Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/O babysitter study POLL:
1  2  Next

Do you work because:
I need to for financial reasons  
 86%  [ 186 ]
We can afford that I not work, but I want to/choose to work  
 13%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 214

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:49 am
The babysitter study thread got me wondering about how many women work because they need to for financial reasons, or by choice.
(Please not negative comments. I'm just curious about this.)

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:51 am
I need to work for financial reasons, but can't see myself being a SAHM either. If I didn't need the income, I would probably take a very part time job, like 3-4 hours a day

And definitely stay home with a newborn until 6 months

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:52 am
I didnt read that other thread
but dh is in kollel so yes I work for financial reasons.

my current stage right now I cannot imaigne being a sahm mother I would lose my mind. but I would love to work way less. like waayyy less.

I would also keep my babies home until a year ideally

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:54 am
I work for financial reasons but emotionally I do much better with the structure working brings me. If I had a major income change tomorrow Id cut my hours a lot but fully quitting I think would tank my mental state.

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:05 am
I HATE working.
I'm an intuitive, artistic soul. Being in the corporate world, even part time, stifles me and sucks all the life force out of me.
I would love to quit working completely, and spend a few hours a day on my creative pursuits, which could probably bring in some income.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:08 am
I choose to work, but I was home with my kids when they were babies and didn't work fullntime until my kids were all in school.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:15 am
amother OP wrote:
The babysitter study thread got me wondering about how many women work because they need to for financial reasons, or by choice.
(Please not negative comments. I'm just curious about this.)

Need an “Other” option. BH right now we don’t need the income. But my personality is not one that can stay at home all day. As much as I love my child more than I could ever explain, I don’t feel fulfilled staying at home all day with her.
I taught for 4 years before having her and desperately missing being in the classroom after she was born. I got a part time job when she was 5 months old and it’s working great for us. She’s at babysitting for a few hours a day and I can do what I’m passionate about for a few hours a day and then come home to my delicious baby and take care of her.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:18 am
A combination of both.

Right now I send him out only twice a week to a home daycare for a total of ten hours a week. I started at twelve weeks.

The rest I work from home.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:20 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Need an “Other” option. BH right now we don’t need the income. But my personality is not one that can stay at home all day. As much as I love my child more than I could ever explain, I don’t feel fulfilled staying at home all day with her.
I taught for 4 years before having her and desperately missing being in the classroom after she was born. I got a part time job when she was 5 months old and it’s working great for us. She’s at babysitting for a few hours a day and I can do what I’m passionate about for a few hours a day and then come home to my delicious baby and take care of her.

So this would be the 2nd option, no?
How do I add another option to a poll?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:24 am
amother OP wrote:
So this would be the 2nd option, no?
How do I add another option to a poll?

lol you’re right. I totally misread the options

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:29 am
Both. We do need my income, but I would still work even if we didn't. Tried being a sahm and it wasn't for me.

Rappel

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:35 am
We really scrimp so I can be a SAHM when my kids are babies. When I was working, we breathed easier. But it's still worth it to me

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:36 am
I could only afford to stay home if I homeschooled my kids, and that would be a really bad idea for us.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:37 am
I work because I have to. Would love to keep my kids home till age 4 at least.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:39 pm
I work part time to have the extras that I/ my kids want.
I could stay home and cut back.

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:40 pm
I am so much happier when I work. When I'm happier and my mental.healyb is better from working, my physia health is better too and my whole family benefits from happy/healthy mommy and wife.

Financially it is important as well, we are trying to save up to buy an apartment, which wouldn't be feasible.on one income.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:44 pm
We rely on my income, but I would work either way

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:44 pm
I work because I have to for financial reasons but I didn’t want to send my son out so young. For the first year after he was born I was able to work part time from home, and now I decided to do babysitting so I can work and still be with him. Next year once he’s 2 I’ll probably send him out.

amother
Cherry

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:52 pm
I work because we need the money. But my husband even told me that he sees a difference in my, for the better, when Im out of the house being active. So even though I would have loved to be a SAHM, I think for the better of my entire family, financially and otherwise, I would always work. Maybe not full time like I have to right now.

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 1:10 pm
I work by choice, and my husband works by choice too. We each alone earn more than enough to support our family's needs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics