Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How do you prove taxi to work as expense (for tax purposes)?
Previous  1  2

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 2:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seems like you're the only lucky one here! Do you have any more info on this? Like which tax code/law (I don't know the correct terminology) this is?

That's probably part of her employee benefits package from her workplace.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 3:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seems like you're the only lucky one here! Do you have any more info on this? Like which tax code/law (I don't know the correct terminology) this is?

Flexible spending. Its a deduction from the pre-tax income of each paycheck. You submit receipts for reimbursement (or use their card to purchase your tickets, depending on the plan). Its free for your employers, and a big help to employees. EVERY workplace should offer it.

You can also do flexible spending for uninsured healthcare costs. Again, free to the employer.

egam

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 3:16 pm
veiznisht wrote:
You cannot deduct taxis to and from home to work. You can deduct if say, you have a work meeting somewhere that you need to take a cab to from your regular place of work.

Commuting to a work meeting is usually reimbursable by your work place, not as tax deduction.
Commuting to work was never tax deductible for an employee.
What used to be deductible, was commuting between 2 different jobs. This was squashed this year, unless you fall under certain category (military, disability)

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 3:36 pm
Stars wrote:
Receipts . Sure you can claim it as an expense.

No you cant. Wouldn't her accountant know this?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...../amp/

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 3:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Many large employers offer this benefit. I’m definitely far from the only one. But to clarify it wouldn’t apply for taxi txport to work

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 3:51 pm
Some work places offer you the option to purchase a MetroCard or bus ticket book directly through them pre-tax, but that's about it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 6:01 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Many large employers offer this benefit. I’m definitely far from the only one. But to clarify it wouldn’t apply for taxi txport to work

That's correct. I recently researched it and the benefit only applies to public transportation or pooled shared rides to work. Parking can be included as well but not a taxi to and from work.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 6:08 pm
pesek zman wrote:

My husband gets this from his employer as well (very large employer). AFAIK he can only use it for metrocards or other public transport.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 6:35 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
My husband gets this from his employer as well (very large employer). AFAIK he can only use it for metrocards or other public transport.

Correct. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15b.pdf See page 20 Qualified Transportation Benefits

momomany

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 6:42 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

I too have this benefit from work. I am a union emplyee at a hospital. I have used pretax dollars to pay for parking. It was not good for uber or car service but I was allowed to use it for public transportation I think.
Basically I would tell our payroll dept how much to deduct pretax each month toward travel expenses and I got a debit card that was refilled monthly. The card only worked toward the specific expenses mentioned above.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 7:39 pm
Thank you all for your help. I just find it strange that my childcare expenses, which aren't as direct an expense as transportation, are tax deductible, whereas transportation expenses, which enable me to get to work aren't. Weird.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all for your help. I just find it strange that my childcare expenses, which aren't as direct an expense as transportation, are tax deductible, whereas transportation expenses, which enable me to get to work aren't. Weird.

Contact your local Stephen Mnuchin.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:25 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Contact your local Stephen Mnuchin.
k

You’re childcare is only deducted up to 5k per year as far as I know. It’s not dollar for dollar the way (for example) charitable donations are. I can’t imagine that you pay less than 5k in childcare a year
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics