Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do I need a backsplash if putting in granite?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:46 pm
I got a quote to put in new granite countertops. I just realized that the quote was without a backsplash. But all the granite countertops ive seen have backsplashes. My walls above counter are painted. Any reason to put in the backsplashes? And anyone know about how much more they charge for that? Tia

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:58 pm
Yes you should put a backsplash

tweety1

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:00 pm
You should put a backsplash. But it can be tiles. A granite/quartz backsplash is pricey. Tiles are much cheaper.
Eta: we very recently redid our kitchen and put in quartz counters and backsplash. I personally don't like tiles as a backsplash. I like when everything has sort of a flow. There's the floor one color, cabinets another, if you have you have bottom cabinets different color that makes it another color, counters another color, then tiles another color?? Even if they all blend nicely together for me it's too busy. I made my entire kitchen top and bottom the same, and counters and backsplash the same. It's gorgeous!

Last edited by tweety1 on Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:02 pm
Just an FYI, if it is painted and matches, you can take your time putting in a backsplash.
I took almost a decade until I found what I love, but I love it!

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:04 pm
I have an older kitchen (15 years old) and have a matching backsplash to the counters. I don’t think that’s what people are using. The style is a tiled backsplash these days.

boat

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:10 pm
I don't have a backsplash right now. Although it gives a more finished look, it's not crucial to put in immediately if funds are tight.

pinkpeonies

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:12 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I have an older kitchen (15 years old) and have a matching backsplash to the counters. I don’t think that’s what people are using. The style is a tiled backsplash these days.

Actually the style is to continue the quartz or granite to the wall seamlessly, but people do tiles

cbg

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:13 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

True, but it’s a classic look

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:20 pm
I just did my kitchen and put tiles above the granite as a backsplash. I have a range in the corner so the painted wall would have got dirty from my cooking if I didn’t do a backsplash.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:34 pm
We did our kitchen about 5 years ago, and we have granite counter tops with tile backsplash.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:41 pm
If any of above posters are in Brooklyn and were happy with your contractors who installed the counters, can you please share the information. We are desperate. TIA

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:52 pm
The more modern look is to have tiles that complement the backsplash. Depending on the tiles this can be less expensive than a granite backsplash. In my opinion, it’s a nicer look. I just finished a remodel and my granite is Black Galaxy and I have lovely hand fired ceramic tiles in a luminescent dark teal with copper accent tiles. Black Galaxy granite has copper flecks so the copper tiles pick up the copper bling.

You can also opt for a six inch splash guard in the same material as the counter and paint above the splash guard. This provides the protection of not having unprotected wall where the counter meets the wall. It is considered to be a less elegant dated look. Whatever you do, don’t put tile above the six inch backsplash.

In my opinion, the slab granite backsplash is a bit heavy for my tastes. I only like it when the counter is marble but even then I prefer complementing marble tiles. I have seen some gorgeous herringbone marble tiles used as a backsplash.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Oct 28 2019, 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total

etky

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 1:46 am
Do they do glass sheet backsplashes in the States at all?
Here (Israel) it is been very popular over the past decade although it has its drawbacks IMO.
My favorite look is tile. I much prefer it to using the same granite (or quartz) as the countertop.
Granite/quartz backplashes are popular here too, but then again so is tile. The granite/quartz option is much more expensive of course.
Truth is that nowadays people are opting for other materials over granite and quartz. Granite porcelain (a different, stronger grade than the floor tiles) is gaining popularity here as a countertop material and some people choose to continue with it as a backsplash. The look is similar to granite. Cost is the same I think, or maybe a bit more.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:27 am
etky wrote:
Do they do glass sheet backsplashes in the States at all?
Here (Israel) it is been very popular over the past decade although it has its drawbacks IMO.
My favorite look is tile. I much prefer it to using the same granite (or quartz) as the countertop.
Granite/quartz backplashes are popular here too, but then again so is tile. The granite/quartz option is much more expensive of course.
Truth is that nowadays people are opting for other materials over granite and quartz. Granite porcelain (a different, stronger grade than the floor tiles) is gaining popularity here as a countertop material and some people choose to continue with it as a backsplash. The look is similar to granite. Cost is the same I think, or maybe a bit more.

I have acid washed mirrors as my back splashes. They are stunning. It opens up the kitchen without being obvious. Acid washed mirror is more forgiving than regular mirror if you splash on it. I love them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen