Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Is a doona worth it
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 8:04 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Yeshivish and Chassidish, according to what I've heard...

Wow
Chassidish I believe bec I’ve heard that it’s standard for mil to buy the carriage etc
But a doona is a car seat!!! Not a stroller

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 8:30 pm
The main thing I find ridiculous is that the Doona has become "the standard" for the mother of the boy to buy the new parents upon the birth of their first child/grandchild.

Yes - my sister in law who doesn’t have too pennies - bought it for her daughter. It hurt me so much because 9 months later her daughter had to buy a cheap carriage on her own and was done with the doona.
(And the same sister in law had a baby soon after her daughter and was fine with her old car seat and snap n go and 10 other kids in the car. My niece didn’t ask for it. My sister in law got it because everyone needs it).
I wish stores world stop pushing the most expensive options as if we were all rich royalty.

mig100

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:27 pm
clowny wrote:
Same here. My babies are all way more comfortable in a car seat position. It’s best for their stomach. My vdoc says it perfectly ok.

Mine also

tichellady

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:31 pm
The main thing I find ridiculous is that the Doona has become "the standard" for the mother of the boy to buy the new parents upon the birth of their first child/grandchild.

That’s a whole other issue of entitlement and people having kids before they are making a living

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 4:04 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Yes - my sister in law who doesn’t have too pennies - bought it for her daughter. It hurt me so much because 9 months later her daughter had to buy a cheap carriage on her own and was done with the doona.
(And the same sister in law had a baby soon after her daughter and was fine with her old car seat and snap n go and 10 other kids in the car. My niece didn’t ask for it. My sister in law got it because everyone needs it).
I wish stores world stop pushing the most expensive options as if we were all rich royalty.

I’m laughing because before the doona the mother’s were ‘all’ buying carriages that costed much more. So even though it’s not as good of a value it actually gave a cheaper option for mil and moms to buy .

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 4:19 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I’m laughing because before the doona the mother’s were ‘all’ buying carriages that costed much more. So even though it’s not as good of a value it actually gave a cheaper option for mil and moms to buy .

Oh, wow, really, moms have to follow legislation as to what to buy their kids?

I have news for you, there's a cheaper option out there than the doona, or the carriage that came before that - I don't buy my kids carriages.

See, cheap and easy.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 4:22 am
tweety1 wrote:
I find this thread extremely interesting. Nobody said "it's ok". Ppl either love it or hate it. And the opinions are so 50/50. Op, whatever you choose good luck and hope you're happy.

Ahem, yes I did.
I thought I was pretty clear about that when I said its mediocre (I'm like the first or second reply).
Because it IS mediocre. (Soooooooooooo...... I guess it gets bumped down a couple points because it's way too expensive for how meh it is, BTW.)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:04 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Oh, wow, really, moms have to follow legislation as to what to buy their kids?

I have news for you, there's a cheaper option out there than the doona, or the carriage that came before that - I don't buy my kids carriages.

See, cheap and easy.

Good for you. No need to be snotty. I was just giving social commentary in response to someone else’s discussion of trends.

Signed- buy my own strollers ty very much.

watergirl

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:07 am

I would be interested to know what these kids do once their baby is too big for the doona. They will need another stroller. Who will buy it then, and what will they buy? Is it first buy the doona and THEN the buggabo?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:14 am
Go to a stroller store and check out what you are looking into buying.
This gives real input into what it will be like for you to use it/fold it/shlep it.
And its smart to ask input as you have from people who have used it over time.

hugs and hatzlocha

cnc

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:16 am

Whoever I know that purchased a Doona, it was IN ADDITION to a Bugaboo, Silver Cross, Mima and so on....not INSTEAD OF!

I don't know anyone that uses the Doona as their primary or only carriage...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:31 am
watergirl wrote:
I would be interested to know what these kids do once their baby is too big for the doona. They will need another stroller. Who will buy it then, and what will they buy? Is it first buy the doona and THEN the buggabo?

So the ppl who can afford it and want to get that AND the bugaboo. But I see my friends who can’t, buy the doona and feel ‘up to date’ and then buy a simpler carriage, either second hand or just a stroller no bassinet.

Not that I think any of it makes sense- refrence my post above. I hated the doona and I think it’s awful ppl use in instead of a stroller.

tweety1

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:37 am
cnc wrote:
Whoever I know that purchased a Doona, it was IN ADDITION to a Bugaboo, Silver Cross, Mima and so on....not INSTEAD OF!

I don't know anyone that uses the Doona as their primary or only carriage...

True. But ya know what? I have a big stroller a bugaboo, using it bh for third time. Now I splurged on the doona. We have lots of family not close by, travel a lot to them, and the convenience of the doona just made sense. I didn't get cuz that's the style, I didn't get cuz "my neighbor has it", I got it cuz I was tired of shlepping a car seat plus a traveling stroller, besides I absolutely hate hate my traveling stroller, so this is an "all in one".

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:52 am
cnc, take a stroll in Williamsburg and you'd be shocked to see how many people use a doona as their regular stroller! It doesn't even make sense, all the stores are walking distance. The pediatricians are so against it.
My sister in law was so desperate to get a doona, she couldn't afford it. She asked my sister if she wants to split the cost with her so they can share it!!! For the sake of being in style. It's ridiculous.

cnc

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:53 am
tweety1 wrote:
True. But ya know what? I have a big stroller a bugaboo, using it bh for third time. Now I splurged on the doona. We have lots of family not close by, travel a lot to them, and the convenience of the doona just made sense. I didn't get cuz that's the style, I didn't get cuz "my neighbor has it", I got it cuz I was tired of shlepping a car seat plus a traveling stroller, besides I absolutely hate hate my traveling stroller, so this is an "all in one".

Gezinterheit. It's your money and you're more than entitled to spend it the way you want. Chances are, if I would have a baby now, I would also get a Doona. I was responding to a specific comment. I think it's insanse how now both an expensive carriage (1300+) and the Doona have become the standard gifts for all the young (kollel) couples in my community...

cnc

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:54 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
cnc, take a stroll in Williamsburg and you'd be shocked to see how many people use a doona as their regular stroller! It doesn't even make sense, all the stores are walking distance. The pediatricians are so against it.
My sister in law was so desperate to get a doona, she couldn't afford it. She asked me sister if she wants to split the cost with her so they can share it!!! For the sake of being in style. It's ridiculous.

That is bizarre.
She doesn't have a regulars stroller as well?
What is she going to do when her baby outgrows the Doona?

watergirl

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:59 am
Can someone tell me what is wrong with the good old snap n' go? Its tiny, super light, and you can get one for $15 all the time - people are always selling them. And then you take your sleeping baby in the car seat and just snap it right in and go! If you ride in a car, you have the car seat already.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:59 am
cnc, my mom got her a bugaboo. But apparently for these young shnooks a doona is a must. Especially if you live in Williamsburg and have no car! It's mamish a busha not to be pushing a doona.
The funniest part is that a Williamsburg woman wouldn't he caught dead pushing a snap n go. All of a sudden it's not embarrassing to be pushing a car seat. Ridiculous isn't the word.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 6:04 am
cnc wrote:
Gezinterheit. It's your money and you're more than entitled to spend it the way you want. Chances are, if I would have a baby now, I would also get a Doona. I was responding to a specific comment. I think it's insanse how now both an expensive carriage (1300+) and the Doona have become the standard gifts for all the young (kollel) couples in my community...

1300$+? How many ppl do you know have the solvercross or mima?

The bugaboo fox is very popular and is under 1000. So is the uppababy vista (around 600) Not cheap but don’t exaggerate. Ppl are also getting the cameleon for cheaper because the fox came out.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 6:04 am
watergirl wrote:
Can someone tell me what is wrong with the good old snap n' go? Its tiny, super light, and you can get one for $15 all the time - people are always selling them. And then you take your sleeping baby in the car seat and just snap it right in and go! If you ride in a car, you have the car seat already.

Everyone has to conduct their own cost-benefit analysis. For us, the regular snap n go is better because:

We still have the frame, so all we need is a new car seat. That's at least $350 in savings.

We want the storage basket.

I like the option of bringing the car seat all the way upstairs with a newborn, which I wouldn't do with the Doona because of its wheels - which are dirty from being rolled outside.

Doona was very heavy, and I have bigger babies. I would need to carry it up and down my front steps each day... ouch.

No front parent console (unless you pay another $80).

So we chose the Graco and snap n go.

But for other people who don't have my concerns I can see how the Doona would be convenient!
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics