Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
If a poster goes AWOL

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:18 am
Do you pm them?
Isn't it a breach of privacy/yentish, like oh why aren't you posting on here anymore/as much?
There are some posters who are not or barely around anymore and I feel stupid pming them.
Thoughts?
And if you do pm them what do you write?

ftm1234

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:20 am
I don't think it's a good idea to reach out to strangers, no matter how active they used to be.

If I stopped posting I wouldn't want anyone to ask me about it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:21 am
ftm1234 wrote:
I don't think it's a good idea to reach out to strangers, no matter how active they used to be.

If I stopped posting I wouldn't want anyone to ask me about it.

That's what I thought.
Otoh it would feel good to hear I'm missed.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:22 am
I would not appreciate it, if someone stopped posting (or just started posting anon) that is their business. I would feel it was a breech of privacy to an extent

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:25 am
amother OP wrote:
That's what I thought.
Otoh it would feel good to hear I'm missed.

I would appreciate hearing that people value my input and then decide if I want to respond to the Pm or not.
You can reach out to tell her how much you appreciate her take on whatever and see if she's interested in continuing the conversation with you.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:27 am
Only if we had had a PM correspondence for a long time so that we had established a somewhat personal relationship (as personal as it can be when you're both using pseudonyms).

watergirl

amother Wine wrote:
I would not appreciate it, if someone stopped posting (or just started posting anon) that is their business. I would feel it was a breech of privacy to an extent

I'm not sure why it's a breech of privacy to send someone a well meaning PM that says I miss you and I hope you are well. Even asking where are you, the person has no requirement to answer. Is it nosey to ask why they left? Sure. But you can ignore it. No privacy breeched. This site has PMs as an option, you can close your account if you want no PMs.

OP, if you really care about someone and are thinking of her, sending her a PM just to say hi, I hope you are ok - that's a nice thing to do. But don't ask where she is etc.

Cookin4days

I don’t think it’s a breach of privacy to check up on a fellow member, just do it respectfully and say I miss you hope everything is OK

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:29 am
watergirl wrote:
I'm not sure why it's a breech of privacy to send someone a well meaning PM that says I miss you and I hope you are well. Even asking where are you, the person has no requirement to answer. Is it nosey to ask why they left? Sure. But you can ignore it. No privacy breeched. This site has PMs as an option, you can close your account if you want no PMs.

OP, if you really care about someone and are thinking of her, sending her a PM just to say hi, I hope you are ok - that's a nice thing to do. But don't ask where she is etc.

This. I totally agree.
If I was thay poster, I would feel good knowing other thought about me and miss me.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:33 am
Let me be "that" person. It's not AWOL (Absent Without Leave) because no one needs permission to stop posting. It's MIA (Missing in Action), which means they were in the arena and you don't know what happened to them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:35 am
amother Bisque wrote:
Let me be "that" person. It's not AWOL (Absent Without Leave) because no one needs permission to stop posting. It's MIA (Missing in Action), which means they were in the arena and you don't know what happened to them.

I know it's not correct terminology.
MIA sounds too severe. Like someone died.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:19 pm
I think it's quite common for people to take a break, have enough on in their personal life or just simply had enough of imamother for a while.
I personally was always most active on here postpartum when I was nursing and had too much time.
Most people probably won't mind if someone sends them a PM, but may choose not to respond or engage.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:44 pm
If I were really concerned about a prolific poster who stopped abruptly without any kind of message saying my life has become busy, I might become concerned about what might have happened.

I think the protocol is to contact Yael to ask her if she can make sure the poster is okay. As I recall this has occurred a few times with posters who just abruptly vanished.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette