Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What cleaning supplies to deep clean the following

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 12:50 am
Moving iyh to a house that can use a good thorough cleaning especially the oven, fridge, and bathtubs.
What should I buy for the oven besides easy off and steel wool?
The fridge freezer I’ll use fantastic and a Shmatta
The bathrooms I’m lost. They are really really gross. Looks like he never cleaned them properly. Shower and bathtub is dark brown, not mold just so so dirty. What can get it clean?
Tiles in the foyer and kitchen also are filthy. What’s the best scrubber and mop?

SingALong

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 1:03 am
Fridge I’d use Windex, especially on glass shelves

Bathrooms and kitchen tiles I’d use tilex or scrubbing bubbles or soft scrub with bleach. Let bleach sit for a half hour on the grout then brush away the grime. I’d also let the cleaner with bleach sit in the bathtub/sink/toilet for awhile before scrubbing.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 6:30 am
Bathroom - bleach, bleach, and more bleach. Bleach the walls too, in case there's mold. Just use a spray bottle, and don't bother rinsing it off. Open all the windows to air out.

Barkeeper's Friend is great for scrubbing tubs, sinks, and counter tops. It has grit, but doesn't scratch at all.

thanks

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 7:33 am
Is there hard water where you live? If so, it leaves lots of grit and residue in the bathroom. Use vinegar or a lime cleaner for that.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 7:40 am
Barkeeper's Friend with a Scotch Brite pad for the shower and tub. I prefer the soft cleanser because I hate the grit, but use the one you like. You can use it all the time for the porcelain tub and shower.

You can use it on the tile floors and for the grout for this one time to take off all the junk. Buy a scrub brush on a stick so you don't have to bend down.
https://www.amazon.com/MEIBEI-.....r=8-3
They're cheaper locally.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 8:06 am
It might be worth it to invest in a commercial cleaning crew before you move in. It’s such a stress unpacking etc. Will be so nice to have a fresh house to start.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 8:41 am
ra_mom wrote:
Barkeeper's Friend with a Scotch Brite pad for the shower and tub. I prefer the soft cleanser because I hate the grit, but use the one you like. You can use it all the time for the porcelain tub and shower.

You can use it on the tile floors and for the grout for this one time to take off all the junk. Buy a scrub brush on a stick so you don't have to bend down.
They're cheaper locally.

Thanks so much for the recommendations! Is the the barkeepers powder or liquid for the grout and tile?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 8:44 am
SingALong wrote:
Fridge I’d use Windex, especially on glass shelves

Bathrooms and kitchen tiles I’d use tilex or scrubbing bubbles or soft scrub with bleach. Let bleach sit for a half hour on the grout then brush away the grime. I’d also let the cleaner with bleach sit in the bathtub/sink/toilet for awhile before scrubbing.

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 8:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Bathroom - bleach, bleach, and more bleach. Bleach the walls too, in case there's mold. Just use a spray bottle, and don't bother rinsing it off. Open all the windows to air out.

Barkeeper's Friend is great for scrubbing tubs, sinks, and counter tops. It has grit, but doesn't scratch at all.

Thank you! I’m nervous to use bleach as I recently has a bad experience where somehow it got on my carpet!

West End Tova

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 9:02 am
ra_mom wrote:

They're cheaper locally.

Plus Lysol to disinfect.

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 9:32 am
I would hire professionals for the tile and grout to get it to the stage where it. can be cleaned.

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 9:43 am
West End Tova wrote:
Good idea. You can also have tile re-grouted.

https://www.thespruce.com/how-.....22629

Yes a professional company can evaluate and let OP know whether grout needs to be regrouted to get to a state where it can be cleaned by normal means used by non-professionals. In my experience, once tile and grout are beyond a certain point, it is almost impossible to get them "clean" again.

Many homeowners use professionals periodically because grout - especially older grout is difficult to maintain even with good maintenance which is why a lot of people hate grout lines. Newer grout can be used which is more stain resistant and also n a color that isn't as much of a contrast with the tile versus white grout.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry