Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Who goes to the country these days?
Previous  1  2  3

gamanit

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:04 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
What do they do after school in the winter?

Play on the sidewalk. I was once walking on the street and some kids were grumbling at me to walk faster because I was interrupting their game. Seriously many people live with no porch and no backyard with a small apartment. I'm glad at least some of them get to go upstate.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:51 pm
gamanit wrote:
Play on the sidewalk. I was once walking on the street and some kids were grumbling at me to walk faster because I was interrupting their game. Seriously many people live with no porch and no backyard with a small apartment. I'm glad at least some of them get to go upstate.

No- I’m saying:
The same way you entertain children in the winter after school you can entertain them in the summer in the city. You dont have to be in the country
(I’ve done both)

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:05 pm
Amother pewter, daycamp is generally a shorter day than school. The schedule is more relaxed, bedtime is later and there's no homework. So there's lots of extra time and the kids are itching to go out. It's very hard to entertain kids indoors when the weather is nice and the afternoon is long.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:18 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
No- I’m saying:
The same way you entertain children in the winter after school you can entertain them in the summer in the city. You dont have to be in the country
(I’ve done both)

It's not about how to entertain the kids. It's about giving kids some space to run and refresh their minds. Staying only in the city can cause depression, especially for kids. I personally can't afford to go away for the whole summer but we try to get away for a night here and there and usually one weekend. I see such a difference in my kids when they have some time to run in the grass.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:26 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Amother pewter, daycamp is generally a shorter day than school. The schedule is more relaxed, bedtime is later and there's no homework. So there's lots of extra time and the kids are itching to go out. It's very hard to entertain kids indoors when the weather is nice and the afternoon is long.

My daycamp day is longer than the school day!!
Again- I’ve done both.
Theres nothing quite like the country.
But for those of us leaving our husbands behind... the thought doesnt sit right with me

chestnut

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:41 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Seeker and chestnut, my kids daycamps are also about $550 for the summer. These are their schools daycamps & this is the normal price for chassidish school daycamps. I once sent to private which was $950 for the summer. The schools daycamp is excellent, they like it more than private daycamp.

Ah, it's chassidishe camps. awesome prices.
Girls' (non chassidishe) camps are $1,400+ for the summer

chestnut

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:45 pm
gamanit wrote:
Staying only in the city can cause depression, especially for kids.

While it's definitely amazing for kids to breath fresh air and run around, let's not make it a health necessity.

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:45 pm
chestnut wrote:
While it's definitely amazing for kids to breath fresh air and run around, let's not make it a health necessity.

Yes please not!!

gamanit

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:47 pm
chestnut wrote:

It is very important for kids to have breathing space at least some of the time. While there are kids that can get by with less, don't underestimate the importance of greenery. Central Park was originally built for poor kids to have room to run and play. There are visible health differences between kids given a healthy amount of outdoor play vs. kids that spend most of their life indoors.

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:56 pm
gamanit wrote:
It is very important for kids to have breathing space at least some of the time. While there are kids that can get by with less, don't underestimate the importance of greenery. Central Park was originally built for poor kids to have room to run and play. There are visible health differences between kids given a healthy amount of outdoor play vs. kids that spend most of their life indoors.

Greenery is important but theres so much to consider- the colonies daycamps are usually not the same quality as in the city which is hard for some children. There is a lot of free time thus more unstructured free play which some children have a hard time with. Having your husband away for eight weeks is not ideal. Living on top of other families is not ideal. Some places are quite catty with so many politics. You need to weigh all this with your families needs in mind and see if the greenery of the mountains still comes out ahead. If not you can take sunday trips to some greenery instead.
I’ve been and had good times and not such good experiences so I see that it can be great but it can be detrimental.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:59 pm
aricelli wrote:
Greenery is important but theres so much to consider- the colonies daycamps are usually not the same quality as in the city which is hard for some children. There is a lot of free time thus more unstructured free play which some children have a hard time with. Having your husband away for eight weeks is not ideal. Living on top of other families is not ideal. Some places are quite catty with so many politics. You need to weigh all this with your families needs in mind and see if the greenery of the mountains still comes out ahead. If not you can take sunday trips to some greenery instead.
I’ve been and had good times and not such good experiences so I see that it can be great but it can be detrimental.

Everyone has to do what's right for them. Personally I'm in the city for the summer. I think it would be good for me to take my kids upstate but for now that is out of our reach financially. Living on top of other people is a million times worse for those living in apartment buildings. Unfortunately there are no perfect solutions to most problems so we must accept whichever imperfect solution fits our personal situation best.

soap suds

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:15 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Lots of my neighbors do! Yay! nice and quiet around here when they go. Can't wait!

I'll be here to keep you company! I also look forward to all of my neighbors going away and having some peace and quiet. I find the transition when they come back home quite difficult.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics