Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/O babysitter study POLL:
Previous  1  2

Do you work because:
I need to for financial reasons  
 86%  [ 186 ]
We can afford that I not work, but I want to/choose to work  
 13%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 214

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:15 am
Option 3-combination of 1 and 2. I work because I need the money, but I would probably choose to work even if I didn't need the money. I'm not cut out to be a sahm.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:08 pm
We don't absolutely need my income right now, but we will in the future, and it would be hard to find a job once I leave. So I consider that "for financial reasons"

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 4:29 pm
I don't work but don't enjoy being a stay at home mom so consider to get a job sometimes but haven't worked in many years

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 4:42 pm
I'm currently putting my husband through school so we need my income. I would love to be a SAHM and homeschool my kids somewhere down the line, though.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 4:50 pm
Currently a SAHM in order for my husband to be able to advance in his career.

He travels and has long hours, and I haven’t been able to keep a job with the flexibility I need to take care of kids and household without much external support. Somebody has to be there when kids are sick or have vacation or random snow days, and it can’t be my husband.

Delegating babysitting and carpools and cooking and cleaning feels overwhelming and expensive at this stage. So that’s my “job” for now. It’s not a career, but it keeps me busy.

saralem

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:29 pm
I’ve always worked because dh was either unemployed or underemployed. It was a must financially. But, as hard as it has been, there is still pleasure in feeling productive and successful. It was very painful when the kids were little. I yearned to be at home with them. Got easier as they got older.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
The babysitter study thread got me wondering about how many women work because they need to for financial reasons, or by choice.
(Please not negative comments. I'm just curious about this.)

I work very part time and keep my kids home until 2.5 -3 usually BH a toddler and baby home keeping me busy

instead of a stranger raising them I remember being horrified when a toddler cried for the nanny instead of the mother after seeing that as a single I was sure I’d live extremely frugally if needed to be home with my kids until they’re in school!

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:52 pm
I would be a sahm in a heartbeat if not for finances.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:34 pm
I think this poll and the comments in this thread do indicate that many many more people are sending their babies to babysitters for non-financial reasons than the other thread would have you believe. 13% so far and the true number may be higher.

And for the record I think anyone who is working to support their husband in kollel should belong in option 2 of the poll.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:36 pm
amother Puce wrote:
We don't absolutely need my income right now, but we will in the future, and it would be hard to find a job once I leave. So I consider that "for financial reasons"

Same

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:36 pm
I'm a morah in a small OOT community. Idk if the in towners are aware, but as much as there is a nationwide morah crisis, it's that much worse OOT. If I stepped down, there would literally be no other qualified person to take my place.

So yes, I do need the income and it's kind of a moot point. But I also feel like Hashem wants me to do what I do.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:42 pm
I didn’t vote because technically we can get by with just my husbands income but it would be very tight and stressful. I also don’t do well being a SAHM. My solution is working part time (12.5 hours a week) which gives us the extra cash for expenses that always crop up and a bit for savings for large purchases. I send my kids to daycare during my work hours which saves my sanity and provides me with the adult interactions I need.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:43 pm
I wish my only responsibilities were solely to take care of my kids. That would be a dream for me. But I work because we need the income. And it's not even that we need the income right now- technically I could cut my hours and take a part time job and make half the amount and we'd be ok currently. But- we're young. We have a few kids and they're little. We hope to have more and we understand our expenses are only going to skyrocket from here on out. Tuition alone, omg. Clothing, groceries, health insurance, surprise expenses, etc etc etc. So I am trying to do the smart thing and work full-time now while things are still somewhat manageable, to put away as much as I possibly can, so that as our expenses grow we have substantial savings to draw from, especially if one day it gets unmanageable and I need to drop hours or stop working entirely.

I just don't feel that at this stage of life it would be wise to go part-time. But ultimately it's my dream to be a SAHM. I would love for my husband's business to take off to the extent where we no longer need my income at all. Until that point, I'm going to contribute as much as I possibly can.

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:02 pm
I work from home so I can be with my babies.
I do not enjoy my job. I enjoyed working out of the house much more.
But I Love my babies even more!

ChalieB

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:18 am
We could get by without the second income, but it's important to us to have savings to be"h eventually buy a house.

Ideally, I wish I could work part-time, but I'd go crazy without any job at all. If I have another baby be"h, I'll take 6 months maternity leave and then go back to full-time.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:22 am
I work part time, 4 hours *4 days a week.
It's perfect for me, the money is just right and the social part of my job is good for me.
My only regret is going back to work when my baby was 4.5 months, I should've waited until 6 months at least.

synthy

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 11:59 am
Kinda both? I work because otherwise I’d go insane, I need the stimulation. Because of that, I am BH able to support our family and DH is in kollel.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics