Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Curriculum Ideas for 8 year old and 4 year old?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:59 pm
Any ideas of a basic schedule I can follow with them or some lessons and projects I can teach them now that we're home and they're missing out on school? I need some ideas!
Thanks!

Just One

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:02 pm
Do you need a curriculum or just daily schedule? Is their school providing any remote instruction?

Just One

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:03 pm
I posted the following on a different thread

We just got a new printer on Amazon. It's a Brother refurbished laser printer for just around $100. I find it's actually a great investment for saving money. I'm able to print coloring sheets, activity pages, projects, patterns for just the price of paper.
I'm general most of the activities we've done so far have been experiments and other cool stuff using household ingredients. We've made valcanoes, turned pennies green, planning to make slime, experimenting with turning celery different colors. Just check out Pinterest.
Also I find on "school days" my kids are much busier than I thought they would be with their call in conferences, reviews and homework.
Also giving our day a structure really helps. I make sure there's one exciting activity (craft, experiment...) Per day at a set time so they have what to look forward to. Otherwise, this is not vacation. You don't need to be pressured into giving them the time of their lives every second. Sure you want them to have good productive memories of this time, but in my mind these are school days, just in a different setting.
The following is our schedule:
9:00 wakeup
Get dressed, make beds, eat breakfast
Davening
Take brisk walk (I make sure we get out daily. Being cooped up is a sure recipe for cabin fever)
Chores-this is a great time for learning some life skills
Conference/schoolwork mostly happening at this time (different time for each kid)
Lunch (cereal and milk. Mom is allowed a cop out)
1 hour resting time. Little ones take a nap. Older ones have free play. I go into my room to recharge
This is the exiting part of the day: little treat for each child and prepared activity
Kids listen to stories/coloring/free play/help Mommy prep supper
I prepare supper
At 5 tatty takes over suppertime and bedtime while I retire to my room to do some work remotely.

Good luck! I think a bit of structure will make things alot more feasible in every way

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:26 pm
Just One wrote:
I posted the following on a different thread

We just got a new printer on Amazon. It's a Brother refurbished laser printer for just around $100. I find it's actually a great investment for saving money. I'm able to print coloring sheets, activity pages, projects, patterns for just the price of paper.
I'm general most of the activities we've done so far have been experiments and other cool stuff using household ingredients. We've made valcanoes, turned pennies green, planning to make slime, experimenting with turning celery different colors. Just check out Pinterest.
Also I find on "school days" my kids are much busier than I thought they would be with their call in conferences, reviews and homework.
Also giving our day a structure really helps. I make sure there's one exciting activity (craft, experiment...) Per day at a set time so they have what to look forward to. Otherwise, this is not vacation. You don't need to be pressured into giving them the time of their lives every second. Sure you want them to have good productive memories of this time, but in my mind these are school days, just in a different setting.
The following is our schedule:
9:00 wakeup
Get dressed, make beds, eat breakfast
Davening
Take brisk walk (I make sure we get out daily. Being cooped up is a sure recipe for cabin fever)
Chores-this is a great time for learning some life skills
Conference/schoolwork mostly happening at this time (different time for each kid)
Lunch (cereal and milk. Mom is allowed a cop out)
1 hour resting time. Little ones take a nap. Older ones have free play. I go into my room to recharge
This is the exiting part of the day: little treat for each child and prepared activity
Kids listen to stories/coloring/free play/help Mommy prep supper
I prepare supper
At 5 tatty takes over suppertime and bedtime while I retire to my room to do some work remotely.

Good luck! I think a bit of structure will make things alot more feasible in every way

Thanks for reposting. This is great! I need to get motivated to find some special activities and put a list together.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:28 pm
Just One wrote:
Do you need a curriculum or just daily schedule? Is their school providing any remote instruction?

4 year old is having no remote learning and is missing all Pesach learning. 8 year old has minimal amount. So any ideas or suggestions are appreciated- daily schedule and curriculum. Thanks!

Just One

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:43 pm
Can't help with curriculum. When I first put my schedule together I added an hour of learning with Mommy but I realized that I'm just not up to it at this point. B"h my two oldests have their learning time with teachers and they learn alot from the CDs we turn on. Homeschooling them would be a dream though if I had the headspace.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:52 pm
There are lots of resources here: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....85619

I'll stay out of schedule, just that it should include davening (however brief).

For curriculum, you want the kids to know:
- basic story of Yetziyas Mitzrayim
- how to read the Mah Nishtana or sing part of it
- what is expected during the parts of the seder
- not eating/owning chometz on Pesach

Practically, use the Mah Nishtana trainer (linked in the thread above) for Mah Nishtana.
Watch or listen to the story of Pesach (also in resources above)
Run a model seder using candy or fruit
Have a discussion about chometz/matzah

Anything else is bonus at this point.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling