Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Leggings
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

chestnut

Post Sat, Jul 06 2019, 10:23 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, so how do y'all feel about putting leggings on little boys, after the age of 3?

What about "skinny pants" for boys, and trendy haircuts that stick up in the front?

I don't think RW communities put leggings on boys over 3 or approve those trendy haircuts, but those skinny pants on boys and men are awful. I wonder if yeshivos have rules about them (I don't have sons, so don't know)

salt

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 2:40 am
4Sisters wrote:
But it really DOES say something about their level. I live in the same city as you, Frantic Frummie, and NO Bais Yaakov here says in their takanon that a girl may wear leggings under a skirt. (Actually even in my US "OOT" city, the girls at BY were not allowed to wear leggings).

Let me correct you. It does not say anything about their *religious* level. It says something about their *fashion* levels perhaps.
And many of the bait yaakov rules are to do with fashion, not with modesty. From what I've seen, they don't like the girls being too fashionable, always keeping up with the latest street-fashions.
EG, not short boots in the winter. Nothing to do with modesty. Sometimes I think the rules are weird, and do not understand where they're coming from. Sometimes they actually help, cos it means I don't have to buy new stuff every season, to fit in with the latest crazes.

Having said that, there is bait yaakov 'fashion' too.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 6:47 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
First, let's clarify. Where do you live? Aleph, Bet, or Gimmel? In Aleph, it's perfectly accepted by most parents and schools. The girls' skirts are not above the knee.

As for for their "level" how does someone's leg covering have anything to do with how many mitzvot they do, how much davening, how much of their allowance they put in tzedakah, and how careful they are with loshon hara? How much to they help around the house? How kind are they to their brothers and sisters?

I know more than a few BY girls who could take middos lessons from leggings wearing MO girls. (And a few Imamother posters, as well.)

You will probably never want to meet me in person. I wear leggings under my skirts in the winter, to keep my legs from getting cold. I wouldn't want you to think I was on such a lower level than you are. Rolling Eyes

No, 4Sisters is right. As far as I can tell in the Bais Yaakov system in RBS Aleph, girls wear tights, not leggings.

Personally, I tried leggings years ago and found them super uncomfortable, so I stick with my tights. That, and I try to dress chassidish, which does seem to preclude leggings. But that's literally just me personally trying to look a certain way, and I'm not going to judge anyone else for what they wear on their legs. I say, kol hakavod that people who wear leggings are covering their legs.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:51 am
This is a sore topic for me.. My daughter is very sensory and can't stand tights so I would put her in leggings and socks under her skirt /dresses. The school used to send home uniform violation notices and once even called me to come pick her up. She was all of 3 years old! And I happen to think not wearing pants under a skirt at that age is more not tsnius because you see their underwear whenever they climb or sit on the floor, etc .
I was at a Torah Umesorah Chinuch Melava Malka (As a teacher) and one of the speakers for q&a was Rav Dovid Feinstein. One of the preschool teachers (who happened to have been my daughters teacher ) asked him what he thinks of sending 3-4 year old kids home for tznius/ dress code violations and he got so upset it took him a minute to answer. He then answered something along the lines of its assur, you are going to make the kids hate tsnius and they are not even age where they are required to keep tsnius halachically, much less "community norms ". Unfortunately, they still enforce these rules and didn't actually listen to that advice but at least I was reassured that gedolim are not encouraging all of these rules. And yes , we changed schools after that year.

4Sisters

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:13 am
nchr wrote:
OOT (not Israel) Not allowed to wear leggings outside of school or just in school? Because OOT generally does not dictate out ot school standards.

Yes, you're correct--that takanon of that US OOT school was only no leggings for within school (and I did get a call from the menahel when my dd wore leggings once when there was several feet of snow on the ground. He very nicely said that he understood leggings were warmer, but the rules of the school said 'no'....)

4Sisters

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:18 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
First, let's clarify. Where do you live? Aleph, Bet, or Gimmel? In Aleph, it's perfectly accepted by most parents and schools. The girls' skirts are not above the knee.

As for for their "level" how does someone's leg covering have anything to do with how many mitzvot they do, how much davening, how much of their allowance they put in tzedakah, and how careful they are with loshon hara? How much to they help around the house? How kind are they to their brothers and sisters?

I know more than a few BY girls who could take middos lessons from leggings wearing MO girls. (And a few Imamother posters, as well.)

You will probably never want to meet me in person. I wear leggings under my skirts in the winter, to keep my legs from getting cold. I wouldn't want you to think I was on such a lower level than you are. Rolling Eyes

I'm truly sorry that you felt attacked by what I wrote. That was not my intention at all! I was merely pointing out that if you see a girl in leggings in our city, then you know that she is not a student at a BY. It was not intended as a comment on their/yours/my level of mitzvot, etc!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:25 am
Am I the only one who feels it is "icky" for a male administrator to be the one enforcing a rule about leggings?

singleagain

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:26 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Am I the only one who feels it is "icky" for a male administrator to be the one enforcing a rule about leggings?

No. I agree. I also don't think male anyone should enforce any female dress code rules. And vice versa

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 1:13 pm
4Sisters wrote:
Yes, you're correct--that takanon of that US OOT school was only no leggings for within school (and I did get a call from the menahel when my dd wore leggings once when there was several feet of snow on the ground. He very nicely said that he understood leggings were warmer, but the rules of the school said 'no'....)

How did he see the leggings?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 3:09 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
How did he see the leggings?

He probably saw it when he was measuring the inches of her skirt. Confused

DD was always very sensory. She couldn't stand the feeling of nylon on her feet, and said that it made them feel sweaty.

I would "cheat" by cutting out the toes of her tights, and letting her wear them like leggings, with cotton socks. Nobody ever complained about a dress code violation.

Dandelion1

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 5:21 pm
Leggings are thick and warm, and if worn with a long skirt and boots or socks, SHOULD be completely beneath the radar of anyone who isn't checking out your gatkes.

Worn with a shorter skirt, and no socks or boots, leggings are a style of dress because you can certainly see that these "footless tights" are being worn.

These are two seperate things. The first should be nobody's business. I was upset as a parent that the school made a fuss over this! They are basically nicely fitting long johns!

The second is a more modern style that shows skin, and as such, will be considered unacceptable to those who require the entire lower leg to be covered. This part is not hard to understand.

I think people are mostly reacting to making them all bad, and assur, when if worn covered up, they are practically undetectible.

(Disclaimer: I think they look cute, and would totally wear them if I didn't have such chubby ankles.)

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 6:05 pm
Ok, everyone is taking this way too personally.
I am yeshivish myself and by no means do I look down at those who wear leggings with a short skirt. Nobody is trying to attack those who dress that way.
Op asked about her daughter in Lakewood, and so many responded based on what is acceptable there.
Yes, a large part of Lakewood does have different standards than many other places, and those standards should be respected and upheld. Is it a halacha? Something you must do? NO!
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children