Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Have you ever forgotten to do something imp for kid?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 10:53 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
My 3rd grade student forgot to bring something for a siyum. She asked if she can leave the class. She came back with a tray filled with muffins. She got it in the lunchroom, they served it that day and put out the extras. She was so adorable. She gave one for every kid.

She was so confident and mature about it. I wanted to give her a hug. Kids need to learn resilience and problem solving skills.

That's amazing! Good for her!

I always try to bring extra for my students. But I also just let them know that it's ok. It's a paper cut in the grand scheme of life. And that they can also take charge of things they need.

Also right before any even that parents are invited to school for I have talk. Some parents work, some mommies just had babies, etc. And that I will send video of them to class chat but also if Mom doesn't come it's ok. And that my mom never could come. And it helped them.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its a very good idea but, I know for fact that this if most probably not something the teacher would let. Its the way the school is run.

I almost told DD that next time she can ask to call me and I will try to brin git to her if it works out. but I know its not something the school/teacher would allow so didn't' suggest it.

I was upset when I mistakenly gave DD double lunch and DS had no lunch in his bag. the morah should have called me to bring over lunch. she gave him pretzels instead and he came home famished. it was a funny mistake but I felt so bad because it was so easily fixable for me.

That's so not ok. If a child is young enough that his mother packs his lunch, she should be called if he doesn't have lunch in his bag! Let the mother decide if she can send over real food or have him eat pretzels. Yuck, that makes me mad.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:11 pm
Forgot to give my son his monthly allowance. He asked on Sunday morning and I said I need to go to the bank in the afternoon. In the evening we had a simcha and he left straight to yeshiva for the next month. bh I found someone going to that town who can bring him the $ this Friday.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:57 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Honeydew this happened to me 2 wks ago-we traveled overseas & it just slipped my mind:(
I usually like to say tehillim,light a candle....
you light a candle on you child's birthday?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:13 am
my husband was watching our kids they were 4 and three year old twins they climbed into the car and pushed down the backseat and went into the trunk thank god my husband heard the banging and crying and took them out
this was thirty years ago he should have never told me this happened I wish I never new about this

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 2:30 pm
Yes seinne

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 2:36 pm
Yes, when my eldest was a newborn, just a few weeks old, I once completely forgot to buckle her into her carseat. I noticed in the mirror while driving that she was slumped strangely all of a sudden and pulled over to check on her. I was horrified to find that she was just lying in the carseat on top of the harness. I am so grateful BH that nothing happened on that drive. Even a small car accident might have been very serious.

rzab

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 2:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its a very good idea but, I know for fact that this if most probably not something the teacher would let. Its the way the school is run.

I almost told DD that next time she can ask to call me and I will try to brin git to her if it works out. but I know its not something the school/teacher would allow so didn't' suggest it.

I was upset when I mistakenly gave DD double lunch and DS had no lunch in his bag. the morah should have called me to bring over lunch. she gave him pretzels instead and he came home famished. it was a funny mistake but I felt so bad because it was so easily fixable for me.

I do this way more often then I care to admit......

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 2:39 pm
This is gonna be one funny-guilt-busting thread.

Oh the confessions!

If you have never messed up, you ain't a true mama!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 3:13 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Yes, when my eldest was a newborn, just a few weeks old, I once completely forgot to buckle her into her carseat. I noticed in the mirror while driving that she was slumped strangely all of a sudden and pulled over to check on her. I was horrified to find that she was just lying in the carseat on top of the harness. I am so grateful BH that nothing happened on that drive. Even a small car accident might have been very serious.

I did this once also with a slightly older baby. I put her hands in the harness straps but didn't buckle it. I came home and was like Confused How did that happen?!

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 3:20 pm
It's a good idea to hang school notes on the fridge or put the item in the child's backpack as soon as you read the note.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 3:36 pm
I have ADHD, it's hard enough for me to be on top of the regular daily stuff, and important appointments. For special things like Shabbos party or pajama day or dress as a book character day or whatever, yeah, I've forgotten a lot. I do try, with calendars and alarms and stuff, which helps, but stuff still falls through the cracks. Recently, my first grader had something (I forget what, lol) where he needed to bring/wear whatever to school, and I forgot. He came home and told me I forgot, and I felt so terrible and told him I was sorry, and he said, "I'm not upset. It's fine. You're a forgetful Ima, that's just the way you are. You're still the best Ima, and good at lots of other things even if you're bad at remembering things!" That was super sweet of him!

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 4:10 pm
I once completely forgot to send challah when my child was Shabbos Abba. Luckily the school had extra but I felt terrible.

At one point when I was either pregnant or postpartum my daughter was assigned to bring in a specific fruit to make a fruit salad (maybe for Tu b'shvat?) and I didn't have it in the house and wasn't able to go grocery shopping and DH had too much on his plate to run out again at night so I contacted the Morah and told her what I had in my fridge and told her I would be happy to send any of those items. The Morah understand and DD was happy to contribute something and didn't really care that it wasn't the assigned item.

I really appreciate it when teachers give a good amount of warning that they need us to send something in and then a reminder the night before. I'd almost rather they buy whatever they need in bulk and ask the parents to send in the money to pay for it.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 4:24 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
as a morah I just want to say we usually have backups in our classroom for the kid who forgets. I always keep an extra grape juice bottle and snack in cabinet in case the shabbos mommy or tatty forgets to bring and I sneak it into their backbacp and say oh look your mommy must have put it ina different pocket! - I keep an extra white shirt on white shirt days, an extra change of clothes etc...
Morahs please keep extras so kids dont feel bad!

You are a very kind, thoughtful morah!

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 4:45 pm
Not school related, but I forgot to pack all my kids shabbos shoes when we went away for shabbos. Luckily we were at a place where we were comfortable and we all just wore socks all shabbos because their weekday shoes that they had worn on Friday were rain boots. They were not happy and I felt bad but my husband took the opportunity to explain to them that people can make mistakes and that's okay.

Aylat

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 4:51 pm
polka dots wrote:
It’s ok. Life happens. It’s one of the lessons kids learn.

I think another lesson that kids learn is how to accept yourself even when you make a mistake. You are a model for her how to do that. So if you keep on apologizing and trying to make up for it you are showing her that it is terrible to mess up.

If you apologize once and validate her feeling of being different in school and ask how she felt or what she did. And decide how next time the two of you can remember better. Like an alarm on phone or to do it as soon as you see the note. Whatever. Then you show her that it’s ok to make a mistake. And when you do you try to see how to better yourself for next time. That’s something kids need to learn too.

Great post.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 4:57 pm
My son is supposed to do 3 rows of kriah homework a night and most nights we do 0-1 Can't Believe It

In my defense he knows his work very well and it takes him forrrrrrevvvver to get through one row. I have a busy household keh and no one else who can do it with him.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 5:17 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Recently, my first grader had something (I forget what, lol) where he needed to bring/wear whatever to school, and I forgot. He came home and told me I forgot, and I felt so terrible and told him I was sorry, and he said, "I'm not upset. It's fine. You're a forgetful Ima, that's just the way you are. You're still the best Ima, and good at lots of other things even if you're bad at remembering things!" That was super sweet of him!

Oh my gosh, what a yummy little guy! You must be so proud, it sounds like he's going to grow up to be a real mentch. Good job mama!

(Seriously, I am dying from the cuteness. Sometimes kids are really amazing.)

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 5:33 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh my gosh, what a yummy little guy! You must be so proud, it sounds like he's going to grow up to be a real mentch. Good job mama!

(Seriously, I am dying from the cuteness. Sometimes kids are really amazing.)

I think all my kids are great, but this one is definitely the best at making people feel good. He says these kinds of things to his siblings too, when they're feeling down. He always sits next to his autistic older brother on the school bus in order to help him make friends. Another thing he once told me, I was feeling down on about being fat, and he overheard me and said, "I like you fat, it makes you more comfortable to hug."

Dolly1

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:10 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I think all my kids are great, but this one is definitely the best at making people feel good. He says these kinds of things to his siblings too, when they're feeling down. He always sits next to his autistic older brother on the school bus in order to help him make friends. Another thing he once told me, I was feeling down on about being fat, and he overheard me and said, "I like you fat, it makes you more comfortable to hug."

That son of urs is absolutely edible!!! Hug
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics