Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Touro Manhattan vs. Stern- daily life
Previous  1  2  3

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:42 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
But with Touro your Medical options are limited, and if you go to their Medical School, your specialities are extremely limited because they offer a DO degree which is much harder to find a residency in, especially in competitive choices and maybe even impossible for some.specialties.

Pre-med courses are basically standardized and the same ones are offered at both of those colleges. I don't know anyone who went to touro DOs medical school - everyone who is ambitious enough wants to get an MD.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:45 am
Touro and Stern have a long time rivalry so it will be impossible to get an unbiased view from anyone affiliated with either school. Stern looks down on Touro as "second rate" but honestly, to the rest of the world they're viewed equally. They're both private religious schools that no one has heard of out of the NY area LOL

That said, if you have good grades going to either school will not be an impediment to getting into a good graduate program. Honestly, I personally think they're both a ripoff (as are all private colleges imho) and you'd be better off saving money by going to community college for undergrad unless you're going for very specific fields

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Touro and Stern have a long time rivalry so it will be impossible to get an unbiased view from anyone affiliated with either school. Stern looks down on Touro as "second rate" but honestly, to the rest of the world they're viewed equally. They're both private religious schools that no one has heard of out of the NY area LOL

That said, if you have good grades going to either school will not be an impediment to getting into a good graduate program. Honestly, I personally think they're both a ripoff (as are all private colleges imho) and you'd be better off saving money by going to community college for undergrad unless you're going for very specific fields

This is true. One of the reasons I picked Touro over Stern is that it was basically free for me. I didn't want debt for undergrad.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:29 am

I did not attend either school and am also not affiliated with them. From a secularperspective, Stern is like NYU or USC type school (maybe not NYU today as it has surprisingly become super selective), while Touoro is looked at like a community college. I also know for a fact that graduate programs will look over Touoro apps because of the fraud years ago and the fact that the student chose a less rigorous route some classes with no grades (Israel) etc.

Also, ectomorph, there is nothing wrong with a DO, but it is not competitive for certain specialities. No need to diss the degree.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:31 am
Not true.
They have an MD school now as well (NY Med) but that isn't Touro students only option by far.

I know someone personally who is a Touro student who just recently interviewed at multiple prestigious NY area med schools. She has multiple acceptances so far and is awaiting results from some of the schools.

Prestigious as in Yale, John's Hopkins, Penn, Harvard? And still, even if so, she was still disadvantaged due to her undergraduate program and nonetheless rose above it.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:18 am

I did Touro for undergrad and YU for grad. They’re not looked at equally to the rest of the world . It depends on the specific grad program. Wurzweiler is one of the top rated MSW programs while Touro’s SW program is mediocre .

On the other hand Touro’s CPA program has excellent ratings.

As a whole YU is considered a good school.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:37 am
Dd is interested HR or organizational psych
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics