.

naomi2

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:10 pm
If I were you, I wouldn't give the next shot. Because your dd had a reaction to the first, she may have a worse one from the second. And don't rely on your Dr to give you sound advice on this. Because measles has not spread to your neighborhood yet, I wouldn't worry. Even if it were in your neighborhood, I wouldn't give it. I would take the. Chance on temporary measles rather than permanent damage. Thus is my personal opinion and you should do a lot of research on the interenet and read all the vaccine inserts before deciding.

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:21 pm
AFAIR, I child not feeling well and delaying a shot because of that doesn't have anything to do with it the vaccine being dangerous at that time, but rather with how much immunity the child will generate since if its body is busy with a cold, it may not generate enough immunity to the vaccine. Discuss it with your child's doctor. Also, some children are almost always sniffly so I wouldn't really even consider that an issue to mention, but that is your choice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics