Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What can we do to prevent superbugs?
1  2  Next

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 9:47 am
It's all over the news, and the CDC agrees, that antibiotics have created dangerous and resistant forms of bacteria. Our zealous destruction of germs, both in humans and in animals has resulted in 35,000 deaths a year from incurable infections.
I am not a lover of alternative medicine because it's often unproven, not scientifically sound, not licensed, and not covered by insurance but I am willing to be open minded to things that really work. Dgd, has a splinter deep in her foot and I want to try drawing salve, clay or something non antibiotic but maybe triple antibiotic ointment is the answer.
So what is everyone doing today about these pesky ear infections that end up being an entire childhood on antibiotics?

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 9:50 am
Most ear infections do not require antibiotics.
https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.....tics/
https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic......html

One of the ways to avoid ear infections, as per the CDC (link above), is to breastfeed exclusively for at least 6 months, and continue for at least 12 months.

Most splinters come out from a soak in the bathtub in my experience. The body tries to expel them.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 10:30 am
Don't use antibacterial soap. Regular is fine.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 10:33 am
There are a lot of infections that are often treated with antibiotics instead of being monitored for a while to see if it's getting better or worse, because antibiotics are cheaper than the doctor's time.

paperflowers

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 10:46 am
For starters, to stop giving antibiotics for viral infections.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 11:04 am
Manuka honey has been studied and proven to be effective against Mrsa and it does not cause bacteria to mutate resulting in antibiotic resistance.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 11:07 am
anonymrs wrote:
Manuka honey has been studied and proven to be effective against Mrsa and it does not cause bacteria to mutate resulting in antibiotic resistance.

Someone gave my DD black honey and she successfully cleared up a very sore throat with it. Maybe it is a similar type of honey.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 11:54 am
I've never heard of black honey but we have bh used manuka honey successfully when antibiotics was no longer working.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:08 pm
Don't use antibacterial anything in the house. Soap kills as many germs without the added antibiotics that make our bodies immune. (Except in C"V a case of a super bug like MRSA then there is room for it.)
Take vitamins daily to keep immune system strong.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Don't use antibacterial anything in the house. Soap kills as many germs without the added antibiotics that make our bodies immune. (Except in C"V a case of a super bug like MRSA then there is a need for it.)
Take vitamins daily to keep immune system strong.

I got something called Maxibiotics and another one called elderberry but these are herbs. What vitamins are you referring to?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:15 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I got something called Maxibiotics and another one called elderberry but these are herbs. What vitamins are you referring to?

Maxibiotics is mainly garlic which kills everything, supposedly. And elderberry is an immune booster. So I imagine those would be helpful. But I'm sure eliminating sugar and processed foods from the diet would only help as well.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:15 pm
southernbubby wrote:

Vitamin C with panthenic acid which helps the body absorb the C. And a good multi (prenatal is better quality, even the young ones take it here).

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:32 pm
southernbubby wrote:
maxibiotics also has echinacea. Don’t use echinacea long term

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:34 pm
Vitamins don't treat anything besides vitamin deficiency, but vitamin deficiency weakens the immune system.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:39 pm
99% of my house cleaner is hot water, baking soda, and vinegar. The only thing I use a harsh chemical on is the hard water deposits in my toilet.

I use regular soap instead of antibiotic. My doctor is really reluctant to give antibiotics. He insists on doing swabs first, and if it's a sinus infection he'd sooner send me to get an MRI before he'd just hand over a bunch of pills. I think most new doctors are becoming more aware and reluctant to prescribe on a whim. Some parents and adult patients still get really nasty and insist on it, but a good doctor will stand firm.

My great grandmother said that if you eat a teaspoon of dirt every day, you'll never get polio. Of course, she grew up on a farm that was miles from her neighbor, so it's not like she was in a crowded city during the outbreaks. I also think there were a lot more beneficial microbes in the soil in those days, when everything was organic and crops were rotated every year. She lived to be 98, and was healthy as a horse most of the time, so maybe it works?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:22 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
maxibiotics also has echinacea. Don’t use echinacea long term

It is good that you are telling me that because the bottle has a dose for infection and another for long term use!

Gulabi

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:48 pm
Southernbubby a paste of baking soda is quite good for drawing splinters out, spread the paste and cover with a bandage for a day.
Antibiotic "alternatives" are cloves, garlic, cinnamon and turmeric turmeric turmeric.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:27 pm
Gulabi wrote:
Southernbubby a paste of baking soda is quite good for drawing splinters out, spread the paste and cover with a bandage for a day.
Antibiotic "alternatives" are cloves, garlic, cinnamon and turmeric turmeric turmeric.
always use alternative supplements with caution- especially if you’re on any medication. Many of them are contraindicated.
My friend was just telling me about a tea to help boost milk supply that interacted with her thyroid meds and ended up messing up her milk supply. And I know of another drug that interacts with echinacea, turmeric eucalyptus, peppermint and grapefruit (which is a pretty common one)

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:38 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
always use alternative supplements with caution- especially if you’re on any medication. Many of them are contraindicated.
My friend was just telling me about a tea to help boost milk supply that interacted with her thyroid meds and ended up messing up her milk supply. And I know of another drug that interacts with echinacea, turmeric eucalyptus, peppermint and grapefruit (which is a pretty common one)

Does turmeric interact with thyroid medication?

Gulabi

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:39 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

I don't take turmeric as a supplement its part of my daily diet and always has been. It comes direct from our family farm in India so it isn't adulterated in any way. The active ingredient curcumin is so beneficial. Obviously if people are taking supplements and teas thy know little about then yes its important to do your homework. The only supplement I take is a multi vitamin
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics