Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
NAUSEOUS!!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 2:33 pm
I am BH expecting and work full time (PLEAAASE no debates about that). I am not about 6 weeks along or so...I feel so nauseous, I can hardly concetrate on working. I did not have that with my first. What can I do to manage nausea???? Puke

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 9:02 pm
I also had worse nausea with my 2nd than with my 1st (maybe bc #2 is a girl?)...dunno.

Anyways, my nausea was the worst if I didn't eat something really early in the morning. IE. normally I wouldn't eat until 7-7:30a...so I'd have to go and eat something at 6a even though I just wanted to stay in bed, and eat something little every couple hours. If I missed that first "meal", I'd be sick all morning no matter how much/little or often I ate afterwards.

My friend had horrid nausea and said the smell of lemon...she used a real lemon, helped her a lot. I don't know if there's a way for you to discretely have something to sniff...like in a kerchief or something.

There are things called preggie pops/drops to suck on. In the past I think they were kosher, and could be found at motherhood. I personally never used them but I know of others who did and it helped.

Hatzlochah! You should feel good and have a healthy baby b'shaah tova!

gigi

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 9:55 pm
chew on candied ginger, or drink ginger tea.
it's an old seaman's cure for seasickness.
it works.
(at least while the ginger is in your mouth)

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 9:33 am
I remember the feeling...
oh my gosh
horrible
um I have no advice
just GOOD LUCK
I know its hard

amother

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 9:38 am
Thank you for your replies...It's interesting that you say that NJMommy, because I notice a cycle where I am too sick to eat anything but I get even more sick from being hungry. I had to force myself to eat dinner last night, but felt really sick afterwards. BH for being pregnant right?

One thing my dh actually advised me to do (and it helped!) was to drink some pickle juice. It might sound gross but feels very refreshing.

momluv

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 10:09 am
anything salty is good to suppress nausea and lemon works for some people. my sil used lemon and it worked for her so try it. salty works for me and some other people I know. try that too. can't hurt! Very Happy

amother

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 10:22 am
Make sure you're getting all the Vitamin B6 you need.

Eat something every 1-1.5 hours to keep the nausea away. Eat early in the morning and very late at night- right before bed. It will help you the next morning not to wake up already sick.

Eat whatever you feel like eating. Fresh fruits and vegetables are much more appetizing that real cooked meals.

I find a lot of what makes me nauseous is not the food itself but the smell of food. I can't eat anything I cook so I have to buy tons of frozen ready made foods, restaurant take-out, etc.

Petra

Post Fri, Nov 30 2007, 3:17 pm
Also, try the accupressure bands (for sea-sickness) that you can buy in the pharmacy dept of most stores. they help quite a bit. I wore them but I was kinda self-conscious of wearing "sweat bands" on my wrists all day.
Yael

ss321

Post Sat, Dec 01 2007, 9:51 pm
did you try drinking water? a colleague of mine actually suggested it (after guessing I was pg lol!), and it really helped. I lugged around a giant water bottle in my coat pocket everywhere I went. I really really know how you feel, I was at work (and on my feet) at 5-530 AM, felt the nausea, but never rly had to actually throw up, started at around 5-6 wks too. I also kept an endless supply of mint, cinammon, and lemon-flavored sucking candies in my pocket which helped when the water wasnt doing enough. good luck and b'shah tovah
and btw I commend your decision to work! if it helps! I know alot of ppl get flack for it on this site sometimes, but if u love what ur doing, and are committed to it, I truly believe that it helps you in being a better wife and mom. bhatzlacha!

amother

Post Sat, Dec 01 2007, 11:23 pm
FOR THE POSTER WHO RECOMMENDED VITAMIN B6, WHAT IS THE NORMAL DAILY DOSE?

THANK YOU[/img][/list][/list][/quote]

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 2:15 am
There is something called preggie pop drops, with a chof-k hechsher. They can be ordered online or in some baby or maternity stores. Also, last time, I got some relief drinking lemon flavored vitamin water.

spinkles

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 10:57 pm
It's so funny that I saw your post now, because I actually came on imamother for a few minutes to take a break from writing an article about severe morning sickness. LOL

Okay, so here's the deal. I had horrible nausea with all three of my kids. The last pregnancy, I was on Zofran, which took the edge off, but I was still pretty sick. It's expensive--about $40 a pill, and you take a pill twice a day, usually. A lot of people have been helped with Zofran. Check with your doc. (And also make sure your insurance will cover it, if your doc says it's a good idea to try.) There are other meds out there, but a lot of them cause drowsiness and other side effects that make dealing with children and a job difficult.

I'd recommend a book by Miriam Erick called Managing Morning Sickness: A Survival Guide for Pregnant Women. She's a dietician who teaches at Harvard and is *the* expert in NVP (nausea and vomiting of pregnancy). I'd also recommend Elizabeth Kaledin's The Morning Sickness Companion, which is chatty and fun. Chapters like "The Vomit Chronicles" will make you feel less alone, and maybe even make you laugh.

You can call the Motherisk hotline (look online, not sure of the number right now, but google them) for counseling about your particular situation, different meds you might try, etc..

You say pickle juice helped, so here are some other sour things from a list in Miriam Erick's book. See if they work:

lemonade
frozen orange wedges
fresh blueberries
cranberries (I personally found jellied cranberry sauce worked)
sour apples (lots of women like Granny Smiths sprinkled with kosher salt)
salsa
sauerkraut

Or maybe salty things will work for you, like:

noodles or mashed potatoes mixed with parmesan
fake bacon bits (I lived off of these, mixed into instant mashed potatoes made with water only, not butter, milk, etc.)
potato chips (many many women find them helpful)
pretzels
dill pickles

The foods that worked best for me, when I needed to break a cycle of nausea, were:

Sprite
sparkling apple juice
potato chips
parmesan eaten straight from the container with a spoon
mashed potatoes with fake bacon bits
rice krispies
cranberry sauce
frozen pineapple chunks
frozen cherries

It's often best to eat solids before trying to drink anything. Eat something (especially something salty) and then wait at least an hour, then try drinking.

Eating cold things helps. (Cold foods don't smell as strongly, and smell is a strong trigger for NVP.)

Try keeping a bottle of aromatherapy spray in your purse--mint or rosemary or whatever smells good to you. Lemons, like another poster said, are very good too. If you find yourself feeling horrible at work, you can go into the bathroom and hold the mister or the lemon to your nose until you feel better.

If you keep small containers of snacks in your desk, then you can nibble on some of the items I mentioned above throughout the day, to keep something in your stomach. It helps.

Also, noise, bright light, and motion are triggers for nausea. If your workplace is noisy, maybe headphones are an option? Or maybe there are other ways you can think of, that will make your environment less "busy" and nausea-inducing? Of course it depends a lot on what your job is.

Hatzlachah rabbah! And yes, this will pass!!

RedRuby

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 11:06 pm
Chana F -

Great post! Thumbs Up

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 6:35 am
I also found that potato chips helped me. What wasn't helpful was the comments I got from coworkers about how much fatty stuff I eat.

I also found yogurt helpful - the tartness staves off the nausea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics