Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Starting from scratch
1  2  Next

miami85

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:42 am
Making pesach for the first time at home (family of 6 ka"h). Don't have anything. Tell me the basic essential keilim. We eat gebrokts but don't buy a lot of pre-made goods. Obviously I can't get EVERYTHING this year, but what should be my priorities?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:49 am
My essentials are a 1) A good knife, peeler, box grater, spatula and mixing spoon. 2) A small to medium pot you can boil eggs in 2) a deep skillet that also works if you want to boil water or soup. 3) baking sheets for roasting veggies. You can get all of this at home goods for cheap.

I saw an amazing hack to make hard boiled eggs in a metal muffin pan in the oven. A 6 qt crockpot is very helpful to make chicken soup, roasts, cholent for chol ha moed and does not cost a fortune.

tf

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:55 am
A set of pots
Dish towels
Seder plate with glass cups for it

When I did my first Pesach I went through the hagada and 15 simonim and made my list according to that. I had everything. I.e. kadeish-wine cups for everyone. Irchatz-wash cup and towels etc.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:56 am
mha3484 wrote:
My essentials are a 1) A good knife, peeler, box grater, spatula and mixing spoon. 2) A small to medium pot you can boil eggs in 2) a deep skillet that also works if you want to boil water or soup. 3) baking sheets for roasting veggies. You can get all of this at home goods for cheap.

I saw an amazing hack to make hard boiled eggs in a metal muffin pan in the oven. A 6 qt crockpot is very helpful to make chicken soup, roasts, cholent for chol ha moed and does not cost a fortune.

Not OP but also making pesach for 1st time. Great list !

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:02 am
I try to buy as little as possible as it is less to shlep and store. I use a lot of plastic- plates and cutlery. My first couple of years I had some pots, a frying pan, a couple of big mixing bowls, sharp knives, ladle etc. I bought a lot in dollar tree- measuring cups, ladles/spatula etc, mixing bowls, oven mitts. Use disposable pans it's only 8 days. In a pinch you can even cook in a 9x13 on top of the stove.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:03 am
Think about how you cook on Pesach. If you plan on doing a bunch of baking and you need to whip egg whites or other whip, I would get a hand mixer. I actually got a multi-attachment hand blender, which gave me a small chopper (like a mini- food processor), a blender, and an automated whisk, for a reasonable price.

You also definitely want a milchig frying pan if you do a lot of eggs or matzah brei on chol hamoed. Measuring cups are important if you bake. For me, I don't buy baking pans of any kind- I use disposable and line with foil to get more uses when possible.

cm

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:04 am
Very helpful thread on this recently - I hope someone will link it for you. Start by thinking about what/how you cook. For me, I got a set of fairly inexpensive but good quality non-stick pots and pans at a discount outlet. Also, avoid the impulse to get cheapy things for "only one week a year." Pesach is food-prep-intensive, and good (not necessarily expensive) equipment will make it much more efficient.

ETA - Here's the link:
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....52358

Last edited by cm on Wed, Jan 23 2019, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:41 am
Cutlery
Good knife
Food processor
Hand mixer
Convection oven- unless you can use your regular oven
Crockpot- great for chol hamoed suppers

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:53 am
You need hot-plate or blech because this year pesach is shabbos.

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:54 am
Perculator or tea kettle.

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:55 am
Think whatever you normally use to cook/eat besides for chometz

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:10 pm
For table what tablecloth will you use. Kaareh/Seder plate/ matzo cover. Wine decanters. Pillow cases. Afikomen bag. What bechers/cups/ saucers will you use. Salt shakers. Holders for charoses, maror, salt water, dips. Napkin holder. Cutlery. Dishes. Serving bowls & trays, Pitchers. Washcup/washbowl/fingertowel.
Reg towels/dish towels/New broom.

Haggadahs/benchers/siddurim/machzorim

These are for eating basically

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:18 pm
Think for chol hamoad eating breakfast/ supper.
Tablecloth/placemats/ knives/cutlery dishes/peelers/ frying pans milk/meat. Eggpots. Pots milk/meat. Spatula. Serving spoons/ladles.
Electric burners/small oven.
Perculator/tea kettle with coffee mugs.
If you use cans need can opener. Wine opener. Nut crackers. You may want to use apple corers/egg slicers.
Trivets/ cutting boards/ strainers for soup/ funnels if you make your own juices.

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:22 pm
Plastic sinks/ faucet covers/ counter covers if you don't have pesach kitchen.
Fridge liners/shelf liners/ heavy duty silver paper/masking tape for covering chometz areas.

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:31 pm
For cooking /baking
Pots/pans.baking pans aluminim/steel.
Cookie sheets. Round tube pans. 9×13. Storage pans. Parchment paper.
Mixing bowls. Spatula.

Hand mixers. For cake batters eggsnows.
Food processor for kugel. Grated veg.
Handblenders for blended soups.

For storage jars/ containers

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:38 pm
Plastic bottles if you make your own juice. Something to squeeze citrus fruits for juice. Braun Food processor has something for it. If you do.
Crepe makers are helpful if you make egg crepe noodles.
Crockpot is helpful for cholent.

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:45 pm
Dish racks/mats

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 1:04 pm
Slotted spoons/Slotted spatula. Wooden mixing spoons.

I have pineapple peeler/corer which I love. Little hand gadget.
You need diff type of knives. Large for melons/meat. Medium for reg cutting peeling. Small for fruit eating.

You may enjoy chicken shears.
Some people make their own chopped liver, Ground meat & use a meat mill.

I buy ground meat & chopped liver I make in my food processor.

Some people use electronic apple peelers/Potato peelers. Personally a knife or reg peeler is just fine for me.

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 1:09 pm
If you pound your cutlets you need a meat hammer/tenderizer

saralem

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:44 pm
Start with making menus and then figure out what utensils are needed. For example if you make a lot of kugels, buy a food processor. Hamilton Beach makes a cheap one but decent quality. Use loads of foil pans. Buy serving bowls at dollar store. And enjoy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics