Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I'm Seas, ask me anything
  Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16  Next

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:10 pm
goodmorning wrote:
As far as I can tell, he applies the entire concept sweepingly across the board to all Jews because of the lack of clarity today. As I said, it's somewhat innovative.

Possibly.

But what I find really disingenuous in this whole issue is the picking and choosing of rabbis just to get the opinion which suits you ("you" in the general sense). Take this, the Chofetz Chaim in shmiras halashon clearly paskens that dinim of bein adam l'chaveiro don't apply to apikorsim and people who don't keep mitzvos (for more details see chapter 8).

In most things the Chofetz Chaim (Mishna Brura) is regarded as the final posek. And conversley, the Chazon Ish is regarded as a machmir whom basically only the "Chazon Ishniks" follow. Yet where there is an opinion which favors non-frum people, suddenly the Chazon Ish becomes the standard.

Another example is inviting someone for Shabbos when it's clear they'll drive on Shabbos. Rav Moishe Feinstein clearly held that it's assur and is a chilul Hashem. Yet these same people who'll happily consume chalav akum, leave quite a bit of their hair uncovered, are very lenient in regards to mechitzos, and more, all in the name of Rav Moishe, totally ignore his psak in regards to inviting for Shabbos.

So it's one thing to stick to a posek and accept all his leniencies together with his chumros, but another thing altogether to shop around for the most lenient opinion.

goodmorning

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:20 pm
I don't know if I agree with your characterization as the MB as the posek acharon, but that's another discussion.

You seem to regard the Chazon Ish as being meikil in zealotry against apikorsim/avaryanim. Maybe, rather, he is being machmir on mitzvos bein adam lachaveiro, including ahavas Yisroel?

Similarly, maybe one who follows R' Shlomo Zalman in inviting guests who may drive on Shabbos is not being meikil in the halachos of lifnei iver / meisis / shemiras Shabbos but rather being machmir in the mitzvos of ahavas Yisroel and attempting to return Jews to Torah umitzvah observance?

(Please note that no one drinks chalav akum b'shem R' Moshe. They drink "chalav stam," or "chalav hacompanies.")

goodmorning

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:22 pm
(Also, the Chazon Ish was quite aware of the CC/MB's psakim. His new psak may have been in light of a new metzi'us that sprang up since the CC's days, in which case, deferring to his psak may be utterly reasonable in light of the circumstances.

Note that I'm not saying that it was, just that it's possible.)\

(This is an interesting case where R' Moshe is more machmir than the CI, assuming that it's a chumra to label a mechallel Shabbos as a mumar.)

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:30 pm
goodmorning wrote:
(Also, the Chazon Ish was quite aware of the CC/MB's psakim. His new psak may have been in light of a new metzi'us that sprang up since the CC's days, in which case, deferring to his psak may be utterly reasonable in light of the circumstances.

Note that I'm not saying that it was, just that it's possible.)\

(This is an interesting case where R' Moshe is more machmir than the CI, assuming that it's a chumra to label a mechallel Shabbos as a mumar.)

This doesn't really shtim with history.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:51 pm
Seas wrote:
Possibly.

But what I find really disingenuous in this whole issue is the picking and choosing of rabbis just to get the opinion which suits you ("you" in the general sense). Take this, the Chofetz Chaim in shmiras halashon clearly paskens that dinim of bein adam l'chaveiro don't apply to apikorsim and people who don't keep mitzvos (for more details see chapter 8).

In most things the Chofetz Chaim (Mishna Brura) is regarded as the final posek. And conversley, the Chazon Ish is regarded as a machmir whom basically only the "Chazon Ishniks" follow. Yet where there is an opinion which favors non-frum people, suddenly the Chazon Ish becomes the standard.

Another example is inviting someone for Shabbos when it's clear they'll drive on Shabbos. Rav Moishe Feinstein clearly held that it's assur and is a chilul Hashem. Yet these same people who'll happily consume chalav akum, leave quite a bit of their hair uncovered, are very lenient in regards to mechitzos, and more, all in the name of Rav Moishe, totally ignore his psak in regards to inviting for Shabbos.

So it's one thing to stick to a posek and accept all his leniencies together with his chumros, but another thing altogether to shop around for the most lenient opinion.

Sorry to be petty, Seas.....

1) There is no such thing as Cholov Akum, Treif milk is osur according to everyone..
Reb Moshe says, based on the Chasam Sofer that if the farmer is afraid of using non-Kosher animals and mixing it into the cows milk, this accomplishes the same thing as a Jew watching the milking and its called CY.

2) Seas, are you saying that you NEVER listen to music aside from a wedding

You never use a timer on Shabbos for an A/C

You get all your meat directly from a farm and soak/salt it within 72 hours, you don't rely R Moshe's heter to freeze the meat and ship it by truck to the processing plant

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 6:08 am
No offense, the heter comes from EUROPE 500 years ago and isn't about rabbi MOshe Feinstein...

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 9:20 am
Gotta run but before sharing one of my favorite gadol stories, printed repeatedly in Yated, I want to say that I always find the intelligence and erudition of many posters positively bracing. (Waving to Good Morning.)

Someone went to the Chazon Ish with a complaint. There was an orphanage and as he walked by he could hear the girls singing zemiros. He wanted something done - the girls spoken to, the windows shut, whatever.
The Chazon Ish's face lit up (here's where I start to tear up). He was so happy to hear this. These girls were Holocaust survivors, who'd come orphaned and broken. To hear that they actually were able to sing and find simchas hachaim simply made his day.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 11:49 am
Seas and GoodMorning, my eyes are glazing over. No, actually, I think I'm following. I can almost feel my IQ going up as I follow the discussion ;-D

4pom

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 9:24 pm
Seas.
I’m not a frequent visitor or poster to Imamother.
A while back I commented on my view of your approach to life in this thread. I didn’t feel like I was heard or answered.
I just saw a particularly judgemental and critical post of yours elsewhere- where you again accuse someone of stupidity and misunderstanding you!

I no longer am able to find much to be dan lekaf zechus in you. And actually feel my attitude right now is pretty non-forgiving. And I say this in “I” statements. I feel very disturbed by hearing your judging tone.

Perhaps a course in non-violent communication would be something you would consider.
EDITED to remove comments said in anger and add that NVC is a real program.
And I really wonder if you honestly believe that the gedolim whose derech you follow ever personally attack people? Be consistent follow the derech you claim in all ways.

Last edited by 4pom on Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Seas

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 9:27 pm
I wrote a lengthy post, explaining my points. Someone, too cowardly to use her sn, called it garbage, vile and more. I replied in kind. I think such nasty attacks deserve the same back. I don't really care whether you like me or not.

I hope my I statements were clear enough.

4pom

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 9:39 pm
Seas wrote:
I wrote a lengthy post, explaining my points. Someone, too cowardly to use her sn, called it garbage, vile and more. I replied in kind. I think such nasty attacks deserve the same back. I don't really care whether you like me or not.

I hope my I statements were clear enough.

I used to think we had come to different points of hashkafa. And sought to understand your perspective. But your tone belies that we have a very different understanding of what good/ mentchlichkeit and even truth and Judaism is about.
I dont think a nasty comeback is ever called for.
I sense a strong lack of emes which you hold as your banner. And - again we completely diverge in our values. I would value a respectful communication of our differences and would value the opportunity to understand and be understood. However, thats only possible when both parties feel that way.
In this case, as I have finally heard loud and clear, that is not your prerogative.

hannabanana

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:19 am
groisamomma wrote:
I haven't read the Pittsburgh thread you keep referring to so I'm answering based on all the other times Seas has stood up for kavod shamayim. Yes!! Hashem doesn't "need" us to protect him, but standing by while His name is being desecrated, while halacha is blatantly misinterpreted and passed off as facts, and people spewing obvious opikorsis (and don't tell me you haven't seen it here!) it is a sin not to stand up and call them out on it. It bothers me terribly when these things go unacknowledged, but I don't know enough to do it myself. I tried once to contradict friedasima and got burned on a personal level that even though I know I was correct (many posters chimed in or PM'd me their agreement, and my DH who has semicha several times over gave me the sources) I'm too much of a coward to stand up to certain posters after that. Incidentally, that's when DH started calling imamother a cesspool because he feels that standing by while posters denigrate Hashem and His halachos is damaging to my yiras shamayim. Seas is actually doing people like me a favor every time she sets the record straight because otherwise my fickle mind believes that what the other poster spewed makes sense so therefore it must be true.

Hope I was coherent here...

Can't agree with you more...
sometimes Imamother reads like an anti-sematic blog...
Or is it Anti chasidish? All these ideas about us not being well read, not on the internet, stuck, and so forth.
seas, I haven't come across your posts much, mostly cuz I made my filter company take imamother of my radar, for the above reason! ( I have a new phone, didn't get around to doing it again, yeah ppl are full of contradictions...)
I really admire you for standing up for k'vod shamiam! Me, I'm too sensitive for that. But I'm secretly cheering you on.
Oh, and I think certain amothers are coming across as insulting and crass while seas is just stating what she believes to be the truth with equanimity. Go figure

hannabanana

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:45 am
And, one point here, seas is contending that you gotta like the ones who've wronged you before you love the frie. I say maybe start loving the one to the Right as much as you love the ones to the left... in other words, there are threads on here that really disparages and puts down the chasidim, while at the same time talking about accepting and loving the rebels. and I'm talking about the hard core rebels. And you can see what R borg says to be true. If you check out some questionable personalities on instagram like FG
She's all about loving the lbgt groups but spreads lies and untruths about chasidim, and we can see from the latest debacle her total disrespect for rabbanim

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:54 am
hannabanana wrote:
sometimes Imamother reads like an anti-sematic blog...

I read this as "anti-semantic" and certainly agree.

From urban dictionary:

"Dave, you're being antisemantic."
"That's unfounded, some of my best friends are meaningful."

Last edited by imasoftov on Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:57 am
groisamomma wrote:
Seas is actually doing people like me a favor every time she sets the record straight because otherwise my fickle mind believes that what the other poster spewed makes sense so therefore it must be true.

In that case I suppose I'll have to respond to more of her posts. What makes that difficult is that she often omits sources or even direct quotes in Hebrew.

cinnabon

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 2:01 pm
Seas, this is totally random but are you by any chance Raizy’s cookin?
Your tone definitely reminds me of hers.
And you both wear a band 😉
I know you probably won’t answer but just putting it out there

hannabanana

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 2:10 pm
Imasoftov

I think you come across very caustic on this thread and in many other threads. Much more so than seas

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:45 am
hannabanana wrote:
Imasoftov

I think you come across very caustic on this thread and in many other threads. Much more so than seas

I agree that I do sometimes, but I disagree with you about this one.

When someone makes a typo and someone else suggests a fake definition, they're laughing at the clash between what the first person was trying to say and what came out in their own head, they're not mocking the person who mystyped it. I see you're new, there's one huge thread called What is your immediate reaction to thread titles (continued) where not all, but many, of the nearly 600 pages (the original thread had 459 pages) are about typos in the titles.

I encourage all new members to learn the culture on this or any other site before trying to enforce personal standards.

hannabanana

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:57 am
Oh imasoftov!

I wasn’t talking about what you replied to me! Sorry if you miss understood. That’s not personal and I didn’t take it as such. I meant your replies on some other threads. I believe some bullying comment were removed.

I just wrote that in context to seas being attacked for just sticking up to the right values!

That’s all, good Night

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 3:24 am
Seems like you all pushed seas off the edge. She's not posting, responding or engaging anymore. You people are having one sided conversations
Page 15 of 16   Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics