Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
CALIFORNIA ON LOCKDOWN

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 3:01 am
Yep. The entire state. Tonight. For an unknown amount of time. The only stores open are food, medical/pharmacies, gas stations and other "essentials". If not working or buying there? Must stay home.

So all you New Yorkers/east coasters celebrating weddings with too many people, dancing with people, all the people still going to shul, clothes shopping, hanging out with friends.... STOP. this is serious. We were warned to try to stay inside, schools shut down... But no, it was not enough as people kept going on living life like it was normal.
Most people are not working now. Finances are tough. My place of work is still open in a limited fashion so I must go in Monday through Friday (health field). If people violate this - I will be livid. My family has been basically doing this anyways- no play dates, no target runs, no walks with the kids outside even. They haven't left our apartment for almost a week. I only left for food and work. Please obey so we can come out! And so it doesn't happen to your area!!

And don't travel here for any reason. We don't want more people who could be contagious. We don't have enough food in the stores as is!! We need Pesach supplies so if you distribute it as a profession please make sure we get enough. Our community is huge and people won't be going to programs so we need way more than usual... People think we have 1-2 shuls here and few Yidden. We have dozens of schools. With hundreds of children each. From thousands and thousands of families. Then add in grandparents, older singles, families with kids too young/old for school...

Frumwithallergies

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 7:38 am
Hopefully this helps to flatten the curve!

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 7:54 am
I’m in New York. We are not officially on lockdown but I’m living as if there is. Haven’t left the house all week. No play dates.... how is a lockdown different?

trixx

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 8:15 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I’m in New York. We are not officially on lockdown but I’m living as if there is. Haven’t left the house all week. No play dates.... how is a lockdown different?

Same

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 8:17 am
In Lakewood . My kids have only left the house for short walks together on deserted streets.
I did one food run alone.
Otherwise we don’t leave the house.
(My DH is still going to work as long as he can - it can’t be done at home)

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 8:18 am
Also in NY. Haven't left the house since Purim.
It is a good point that the stores will need more since people aren't going away for pesach. I hope they thought of that.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 8:37 am
In Florida, we haven't left the house in days, we don't plan on leaving at all until last minute Pesach essentials in 2 weeks are needed. Most of my neighbors are doing the same.
We're taking it seriously.

I hope and pray all the NYers that usually come to Florida use their brains and don't come!!!!

We have a huge elderly population and they can be killing the by coming. A whole bunch of Rabbonim have issued letters begging people not to come, saying they're considered murderers if they come! But there are always the ones who are selfish and care only about themselves!

This situation is hard and very inconvenient for EVERYONE, why do some think they're above the masses and their plans are more important!?!? Almost every everyone I know has to change Pesach plans, grandparents having Pesach alone, or worse a single grandparent, it's hard and sad but saving lives is where we're at now.

I almost wish they'd enact lockdown in NY and Florida now instead of a few weeks too late.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 9:07 am
In the midwest. Only doing curbside or home delivery shopping. We're not leaving the house anymore. This is what's being advised here too.

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 10:21 am

A lock down is different because there will be a way to enforce people being on the street which would be enforced by social norms. In Northern California people are pretty compliant - you can walk outside so long as you keep distance between yourself and others.

The reason why this was implemented is to prevent everyone getting sick right now and completely overwhelming the medical facilities in the next two or three weeks. If people are still walking around, they will inevitably be infected. If everyone stays inside for two weeks there is less chance you will come into contact with an infected person - become infected - and then infect others. All within a short time frame.

They need to prevent people getting sick right away to the extent possible - that is flattening the curve.

It is really very scary because very reliable sources indicate that there simply isn't enough hospital beds, respirators or even basic medical supplies. There was an article that there are real discussions in Washington State in terms of the ethics of who should be treated - e.g. given a respirator and bed in an ICU unit when there aren't enough to go around.

There aren't masks or suitable gowns for medical personnel who are vulnerable themselves to getting sick from exposure to patients. With the Coronavirus giving medical care is slowed down because the medical personnel have to put on protective clothing before they see a patient versus being able to just walk into the room.

Stay inside wherever you are and keep others inside. New York has more cases confirmed than any other place. California instituted this to attempt to prevent a medical catastrophe.

mig100

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 10:45 am

Me too. Left house only to buy groceries and to take a walk.

When I left I found a newspaper sitting on my porch for a day or 2. We had not opened the door to see it

southernbubby

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 10:56 am
Monsey:
We had to go to the doctor for an important visit for my husband and stopped at a small Hispanic grocery store with few people in it on the way home. We tried to get enough produce to last awhile so that we don't take the risk again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics