Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Instant calm?!

amother
Red

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:39 pm
My 9 month old was screaming hysterically tonight, he's been fussy the last couple days and I think he's teething. He looked like he was in a lot of pain so I gave him Tylenol. This is the third time I've given him Tylenol for teething pain (he has 8 teeth) and each time he calms down within seconds of swallowing the medicine. Is that normal? Shouldn't it take at least a few mins to kick in? It's worrying me that the Tylenol seems to knock him out.

Goldie613

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 2:36 am
Just double checking here - are you giving him the amount for infants, using the infant version of tylenol?

Also, when you say it knocks him out, do you mean that he's sedated from the medicine (concerning) or just that he calms down because he doesn't seem to be in any pain (as in, he's still alert, acts normal, etc)?

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 2:46 am
Tylenol takes half an hour to have any effect, so he's not calming down instantly from the lack of pain. My guess is that he likes the sweet taste and that's what calms him.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:51 am
I'm using infant Tylenol in a smaller dosage then he can technically have based on his weight. He gets calm within seconds and then falls right asleep within the next few minutes. I know it should take a half hour to kick in which is why I'm concerned

ectomorph

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:59 am
Sweet taste is a pain reliever in babies.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:02 am
I've heard that others have that experience, so it's not that uncommon, although I'm not sure if it is normal.

I would try giving a placebo of sugar water and seeing if it brings the same results.

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 5:31 am
I also saw by my kids when theyre babies that Tylenol helped them right away....as opposed to adults. Could it be it gets digested by them faster?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 5:48 am
He May feel relieved (pun intended) because he knows he will soon feel relief

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 11:02 am
When my ds was a baby and was teething he also calmed down almost instantly from Tylenol.
Also, m pediatrician (Dr. Shanik) says that infant tolan and childrens are interchangeable. You can confirm with you pediatrician.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 11:26 am
Lol my baby did the same thing!
(It couldn't be getting "knowing" he would soon feel relieved because he did it the first and second time he got it. The third time we have sugar water and it worked lol. The next time we tried the placebo effect it didn't work, tho)
We only gave him Tylenol a handful of times.
We definitely gave him the correct dosage.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 12:24 pm
Ok good to know it's normal. Yes my pediatrician told me that infant and children's Tylenol used to be different but they made them the same due to safety concerns. I have a feeling it has to do with the sugar but now that I know other babies do it too I'm not so worried.

Thanks everyone! When does teething end? Can't Believe It

octopus

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
Ok good to know it's normal. Yes my pediatrician told me that infant and children's Tylenol used to be different but they made them the same due to safety concerns. I have a feeling it has to do with the sugar but now that I know other babies do it too I'm not so worried.

Thanks everyone! When does teething end? Can't Believe It

It has to do with parents by mistake overdosing their infants with the more concentrated formula.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 2:49 pm
octopus wrote:
It has to do with parents by mistake overdosing their infants with the more concentrated formula.

Right, she explained that to me. I'm not concerned about that though because I always give less than the recommended dosage since it seems to run in my family to need less than regular pain killer to feel relief.

dankbar

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 1:33 pm
Babies feel pain delayed in time & passes quickly by them. That's why when they fall it takes them a min to start crying & by time you give them a kiss the pain is over already. Did you as an adult ever try falling?

octopus

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 1:53 pm
dankbar wrote:
Babies feel pain delayed in time & passes quickly by them. That's why when they fall it takes them a min to start crying & by time you give them a kiss the pain is over already. Did you as an adult ever try falling?

I don't think babies feel pain differently than we do. They are more distractable perhaps.

dankbar

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 2:07 pm
A baby will recover quicker from his bris than adult would.

keym

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 2:32 pm
dankbar wrote:
A baby will recover quicker from his bris than adult would.

That has nothing to do with how they each feel pain.
The scars, scabs, bleeding, etc last approx the same amount.
And its incredibly painful for the baby, and I hate that people minimize the pain just because a bris is something we all do.
And our chachamim knew that. That's why we give the baby wine- painkillers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics