Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What would you study?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 3:56 am
I am at a crossroads in my life. I am not young anymore and I have been employed and unemployed about the same amount my entire adult life.
I have a BA that I never continued with it to go further. I dont want to pursue that degree.

So, my question is, if you were at a later stage in your life (after kids are old enough to fend for themselves etc) what would you study? I have the time. Money, Ill have to take each idea and see what the costs are. Im not ruling anything out.

I really have no idea what I want to be when I grow up Wink but I know I have to study something because all of the odd jobs that I have done over the last 20 + years are just not cutting it.

So, what would you study in the second half of your life, to have a new/better career?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 3:59 am
id become an atc. its my current dream, which im never gonna pursue though.

good payment

good working conditions

interesting job with a lot of responsibility...

(sorry for my bad english)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 4:01 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
id become an atc. its my current dream, which im never gonna pursue though.

good payment

good working conditions

interesting job with a lot of responsibility...

(sorry for my bad english)
What is an ATC?

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 4:17 am
I studied nursing in my mid forties. A lot of women seem to go into it around that age, when their children are older and it becomes easier to deal with shift patterns. I wasn't the oldest in the class.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 4:53 am
air traffic control

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 4:57 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
air traffic control
Wow, that sounds amazing.
I have my own dreams that I also know I will never pursue. Enjoy the dreams Smile

busy mommy

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 5:38 am
FYI atc schooling does not accept anyone older than 31 and if I'm not mistaken you can not work (as an atc) past the age of 58
Usa

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:06 am
in the country I live you can apply for atc schooling at my age (im over 31) Smile

but I have a great job that I love and b´´H a bunch of oyung kids so I will not apply. still if I was younger and without an education I would definitley concider it. or if I was jobless now.

I read a lot about aviation, listen to vasaviation on youtube, enjoy the technological aspect, I speak 4 languages fluently and have a very clear pronunciation Smile

dh always jokes about my 'interest/hobby' and says he wouldnt be surprised if one day I would apply Very Happy

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 4:32 pm
What I want to study is not really helpful career wise. I would love to study sociology, literature and humanities.

But practically for a career? Dunno, still trying to figure it out myself.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 4:35 pm
My dream is to get my certification to be a doula , to be a life coach and to be a nurse. I would love to do all three! Not sure though if I’ll end up doing any.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 4:36 pm
What are your interests?
You need to pursue what you love, not what someone else enjoys

hodeez

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 4:55 pm
Like I say on all of these types of threads, programming is the way to go if you're capable

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 1:35 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
What are your interests?
You need to pursue what you love, not what someone else enjoys
Of course. This is just curiosity, thats all. To see what others would do in my shoes.

Einikel

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 1:40 am
thunderstorm wrote:
My dream is to get my certification to be a doula , to be a life coach and to be a nurse. I would love to do all three! Not sure though if I’ll end up doing any.

I think you would be great at all 3!

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:20 am
I am a librarian. It has very high job satisfaction and is a second career for almost everyone. It's a masters program that you can do with almost any bachelors.
I have no idea what the job opportunities are these days. I work at my kids school and love it, though I get paid peanuts.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:01 am
Einikel wrote:
I think you would be great at all 3!

I was gonna say the same
Go for it

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:09 am
I studied economy but it was dull and elitist. I let it be, and I studied English which I loved
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics