Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
This is what happened in Sahara Sams
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:53 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
He knew how to swim. Fact. So everybody stop with that... CCTV showed him ok and playing in water and then a sec later he just drops under the water like a rag doll.

read the post again. I didnt say he didnt know how to swim. And can I see that video?

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:33 pm
PLEASE ladies, we are starting the 9 Days now. For the sake of family members, close friends, and even possibly the mother of the Niftar, please let's not discuss the particulars. A tragedy is a tragedy.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:43 pm

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:57 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
What makes you think that your version of the story is correct?

I've read multiple versions (including one from misaskim which is more likely to be the real one since they were there on the scene right away) and none sound anything like this.

Please don't spread false rumors.

I doubt missakim was on the scene right away. It's not exactly a frum area. Not to mention that the kid was taken to the hospital first. All misakim would know is that a kid drowned

nchr

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:46 am
Just for knowledge and in case it helps anyone, im pointing out a discrepency in the post.

When someone is ch'v eally drowning, they generally don't kick, splash, scream or flail. Drowning is silent. Most drowning victims cannot yell for help and may stroke their arms toward the surface in a non hysterical motion because the body tried to conserve energy and save oxygen . In children, it can look like the dog paddle and go unnoticed. It is instinctive. Kids make noises in pools and if there is silence, you should check it out asap.

Be safe.

Last edited by nchr on Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

nchr

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:53 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
He knew how to swim. Fact. So everybody stop with that... CCTV showed him ok and playing in water and then a sec later he just drops under the water like a rag doll.

That actually sounds like drowning amd people can chv drown even if they know how to swim. Children drowning looks like playing in water or doing a dog paddle, it's not violent. Its silent. Even with adults its calm but doesnt look like a dog paddle more like a backstroke. A main difference between drowning and swimming is that with swimming a person will go right and left but with drowning not. And it takes an adult 20 to 60 seconds to down, less with a kid. Again, I'm not commenting on this event because I know idea what happened, just educating people for the future.

Watch "What Does a Real Drowning Victim Look Like?" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/ErtQKtTTGxs

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:35 am
The reason why the camp was negligent is because they had one counselor in charge of 27 boys and had a buddy system for the bus. They relied on lifeguards to protect the children. That’s wrong camps need to hire more staff for trips so that they are safe. Camps should not get away with so little adults.

Even if boy didn’t drown he could have wondered across the street and no one would have noticed there should have been a counselor In Charge of this boy.

happyone

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 5:18 am
Enough of this! please lock this thread. no one KNOWS what happened and frankly what difference does it make? May the family find nechama.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 7:11 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
The reason why the camp was negligent is because they had one counselor in charge of 27 boys and had a buddy system for the bus. They relied on lifeguards to protect the children. That’s wrong camps need to hire more staff for trips so that they are safe. Camps should not get away with so little adults.

Even if boy didn’t drown he could have wondered across the street and no one would have noticed there should have been a counselor In Charge of this boy.

There is no point in blaming the camp.

I would expect a normal 9 year old not to wonder out of the park. I have a 9 year old and they are some what reliable. You can’t have a personal counselor for every child - it wouldn’t be developmentally correct anyways.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 7:17 am
nchr wrote:
Just for knowledge and in case it helps anyone, im pointing out a discrepency in the post.

When someone is ch'v eally drowning, they generally don't kick, splash, scream or flail. Drowning is silent. Most drowning victims cannot yell for help and may stroke their arms toward the surface in a non hysterical motion because the body tried to conserve energy and save oxygen . In children, it can look like the dog paddle and go unnoticed. It is instinctive. Kids make noises in pools and if there is silence, you should check it out asap.

Be safe.

This!!! Please know this! Drowning victims usually (almost always) don't splash or flail.

If the lifeguard didn't know that than he had no business ever being certified as a lifeguard

southernbubby

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 7:24 am
Regardless of what did or didn't happen, when we send kids anywhere, we should sit down with them and prepare them for possible dangerous situations and come up with a plan on how to deal with it. We can tell them never to enter the pool area when there is no adult watching and to notify an adult if they see a friend attempting mischief by sneaking into the pool. If a child loses money or an object, he should notify the adult in charge and not try to retrieve it on his own.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 8:30 am
For all those saying there was just one counselor per bunk, they officially have 2 counselors per bunk and they did bring extra adults. 2 of my brothers n law went along to lend an extra hand.
But we must stop speculating and blaming, it won't do anyone any good.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 8:56 am
Enough! Stop the blame.... just daven for your kids future. Don't add hurt. Its time to lock this chat..... ppl stop...don't be soooo mean!
Watch your words and Hashem will watch you

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 9:09 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
There is no point in blaming the camp.

I would expect a normal 9 year old not to wonder out of the park. I have a 9 year old and they are some what reliable. You can’t have a personal counselor for every child - it wouldn’t be developmentally correct anyways.

I didn’t say a personal counselor I said that every eight boys should have a counselor that is in charge of eight boys. It’s not normal to take kids on a trip and to leave them roaming alone and to only count the kids once you are on a bus. Camps need to be responsible.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 9:11 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
For all those saying there was just one counselor per bunk, they officially have 2 counselors per bunk and they did bring extra adults. 2 of my brothers n law went along to lend an extra hand.
But we must stop speculating and blaming, it won't do anyone any good.

A bunk was 27 kids. Did your brother in law really go and did he have kids responsible r was he just responsible at the end of the day. From who I spoke to there wasn’t any counselor now it’s easy just to say there was.

What happened is horrible but camps need to become responsible for the future. We have to learn a lesson from here how to be safer.

Parents should demand that their camps are safe and not protect a Camp. Kids safety should be first not saving money on staff.

nchr

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 9:12 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
This!!! Please know this! Drowning victims usually (almost always) don't splash or flail.

If the lifeguard didn't know that than he had no business ever being certified as a lifeguard

I'm pretty confident that the Sahara Sams lifeguards knew this - and they have probably rescued other children. I brought up what I did to teach people here about what real drowning looks like so they are more knowledgeable in the pool IYH.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics