Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you believe in zodiac signs?
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:06 am
I'm a jerk.

Also I believe it only matters when drilled into you

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I see a lot of similarities in people's signs in regards to their personality traits. People can choose to change their personalities, so nothing is carved in stone. I think it can be a useful jumping off point for an interesting conversation.

I absolutely do NOT believe that the stars foretell our future, and it is against Torah do engage in any kind of fortune telling activities.

I believe the same.
Yes there is some truth to the groupings of personality traits, no to the ability to predict the future.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:25 pm
no

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:31 pm
Not for one moment. Not even for nonJews and certainly not for Jews. The constellations are, however, useful for navigation at night if you can a. See them; b. Recognize them; c. Know where they’re suppposed to be depending on your location and time of year.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:37 pm
You can use it for good.

Under mazel of blood you can become a murderer, shochet or mohel

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:10 pm
dankbar wrote:
You can use it for good.

Or you can laugh at the whole thing and become an accountant.

lilies

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:20 pm
zaq wrote:
Or you can laugh at the whole thing and become an accountant.

To work with bloody numbers LOL

Sorry, will see myself out now..

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:20 pm
lilies wrote:
To work with bloody numbers LOL

Sorry, will see myself out now..

Well, they do use red ink when things are going badly. Maybe that’s why. Ya think?

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:33 pm
Kind of embarrassed to say that I do, so I'm posting anon. And I'm totally not the kind of person who buys into these things. But so many things made sense to me when I read up on this a bit. I know that Jews are not bound by the mazalos, but I do see their influence nonetheless.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 1:47 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Kind of embarrassed to say that I do, so I'm posting anon. And I'm totally not the kind of person who buys into these things. But so many things made sense to me when I read up on this a bit. I know that Jews are not bound by the mazalos, but I do see their influence nonetheless.

I think that's the difference I was trying to say. I don't think we are bound by anything - time, nature, etc - like Hashem can do everything and it says we are above such things too in a way! But those things still exist, have rules and structure and influence us - we are just not fully bound by them.

etky

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:44 am
urban gypsy wrote:
I believe the same.
Yes there is some truth to the groupings of personality traits, no to the ability to predict the future.

There have been studies - I don't remember exactly how scientific they were- that show susceptibility to certain diseases and medical conditions based on the month of ones' birth.
There have also been studies linking environmental conditions in the maternal environment during pregnancy to traits in their offspring.
So I don't think it is so crazy to imagine that there is something to basing personality traits on the time of year of ones' birth.
So I would say I'm agnostic on this issue. There could be something to it, but I agree - nothing to do with predicting a person's future.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:48 am
dankbar wrote:
You can use it for good.

What do you do if you're a woman?

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:56 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
What do you do if you're a woman?

Women can be shochtim, and murderers. I have no idea about milah.

etky

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:28 am
Rappel wrote:
Women can be shochtim, and murderers. I have no idea about milah.

There are opinions among rishonim (and in the gemara) that a woman can perform a brit milah, even melichatchilah.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 7:37 am
When we got the paper I used to like looking at my horoscope, but I typically didn't get to look till the day was over. Then it would be interesting to see if it was accurate.

It's not something I would seek out.

I remember once in college a professor asked what my sign was and when I told him he thought that was interesting. I guess based on what he knew of my personality and star sign. He drew whatever conclusion.

Also, side note, I have written characters and only after developing them I've looked into things like star signs and found them occasionally accurate... And that's without knowing what all the signs are and what they mean.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 8:29 am
I used to think it's all BS but as I get older and learn more I realize more truth to it.
I'm a sagittarius and I've never met a sagittarius I didn't like.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics