Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tips for Rabbi versus teachers
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:53 am
Can someone clarify for me what we are discussing with "my son's driver".
Are we discussing a regular bus driver and why would it be different than the girl's bus driver?
This is a who new world to me. I am MO and don't send "tips". The PTA collects money for Chanukah gifts/misloach manot/end of year appreciation and splits it EQUALLY-men/Rebbeyim/women. And I send a personalized gift (I knit scarves to match the teachers coats for when they stand outside at recess).

amother
Black

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I definitely hear this point. So give me half. Or let’s talk about a quarter. But your equation doesn’t justify giving 10 for a teacher and hundred for rebbi. It just doesnt

Who says people are doing this? Between all the people I've ever asked no one gives rebbe'im $100 twice a year. Most give 25-50.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. I don’t take it personally. I know that this is the social norms. I personally see nothing wrong and embarrassing to give a rebbi $20. It’s all a bonus and should be appreciated like a mature adult.

And yes, when my son had a morah I gave her the same amount I give his rebbi. If I wouldn’t have the money I would give her less and the rebbi less.

Just curious, how much did you pay for the teacher? You gave $20 for the bus driver. I have a feeling less for the teacher. Why? So the driver Chas v’sholim shouldn’t be hurt? Do men have bigger egos?

Normally I give 20$ per teacher and 10$ for the driver. This year I happened to give 20$ because he is an amazing driver and has waited for me a few times, so I felt I should.

And Simple1, you are correct. High school teachers aren't tipped, or even given mishloach manos. That's life.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:47 pm
agreer wrote:
It's sad, but really, at the end of the day, it's the man's responsibility to provide for his family. So rebbeim get more tips than moros. That's it.

Tell that to the kollel husbands.

It is a simple fact of life that boys' Torah education is valued above girls'.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:46 pm
I tip male rebbes and teachers the same amount as female teachers, unless they teach fewer days or less time. I know this isn't the norm in my (chassidish) circles, but the disparity makes me mad every year, so I do the only thing I can and control my own actions.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 11:35 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I tip male rebbes and teachers the same amount as female teachers, unless they teach fewer days or less time. I know this isn't the norm in my (chassidish) circles, but the disparity makes me mad every year, so I do the only thing I can and control my own actions.

Good for you! If the disparity bothers you, this is what needs to be done to change it.
Everybody likes to complain about the inequality, but when push comes to shove, most are still continuing to practice it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics